Main Menu

Tactical Vest Regs

Started by Fiddes_CAP-065, February 12, 2008, 02:15:14 AM

mynetdude

you know if you want to get technical about vests and stuff... we have a guy in our squadron who wears an OD survival vest or I don't know its really called he calls it a survival vest... he only wears it during aircrew flights.

He says its a good way to have all your immediate gear on your body should the plane crash and you have to get out and don't want to have to think about getting your carried gear out from the back (as if you can get to that?), sure the vest isn't a carry all but its ON you and it goes WITH you when you evac the aircraft or if you are pulled out of the wreckage at least its ON you.

There are no regulations saying you can't do this, although I would make sure that there is enough room for you to manuever whether you are in the back seat or in the right/left seat.

Flying Pig

I wear the standard USAF issue survival vest when I fly.  I think what we are getting at here  is people who show up looking like Infantryman with full load bearing gear and magazine and grenade pouches.

mynetdude

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 15, 2008, 06:30:02 AM
I wear the standard USAF issue survival vest when I fly.  I think what we are getting at here  is people who show up looking like Infantryman with full load bearing gear and magazine and grenade pouches.

So what? as long as you don't have the real thing or a dummy one who cares? Hey I'll bet those grenade pouches can hold other USEFUL stuff right? I'll bet those magazine holders are big enough to hold some pocket knives (allowed to be carried by an SM/Officer).

Though I do understand what you're saying... if you dress looking like someone going to war, there might be a slight problem with that to some people or your community.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: BlackKnight on February 15, 2008, 04:16:30 AM
This argument against a tactical vest is a bit irrelevant because when you're in the field you're wearing your orange vest, right?  ;)
The orange vest covers your BDU patches and insignia just like the tactical vest does.  Only your sleeve patches will be visible.

I wear this orange vest

all the pockets on my vest rig are still accessible
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

JayT

Quote from: mynetdude on February 15, 2008, 07:50:18 AM

So what? as long as you don't have the real thing or a dummy one who cares? Hey I'll bet those grenade pouches can hold other USEFUL stuff right? I'll bet those magazine holders are big enough to hold some pocket knives (allowed to be carried by an SM/Officer).

Though I do understand what you're saying... if you dress looking like someone going to war, there might be a slight problem with that to some people or your community.

Yeah, but you don't need it. The pilot survival vest is designed to help you survive for a short period of time. Flying with an assult vest on might allow you to carry a bunch of junk, but mostly it would get in the way I would think!

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

floridacyclist

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on February 15, 2008, 07:24:10 PM
I wear this orange vest

all the pockets on my vest rig are still accessible
While that may meet the letter of the reg requiring an orange vest, it sure seems to defeat the whole purpose of wearing one...at least in the daytime.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

mynetdude

Quote from: JThemann on February 19, 2008, 02:35:52 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on February 15, 2008, 07:50:18 AM

Yeah, but you don't need it. The pilot survival vest is designed to help you survive for a short period of time. Flying with an assult vest on might allow you to carry a bunch of junk, but mostly it would get in the way I would think!

Survival vests are different than tac vests I get that, and I do agree that tac vests could/can get in the way if you are in an aircraft.  I was just pointing out that survival vests are not in regulation and I've seen people wear them over their flight suits.

Hawk200

Quote from: mynetdude on February 19, 2008, 06:48:53 PM
Survival vests are different than tac vests I get that, and I do agree that tac vests could/can get in the way if you are in an aircraft.  I was just pointing out that survival vests are not in regulation and I've seen people wear them over their flight suits.

Most of the rucksacks that people carry are not in the regulation. The reg specifies the contents of various 24 and 72 hour packs, but doesn't say what the pack itself should be.

Kneeboards are not mentioned in the reg, but pilots/aircrew wear them. It comes off when the engine stops, though. Anyone walking around a mission base with a board still strapped to their leg is going to look like an idiot. Same with a survival vest.

When I'm riding scanner, I wear a ballcap to keep the sun out of my eyes. Makes scanning easier. But when the flight is over (that engine stop thing again), it comes off. It's simply using equipment while performing the duty. Once the duty is over, the gear gets put away.

Their are things used that are not in the regulation, but are useful while doing the work. It's possible to get a little too hung up on the pubs. As long as there are no safety issues, or it doesn't discredit CAP, be practical.

Stonewall

I've always been a strong advocate of standard LEB type web gear.  Same goes for standard ruck sacks like the large ALICE and CFP-90.  However, this doesn't mean I'm anti-vest or anything for that matter.  My opinions regarding LBE etc. is because it was always very easy to get, very inexpensive and very durable.  Not to mention the whole professional image thing with uniformity.  I still say that's important, regardless of what others say.

Now, onto vests.  I got myself a Blackhawk STRIKE vest and now that I won't be wearing it for the AF, I thought about using it for CAP.  It's OD and looks pretty good with BDUs.  With its MOLLE interchangable pouches, I looked and found some good/useful attachments for CAP/SAR/ES. 

Here is an image from the BHD catalog:

Then you've got every utility pouch you could need here

Small, medium and largue utility pouches; first aid, compass, smoke, strobe, signal, compass, admin (my favorite), canteen, hydration, camera, cell phone, and the list goes on.

I really think this could be an excellent option for CAP ES if one could afford it.  Just a quick estimate, I'd say you could spend up to $250 on a complete set.  But if you're in it for the long haul, it would be worth the price.  Especially for its interchangability, durability and professional look.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

On the same kindof line, I found a setup that I really like but haven't found affordable yet.  The SDS RACK, or Ranger Assault Carry Kit, is a full MOLLE adjustable deal.  Lots of pouches and stuff.  I just want to find one that I can afford.

Trouble

Quote from: sargrunt on February 26, 2008, 11:57:42 PM
On the same kindof line, I found a setup that I really like but haven't found affordable yet.  The SDS RACK, or Ranger Assault Carry Kit, is a full MOLLE adjustable deal.  Lots of pouches and stuff.  I just want to find one that I can afford.

If you are looking at getting a RACK, go for a Tactical Tailor MAV with X-harness instead, you will be much happier, TT made the original RACK for the 75th back in the 90's, then the Gov. had NATICK through SDS make its own version (i.e. ripped-off) of the MAV.    I would recommend the split-front version as its easy on/off.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

Hawk200

Quote from: sargrunt on February 26, 2008, 11:57:42 PM

If you go for the full kit, it will cost you a bundle. There are numerous places that offer the basic carrier, many for $35 or less. You can piecemeal the rest, as there will probably be things that you don't really need, and you can add things not part of the standard kit that you can use.