Main Menu

Tactical Vest Regs

Started by Fiddes_CAP-065, February 12, 2008, 02:15:14 AM

Fiddes_CAP-065

Does anybody know where I can find the regulations on Cadets wearing a BlackHawk style Tactical Vest  ?

http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp?D=D0047&S=&C=&N=1&pricestart=&priceend=
C/SMSgt Fiddes

Hawk200

There isn't one. If it doesn't have holsters, large knives, and ammo pockets there probably isn't any real harm. A Medic vest would be suitable for Ground Team activities, but some of the others aren't really necessary or appropriate.

That being said, make certain that your chain of command doesn't have any issues with it.

JayT

Quote from: Fiddes_CAP-065 on February 12, 2008, 02:15:14 AM
Does anybody know where I can find the regulations on Cadets wearing a BlackHawk style Tactical Vest  ?

There really isn't 'uniform' regulations on field gear like this past camelbaks. But, like the man said, as long as your chain of command doesn't have a problem with it...

But, think long about wasting the money. Do you really 'need' this vest? Can you carry everything you need to on it? Can you carry to much on it?

Futher more, is it worth the cost? Can the money be spent elsewhere on CAP stuff?

Just curious, do you have a regulation jacket for your blues?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

mynetdude

Quote from: JThemann on February 12, 2008, 02:26:11 AM

There really isn't 'uniform' regulations on field gear like this past camelbaks. But, like the man said, as long as your chain of command doesn't have a problem with it...

But, think long about wasting the money. Do you really 'need' this vest? Can you carry everything you need to on it? Can you carry to much on it?

Futher more, is it worth the cost? Can the money be spent elsewhere on CAP stuff?

Are you referring to the AF style service coat? If so, yes I bought my own the squadron issued one to me but then when I got promoted I could no longer wear it as it had no epaulettes (of course I could have just added some and had them put on by a professional seamstress but I had to make sure it met regulation and it didn't look out of line).  I've been able to wear mine for 6 months until now, the winter fattening is getting to me so I'm out of regulation anything.

They need to stick me in the cadet physical training program :D, so for now I'm in civvies until I can buy me a set of corporate dress and BBDU/Flight suits

W3ZR

Does someone have a split personality or is it just me ?

Robert Montgomery, soon to be former Captain, CAP

brasda91

Quote from: mynetdude on February 12, 2008, 05:24:36 AM

Are you referring to the AF style service coat? If so, yes I bought my own the squadron issued one to me but then when I got promoted I could no longer wear it as it had no epaulettes (of course I could have just added some and had them put on by a professional seamstress but I had to make sure it met regulation and it didn't look out of line).  I've been able to wear mine for 6 months until now, the winter fattening is getting to me so I'm out of regulation anything.

They need to stick me in the cadet physical training program :D, so for now I'm in civvies until I can buy me a set of corporate dress and BBDU/Flight suits

netdue, I don't think the question of the service coat was directed towards you, unless you're using two different usernames.  The question was directed to Fiddes, the original poster.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Flying Pig

From your logo, something tells me you are referring to a tac vest one might wear when playing AirSoft?   For the most part, unless you get one specific to SAR/medical, it probably wouldn't serve you well.  In my own unit, if a cadet showed up with ammo pouches full of bandages, I would have to say "No".

If you decide to go through with it, there are other MANY companies other than Blackhawk who specialize in medical/SAR vests.  You can also get them in other colors such as orange or blue vs. black or green.

NIN

Not only that, but every time I see someone wearing one of these tactical vests (and even the LBV) for SAR purposes, I have to laugh out loud. They just look bloody ridiculous.  They usually have 2-3x as many pouches as they legitimately need crammed with all manner of stuff that is of marginal value.

Not only that, but they're basically "another layer" on top of your uniform.  That might be a good thing in the winter time, but in the summer, time there is very little I want between me and the air. 

My experience with these things has been limited to trying one on, using it for awhile and saying "Gawd, no, too darn [insert one or more: cumbersome, hot, heavy, chafing, gear-queer-ish]." 

I was at a SAREX base a few months ago and some cadet showed up for ground team. I watched him shamble his way across the parking lot with a 3-day assault pack LOADED to the gills with stuff, plus some kind of tactical vest, and the guy had a set of those hard kneepads that were down around his ankles.

(like these dudes:
)

I felt like saying "Uh, Fallujah is like 8,500 miles that way, guy.."

I understand the need for equipment that suits your purpose.

I'm even willing to look the other way a little when it comes to things like boonie hats and bandannas around the neck and that sort of thing when it has a specific purpose, is worn appropriately, and isn't causing issues with the chain of command (ie. you're out sluffing thru the woods in the hot sun in July.. OK, I can totally go with letting someone get away with their boonie hat for that time.  Get in the vehicle to go back to mission base, your soft cap goes back on.  And don't tell me you need your boonie hat when the rest of us are wearing watch caps 'cuz the temp is -10 with wind chill. And don't show up going "All I have is my boonie hat. I left my soft cap at home.." cuz you're gonna trudge your happy butt home to get your soft cap rather than wearing that unauthorized boonie hat around mission base and drawing fire for the rest of us...).

But showing up at the mission base looking like you just trudged off the Chinook that flew you back to Bagram after 4 days in Operation Anaconda is not appropriate.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Hawk200

Quote from: NIN on February 12, 2008, 05:45:21 PM
I was at a SAREX base a few months ago and some cadet showed up for ground team. I watched him shamble his way across the parking lot with a 3-day assault pack LOADED to the gills with stuff, plus some kind of tactical vest, and the guy had a set of those hard kneepads that were down around his ankles.

I felt like saying "Uh, Fallujah is like 8,500 miles that way, guy.."

But showing up at the mission base looking like you just trudged off the Chinook that flew you back to Bagram after 4 days in Operation Anaconda is not appropriate.

I've seen a few of those too. The kneepads still make me laugh, I've never known anyone that needed them in the field in the Army. Maybe when you're doing MOUT stuff, but for the most part they're not necessary.

Lot of folks want our exceercises and missions to look like military operations, but that's the wrong way. If it runs with military "efficiciency", then I'm all  for it. But if it's an attempt to look like a bunch of soldiers going into the field, that's not what we're about.

I've even had a few people look at me when I wore what they thought was less than I needed, and ask if I had enough. I carry a few items on a load carrier, and I always have a CamelBak. Strangely, I only see a few people that think about the fact that you need water all the time. Many people don't think to carry it.

mynetdude

Quote from: brasda91 on February 12, 2008, 03:54:16 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on February 12, 2008, 05:24:36 AM

netdue, I don't think the question of the service coat was directed towards you, unless you're using two different usernames.  The question was directed to Fiddes, the original poster.

wasn't paying attention then  :o /me walks away quietly....

Flying Pig

Ahhh, yes.  The kneepads around the ankles.....very Infantryish. 

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 14, 2008, 07:01:00 AM
Ahhh, yes.  The kneepads around the ankles.....very Infantryish. 

I have a set that I keep caribeanered(spelling?) to my gear.  I have them because I hate scraping my knees/getting them wet in mud, snow, etc.  I usually don't wear them but I have them just in case.

NIN

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 14, 2008, 08:45:05 AM
I have a set that I keep caribeanered(spelling?) to my gear.  I have them because I hate scraping my knees/getting them wet in mud, snow, etc.  I usually don't wear them but I have them just in case.

But you don't put them on, then push them down to your ankles and go trudging into the mission base building trying to look 'ard, do you?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mynetdude

Quote from: NIN on February 14, 2008, 02:12:21 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on February 14, 2008, 08:45:05 AM

But you don't put them on, then push them down to your ankles and go trudging into the mission base building trying to look 'ard, do you?

lolz I look 'tarded enough wearing my own kneepads for IT work when I wear my AF BDUs around the hangar/mission base.  A lot of times I'd rather kneel and crouch over the PC to see if there is anything wrong or prepare it to be disconnected or whatever rather than just disconnecting it pulling it off the floor and putting it on a desk when I can simply just fix it right there if it is a small/easy fix.

I don't really have much of a workshop table to put my IT warez so I end up using the floor so I end up needing kneepads anyway.

EDIT: silly quotes things gets way out of hand.

SKYKING607

My personal concern is a tactical vest covering our uniform insignias.  Here in Calif. we have encountered too many remote locations where our "weed-growing friends" hang out with clandestine "groves" and "labs."  Imagine stompin' in the bush and coming across one of these operations?  Guys....first thing these "yahoos" are going to think is to shoot first.  Maybe some way to have our insignias or other distinctive markings on such equipment?

Some CAMP crews wear woodland BDUs are are known to the bad guys.  I still like my ALICE pack and LBE for such operations.

Just an opinion.
CAWG Career Captain

Duke Dillio

I know there are a few here in CA wing that are mourning the loss of the "ground team uniform," ala bright orange shirt and blue pants. 

Back to the topic thread, I personally own a Ferno First Responder vest which I like very much.  It has reflective panels on it and has red pockets on the black mesh.  It breathes very easily and has room for everything that I need.  Here's a link:

http://www.usemc.com/Ferno-5106-Responder-II-Mesh-Vest-p/0819784.htm

mikeylikey

Quote from: SKYKING607 on February 14, 2008, 07:55:31 PM
My personal concern is a tactical vest covering our uniform insignias.  Here in Calif. we have encountered too many remote locations where our "weed-growing friends" hang out with clandestine "groves" and "labs."  Imagine stompin' in the bush and coming across one of these operations?  Guys....first thing these "yahoos" are going to think is to shoot first.  Maybe some way to have our insignias or other distinctive markings on such equipment?

Some CAMP crews wear woodland BDUs are are known to the bad guys.  I still like my ALICE pack and LBE for such operations.

Just an opinion.

Wow.  That brings back memories.  When I was a terd ROTC cadet at fort Lewis WA for "summer camp", we were doing squad STX (patrolling and infantry stuff), when we came across  a few meth labs.  These idiot drug makers would sneak onto the post in the remote "foresty" areas and set-up shop.  We were given a briefing that "if we were to come across such a set-up mark the location on your map and run away as fast as you could". 

I don't think bad drug people would NOT shoot anyone that came across them.  No matter what uniform they were wearing.
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

the first responder vests almost look like a better choice than using tac vests for some stuff... but then again would it be allowed as it isn't woodland cammo?

JayT

Quote from: mynetdude on February 14, 2008, 09:22:53 PM
the first responder vests almost look like a better choice than using tac vests for some stuff... but then again would it be allowed as it isn't woodland cammo?

Read the above posts. There isn't any regulation on stuff like this.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

BlackKnight

Quote from: SKYKING607 on February 14, 2008, 07:55:31 PM

Just an opinion.

This argument against a tactical vest is a bit irrelevant because when you're in the field you're wearing your orange vest, right?  ;)
The orange vest covers your BDU patches and insignia just like the tactical vest does.  Only your sleeve patches will be visible.

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/