Main Menu

Trekking poles on SAR

Started by Walkman, December 22, 2007, 04:13:18 AM

Walkman

As I hike & backpack more and more, using some sort of walking stick/trekking pole makes things much easier.

Have you ever used something like this for SAR? Ever seen anyone doing it?

_

I tried one for a while.  The problem I found was that it was always snagging on trees and bushes and such.  I spent most of the time getting it unstuck.  It eventually because more of a hassle than it was worth.  On a trail they're great but not so much off trail.  They can be used as tracking sticks but a wooden dowel would probably be better for that purpose.

_

The NASAR SARTECH 2 book does list an additional use for a trekking pole, a "motivator".   >:D

isuhawkeye

Trecking poles are great, and can be a valuable tool for measuring pace length, and foot size

sardak

I know a number of people that use trekking poles in SAR.  I personally find them to be a PITA, except when I'm on snowshoes, and then I'm using ski poles.

As mentioned, trekking poles can be used effectively as tracking sticks.

Mike

Walkman

Quote from: sardak on December 22, 2007, 07:47:15 AM
I personally find them to be a PITA

What made it difficult? I'm just a newb on GT so...

IceNine

Remembering to grab it when you rest, constantly carrying something for a possible few mile trek,  Finding a place to put it when the brush it too thick to take it along, And the list goes on.

I have one but it only goes to sarex's and usually only comes out to play when I am GBD.  And I have been known to bring it along to encampment, and squadron activities as a "cadet motivator"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

sardak

Quote from: Walkman on December 22, 2007, 05:40:06 PM
Quote from: sardak on December 22, 2007, 07:47:15 AM
I personally find them to be a PITA

What made it difficult? I'm just a newb on GT so...
I don't find that they make hiking easier, and aren't required for balance or stability.  I prefer to have my hands free when hiking.  As IceNine said, they are just one more item to deal with and think about.  They also can be a real nuisance on litter evacs.

However, some people like using trekking poles or hiking sticks, so try them out for yourself.

Mike

♠SARKID♠

Find yourself a wooded park, put your gear on, grab a hiking pole, and take a walk.  Thats the best way to test out anything you plan to use in the field.  Doing that, I went through 3 different gear configurations before I found the one I like and use now.

isuhawkeye

if you work, and play in the midwest with relatively flat terrain you may see little need for this tool, however if you work in the mountains, travel across scree fields, or other uneven terrain they are an excellent tool. 

Walkman

Quote from: isuhawkeye on December 24, 2007, 04:29:32 PM
if you work, and play in the midwest with relatively flat terrain you may see little need for this tool, however if you work in the mountains, travel across scree fields, or other uneven terrain they are an excellent tool. 

Yup, I'm in the Rockies. The only way in or out of our valley is through the canyons, so probably 90% of any SAR work I'll do is going to be up in the mountains. The first FTX I was on, I had trouble hiking the ascent in the snow. There was a small bit of a "path" from others ahead, but it was a PITB.

I'm getting some for my everyday hiking/camping needs anyway, so I'll pack 'em on the next SAREX and try it. Most of the poles I'm looking at only weigh 15-16oz anyway, so the extra 2 pounds won't to bad if I decide to throw them on my pack.