Main Menu

Portable Radios

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, November 29, 2007, 07:46:00 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on December 02, 2007, 01:01:01 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 30, 2007, 07:33:10 PM

Not to mention the fact that >you< don't get a callsign, your station does, and if you already have a station, bought or issued, why would you bother illegally modding a radio?

I'm confused at your stating that only stations have callsigns. Are you referring to a HAM or a CAP radio? I have a (CAP) callsign (Redfire 1**) but I do not have a radio. Nor does my unit have any radios, not even ISRs.

I did some checking with my Wing DC and this apparently is a local Wing policy, not a national one - the reasoning being that based on our current plan, we only have XX### to work with, which results in only 999 possible call signs, and is an issue for larger wings.

So on this, YMMV per wing...

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

I understand what you're saying but my cadet commander has the callsign Redfire 7*** so Indiana wing has 10000 possible callsigns. There appears to be little rhyme other than cadets are 7000 series, ACUT callsigns start at 101 and the wing staff start with the wing commander as Redfire 1 and go from there. I do know that you can have 2 callsigns. One is yours and is permanent and the other is your position and gets assigned to your replacement when you leave.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on December 02, 2007, 01:27:52 AM
I understand what you're saying but my cadet commander has the callsign Redfire 7*** so Indiana wing has 10000 possible callsigns. There appears to be little rhyme other than cadets are 7000 series, ACUT callsigns start at 101 and the wing staff start with the wing commander as Redfire 1 and go from there. I do know that you can have 2 callsigns. One is yours and is permanent and the other is your position and gets assigned to your replacement when you leave.

I can't speak to what IN is doing, but that doesn't sound correct at least in as much as the number of digits.

Anyone have a reg handy they can cite?

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

Quote from: Cobra1597 on December 01, 2007, 06:15:18 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on December 01, 2007, 06:03:39 AM
Did I not predict that a few radio people would freak out over my generalizations? They are just soooo predictable! On the question of whether the FCC would have jurisdiction, the answer is yes. The second you operate a non-FCC type- approved radio modified to operate out of the ham bands, you have comitted a violation. I am not aware of any enforcement capability within the NTIA. My guess is that they would turn knowing and willful violations over to the regular federal authorities. Since we have established now that the use of non-approved radios, or modified ham radios is illegal, immoral, and violates CAP regs, I am sure that you will make a citizens arrest for a violation of the the U.S. Code the next time you see a CAP member use his VX-150.......Thank you eclipse, for safeguarding the moral, legal and regulatory rules of CAP!

Major Lord

Yeah, I think you may be going overboard with the claim about the VX-150. According to my wing's comm staff, we are still authorized to use the VX-150, the only restriction is that new VX-150s can't be registered or given callsigns. Ones that were already authorized before a certain date are still legal (for now, that will change at some point).

Thats right, VX-150's purchased or placed into service before January 2006 are wideband compliant. These radios are narrow band capable, but don't meet the NTIA specifications. Mainly, their frequency stability (at 5 ppm) is twice the allowable spec. All ham radios will sunset eventually (my beloved Icom 706MKIIG was cut from the list of allowed radios, causing me much grief!) I was being tounge-in-cheek when I suggested arresting people for using the wrong radios. I look at regulations the way I look at safety equipment: Its not what they protect you from, but what they allow you to do!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Lord on December 02, 2007, 01:35:36 AMI look at regulations the way I look at safety equipment: Its not what they protect you from, but what they allow you to do!

Well...good luck with that...

The VX-400 and VX-180's fall into the same category as well - capable but non-compliant unless in-service before Jan 06.

The initial issue was that there were few, if any,  "inexpensive" radios which were both NB & WB compliant, making it difficult to buy a radio pre-NB-cutover, because who wants to spend $1-400 or more on something which is a brick (for our use) in 6-months to a year.

Since then, they have revised the standards, and much of what was touted as replacements fell off the list as well.

We have some people in my wing who bought (then) compliant equipment, but sat on the certification
and licensing until after the new standard was published and had "issues" getting the radios put into service.

Right now its near-ought impossible to know if a radio in a members' hand is "legal" or not, or for that matter if the member is even appropriately licensed, however after the cutover, that will change somewhat, though not 100%.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

So you're saying that the brand new VX-400V I found in my new squadron's cabinet is useless? (it isn't registered)
GEORGE LURYE

Cobra1597

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 09, 2007, 02:14:48 AM
So you're saying that the brand new VX-400V I found in my new squadron's cabinet is useless? (it isn't registered)

If it isn't on the currently approved list and isn't registered, you won't be able to register it now and use it.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Eclipse

Quote from: Cobra1597 on December 09, 2007, 03:31:45 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on December 09, 2007, 02:14:48 AM

If it isn't on the currently approved list and isn't registered, you won't be able to register it now and use it.

According to the NTC site, the VX-400 must have been in-service prior to January 2006 to be compliant.

My advice would be to discuss this with your Wing DC ASAP.  He may be able to work with you on the definition of "in-service" - I have seen where some DC's are legalistic and hold to the letter of "licensed by CAP to you by Jan/06", some more lenient and saying if it was in use "anywhere", CAP or otherwise, it'll be ok, and some saying that if you bought it prior, but circumstances precluded getting it licensed, they will let you use it.

However, if you have a virgin radio, with a receipt dated Jan 06+, you may well have an expensive paperweight (as far as CAP use).

And if its on your books, as it should be, you can't even sell it without permission, and if you do, the proceeds are corporate funds that have to be returned to NHQ, with no guarantee they will be returned to the unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I know my wing has 4-digit call signs available but frankly, personal radio call signs are hardly ever used.  I suppose they might if we operated a comm net, but we don't.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2007, 02:06:54 PM
I know my wing has 4-digit call signs available but frankly, personal radio call signs are hardly ever used.  I suppose they might if we operated a comm net, but we don't.

What do you use? Tactical only?

Are you sure they aren't running a net, maybe you just not in range of the repeators - we have that issue in some areas.

"That Others May Zoom"