Main Menu

Mounting a CAP radio

Started by davidsinn, September 03, 2010, 03:36:57 AM

davidsinn

Does anyone know if a CAP mobile radio will fit in an in-dash mount? I'm thinking about replacing my double DIN sized radio with a single anyway and I'd like to requisition a mobile and mount it all cleanly in the dash. Can I do it?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

I forget the measurements, but my dash was nowhere near deep enough for the CAP radio (and cables), even if the other dimensions could squeak by.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

cap235629

I believe it will fit in a din opening
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

What are the dimensions of a DIN opening?

An EFJ 5317 measures 2 1/8" H, 7 1/8" W, 9 1/2" D with cable allowance from the faceplate mating plane, add another 1 1/2" for the faceplate and knobs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on September 03, 2010, 04:40:31 AM
What are the dimensions of a DIN opening?

An EFJ 5317 measures 2 1/8" H, 7 1/8" W, 9 1/2" D with cable allowance from the faceplate mating plane, add another 1 1/2" for the faceplate and knobs.

Wiki says it's 2x7 but I don't know if that's the hole or the radio itself.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Thom

The standard DIN opening is 180mm Wide by 50mm High.  Double DIN is 180mm Wide by 100mm High.

That standard measurement should be for the dash opening, allowing you to put in a radio that is actually 180x50 IF you make your own mounting bracket provisions, and do not expect to have any sort of bracket to hold it in the opening.

Most car stereos use a bracket for easier installation which mounts into this opening, reducing the allowable size of the radio to something like 178x48.  ish...

I believe the 9.5" Depth of the EFJ is probably the biggest problem here.

Thom

arajca

I've actually test fit a standard din stereo and EFJ into a double din opening. They fit, but will require some custom bracketry to mount and a little trimming of a flange on the backside of the opening. In a E350, depth is not an issue and if you pull the doghouse, there is lots of room to work.