Main Menu

Airborne Wireless Network

Started by ♠SARKID♠, February 05, 2008, 08:32:45 AM

wacapgh

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 08, 2008, 01:26:19 PM
OK, so now that we've established the objective (remember, always let your objective drive your thinking, not the methods) we have a better idea of what you're trying to do. How far apart are the two command posts? This could be as simple as a plastic box with two parabolic or yagi antennas, one pointing at each command post and a stock Linksys router all mounted on top of a TV antenna tower. Given your objective of linking two relatively fixed points, this makes more sense than putting up a high-bird and burning a lot of fuel and time, plus losing connectivity at every shift change.

You might also look at multiple ways to access the internet and use some sort of internet linking with telephone backup. Have you looked at 900Mhz spread-spectrum serial radios? I understand those have a lot more range, but I'm not sure how much bandwidth they can pass.

Check with some of the folks at www.part-15.org or www.part15.us. I don't believe they are connected to the old www.part15.org folks who re-wired New Orleans wirelessly in the first few weeks after Katrina, but they seem to be into this kind of thing. I know in Mississippi we had a bunch of guys in there from part15 shooting wireless from water tower to water tower and then distributing it around town; it seemed wierd driving around an area of such total devastation yet having high-speed wireless on my laptop LOL

But how likely is it that CAP could climb up onto a water tower and install said equipment after the disaster has taken place?
An airborne system is mobile (could be used for the purpose anywhere in the nation)
I also question the ability of any ground based power system used for any tower based relay.  -- The guys in Katrina were using what? Batteries? Batteries hooked up solar cells?

Another question: Assuming anairborne system is possible; would it fit into/ onto a Cessna or aan Airvan?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Matt

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 08, 2008, 09:51:12 PM
But how likely is it that CAP could climb up onto a water tower and install said equipment after the disaster has taken place?
An airborne system is mobile (could be used for the purpose anywhere in the nation)
I also question the ability of any ground based power system used for any tower based relay.  -- The guys in Katrina were using what? Batteries? Batteries hooked up solar cells?

Another question: Assuming anairborne system is possible; would it fit into/ onto a Cessna or aan Airvan?

Actually, they were using StarBand Internet (or at least ours was) with GlobalStar Phones.

Yes, the system would, in theory fit into a Cessna, with the number crunches I've been making, the largest part of all the kits deficiencies would boil down to size, the weight, we're under by 400lbs on a C-172, about 600 on a C-182 and about 1200 on a GA8.  The only thing that might bring us close to weight limits are the 5kW Kohler generators I've been spec'ing.  They come in around 110lbs each, but are about the size a standard computer tower (L28xD15xH23.56).

Sizing up the kits will be a large issue come go-time.  The main problem with GA-8s is the HSI equipment, per reg, cannot be removed...  Anyone have a weight on that stuffs?
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Major Lord

I don't know if you have seen these, but these Aerocomm radios are designed to set up a wireless LAN. 1 Watt gives 20 Miles with good antennae, and you can probably do a lot better with a high gain dircetional antenna on the base station end. License free and 900 MHZ, which will have roughly 6 times lower path losses than a 2.4 Ghz system.

http://www.aerocomm.com/rf_data_modems/connexnet_serial-ethernet_converter.htm

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

♠SARKID♠

Hmm...interesting.  Not too keen on the 115.2 Kbps transfer rate, but beggars can't be choosers.