Remembering Colonel Obed "Pancho" Donaldson - CAP Hall of Honor Inductee

Started by Cindi, August 21, 2011, 05:35:01 PM

Cindi

Below, circa 1970, the Civil Air Patrol and the Governor of Oregon, from left to right: Cadet Busig, Cadet Kenny, Lt. Col. Dorothy M. Swain, Oregon Governor Tom McCall, Colonel Obed A. "Pancho" Donaldson (CAP Hall of Honor Inductee), Air Force Major James Bassett, Oregon Wing Liason Officer:

Colonel Obed Armstrong "Pancho" Donaldson (May 30, 1907 - Jan. 19, 1988), CAP Hall of Honor Inductee. Pancho was born in Kentucky and died in Portland, Oregon. He was the Oregon Wing commander and the owner of Donaldson's Marina in Portland:

AdAstra

I had the honor of meeting Colonel Donaldson the last year he was director of Pacific Region Staff College (1983?), and and the unique opportunity to listen to some of his exploits.

I'm wondering if this is the photo from which his bust was sculpted for the Hall of Honor?
Charles Wiest

Cindi

Quote from: AdAstra on August 21, 2011, 10:19:49 PM
I had the honor of meeting Colonel Donaldson the last year he was director of Pacific Region Staff College (1983?), and and the unique opportunity to listen to some of his exploits.

I'm wondering if this is the photo from which his bust was sculpted for the Hall of Honor?

I am not sure what photo they used for Pancho's bust. This photo was of then Governor McCall proclaiming Civil Air Patrol Day in Oregon in 1970. With Colonel "Pancho" Donaldson were the two wing cadets of the year, the Wing Deputy Commander for Cadets and the Air Force Wing Liaison Officer. So little has been posted about Pancho, I thought I would post this 41 year old picture of him. Would love to hear more about his exploits and see more pictures of Colonel Donaldson. Oregon Wing was very active when he was the wing commander.

Майор Хаткевич

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BillB on August 22, 2011, 12:26:23 AM
It's not a white uniform it's a blue dacron material

...Duh, eh? Blues shirts seem white, so I should have assumed that was blue as well. But still, I don't think that combo survives today?

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 22, 2011, 12:31:13 AM
Quote from: BillB on August 22, 2011, 12:26:23 AM
It's not a white uniform it's a blue dacron material

...Duh, eh? Blues shirts seem white, so I should have assumed that was blue as well. But still, I don't think that combo survives today?

It was gone by 1983. It's actually a blue and white pinstripe, that looked more white than blue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cindi

Mr. John V. "Jack" Sorenson and Colonel Obed "Pancho" Donaldson inducted into the CAP Hall of Honor (circa 1988):