2008 Annual Report to Congress

Started by CAP Producer, March 10, 2009, 02:04:30 PM

CAP Producer

The NHQ PA Team posted the 2008 Annual Report to Congress at the link below:

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_national_hq/cap_annual_reports/

Just finished reading it and once again they have done a great job!

Thanks and have a great day.

Al.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Bluelakes 13

Not to toot my own horn (OK, I will!)  but two of my photos made the Report -

Pg. 23, NCC and Pg. 27 Challenger Space Center.

ThorntonOL

I'm going to wait till I get one at the Wing Conference to read it, gives me something to read during breaks.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Stonewall

I've got a collection of ARCs, some I personally handed to congressmen.  I feel like they took a dive in quality in the mid to late 90s as the failed to show very little of our relationship with the Air Force (read: military).  They seemed to focus on external AE and rarely showing cadets in uniforms.  In short, I think there were about 6 or 7 years where the ARC made us look more like an after school science activity than an Air Force Auxiliary with 3 equal programs.

Today, as I look at the 2008 ARC, I am pleased to see an equal focus of all three missions with lots of pictures of members in uniform and performing "missions for America".

I'd also like to say that one of my former cadets is pictured as well as a good friend from DCWG.  Ha!  I know famous people.

EXCELLENT JOB NHQ PA!!!  Or whomever is responsible.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Is the photo on the front cover doctored? 

D2SK

Quote from: RiverAux on March 10, 2009, 10:08:27 PM

I don't see the relevance of that question, would you care to enlighten me?
Lighten up, Francis.

RiverAux

1.  Its a thread about the annual report.
2.  Its a question about the annual report.
Therefore its relevant. 

Eclipse

Yeah, quite obviously, too.  No way two GA aircraft are going to get that close to the capital (one had to take the pic), and the MAJCOM is shopped into the door as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on March 10, 2009, 10:36:20 PM

Yeah, quite obviously, too.  No way two GA aircraft are going to get that close to the capital (one had to take the pic), and the MAJCOM is shopped into the door as well.
This is becoming a recurring theme with National and it's become a serious concern of mine.  Why do they feel the need to doctor all these photos?  It's embarassing, brings no value, and is somewhat dishonest.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

D2SK

I question the wisdom in picking apart our ARC on a public website.
Lighten up, Francis.

Always Ready

^Why? We question everything else regarding CAP and discuss it on this site. Why limit that by not talking about the Annual Report to Congress?

The National PA Team did an outstanding job on this!

SarDragon

Not to mention that the base pic is at least a year olde. There is no longer parking on the east side. That's the area above the visitors center, and has large skylights in it now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

It's only a question of getting a special clearance. I'm sure that they got a mission number to do that and ran it through the Air Force and FAA controllers.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

davidsinn

Quote from: Cecil DP on March 11, 2009, 12:33:26 AM

It's only a question of getting a special clearance. I'm sure that they got a mission number to do that and ran it through the Air Force and FAA controllers.

No, that's a shop job and not even a good one at that. My wife is a professional graphic artist and went off for a good five minutes about it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DG

There is NO WAY you could get clearance to do that.

I have a tough enough time just getting cleared each time to fly into Andrews.

Chappie

Quote from: davidsinn on March 11, 2009, 01:01:34 AM

No, that's a shop job and not even a good one at that. My wife is a professional graphic artist and went off for a good five minutes about it.

Now that answered my question.  When I was looking very closely at the picture with a high definition magnifying glass I thought I saw Snoopy at the controls of the plane. ;D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

RiverAux

Not entirely sure I like how they reported on Wing membership on pages 38-39.  "Adult volunteers" and "youth". 

jimmydeanno

I think it is a perfect way to describe our membership so anyone can understand.  It's how I describe myself when I'm talking to people who don't know about CAP.  It helps them relate better.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAPSGT

Same here.  Using laymans terms eliminates confusion and allows a broad understanding for those not yet familiar with CAP.

One thing I found sad about the membership part is that my squadron has more cadets than one wing has in the entire wing.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron