2007 National Conference in Atlanta

Started by flyguy06, January 17, 2007, 04:48:53 PM

flyguy06

Who's going to the 2007 National conference meeting in Atlanta? I have enjoyed reading and posting on this board for over a year now. You guys really helped me while I was deployed to Iraq last year. You guys are like my virtual squadron.

Since I live in Atlanta, I am going to ry my best to be there. I wouldlove to meet all of you guys there. Maybe we can have a CAPTalk.com get together of something.

ColonelJack

I live about 70 miles southwest of Atlanta and, if I've rejoined by then (and gotten through Level 1 again and regained my rank) I'll be there.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major_Chuck

I should go to one at some point.  We'll see though.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Ladyhawk

Like many members of GAWG and SER, I'm planning to be there to watch the show!  I attended the National Conference which was held in Tampa several years ago.  It's great entertainment for anyone who enjoys watching political wrangling close up.

To be fair in representing this conference, there's more than the politics.  There are lots of vendors, Vanguard will have a mini-store and there are lots of seminars.  I felt it was worth the effort to attend.

I would give a word of warning as to cost.  This is a more expensive conference that the Wing and Region conferences that many of us have attended.  At Tampa, I went a couple of days early so that I could take the Senior level I.G. course and I stayed in the conference hotel.  I had no travel costs as I flew to Tampa with a friend in a private plane.  The price tag for the week for me was about $1,000. 

Start saving your nickels!  This could be a very interesting conference!

MajorSER

I strongly agree with LadyHawk. It is highly educational for what you get upfront and what you see happening in the background. We are from SouthWest Florida and it only takes us 9 hours to drive there.
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Я был там как солдатом

arajca

If you plan go, shop around NOW. I went to the NB in Reno last August. Got a package deal on one of the online travel sites. Airfare, hotel, rental car for ~$800. Granted, I didn't stay at the conference hotel, but that would have added another ~$150 for the four days.

Having been ot one, I'll probably wait until one is a little closer to home, like Denver, CO.

Smokey

Anyone know what hotel they are using for the confrence????
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

ncc1912

//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

Pylon

I'll probably wait until the conference rotates into the NER area.  In the meantime, I'm content with Wing and Region Conferences.   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

floridacyclist

Atlanta has great public transportation that even outsiders can figure out. If you were serious about saving bucks, it would be very easy to stay South of town (I think Days Inn is like $60/night), take the free shuttle to the airport (most motels have them), and take the Subway in from the airport.

I missed the Tampa conference as did many people from the area...we were too busy picking up after hurricanes.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Chappie

Plan to avoid Atlanta in August...besides the CAWG Cadet Encampment begins the week of 8/11 and concludes 8/18.   If they stream the meetings on the net, I may watch...but having been to two conferences, I've "been there, done that."  The only thing that I will miss is the networking with several friends that I have made in the other regions.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Pylon

One of these conferneces, we should purchase a CAPTalk booth with display, promotional cards with the URL, and whatnot.   >:D

Oh wait, that stuff costs money.  Never mind.   :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Lancer

Quote from: Pylon on January 22, 2007, 08:37:01 PM
One of these conferneces, we should purchase a CAPTalk booth with display, promotional cards with the URL, and whatnot.   >:D

Oh wait, that stuff costs money.  Never mind.   :D

Well...you could and should tap into some fundraising. Do like Tedda did with the Cafepress T-Shirts/Coffee mugs and whatnot... I'd buy a shirt.

You should definitely do some Google AdSense and sell some banner space to the some of the folks that advertise in the Volunteer. Another forum I'm on has a yearly raffle and gets schwag (related gear) donated to raffle off.

Food for thought...that's all.  ;D

Smokey

Looks like the host hotel is sold out.......plus it gives new meaning to Come And Pay.....$ 179 a night .....wow.

But maybe that includes breakfast in bed served by TP and a special CAP /hotel bathrobe  ;D
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Chappie

Quote from: Smokey on January 22, 2007, 10:13:45 PM
plus it gives new meaning to Come And P

I heard it also stood for Cash And Plastic
;D

capchiro

I propose that only field grade officers be allowed to go to the conference.  Oh, I also propose that attendence at the conferecne be a requirement to be a field grade officer.  Further, anyone attending should be fully ES qualified with a 24 or 72 hour pack in case there is a mission during the conference.  By the way, I propose at least 12 more uniform changes between now and then so everyone will be in something new and original and incomplete due to Vanguard not having the latest requirement.  Have I forgotten something?  Other than that, I will plan on attending and since I do live on the outskirts of Atlanta, I will be glad to provide information on motels, etc., if need be.       
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Chappie

Quote from: capchiro on January 23, 2007, 02:37:30 AM
I propose that only field grade officers be allowed to go to the conference.  Oh, I also propose that attendence at the conferecne be a requirement to be a field grade officer.  Further, anyone attending should be fully ES qualified with a 24 or 72 hour pack in case there is a mission during the conference.  By the way, I propose at least 12 more uniform changes between now and then so everyone will be in something new and original and incomplete due to Vanguard not having the latest requirement.  Have I forgotten something?  Other than that, I will plan on attending and since I do live on the outskirts of Atlanta, I will be glad to provide information on motels, etc., if need be.       

Ewwww...that is tough.  Why punish the field officers????  Make it a rite of passage for the newbies.  If they can handle a National Conference, they can handle anything  ;D

I think you are being overly conservative with at least 12 more uniform changes....make it an even 20 and I will support it. 

As for the ES qualification, which patch would be required?  The Pluto or the Plane?

SAR-EMT1

This may actually be a silly question but As I live out of state Ill ask it anyway...   I have family in Buford. - suburb- Would it be possible / practical to stay with them and drive in to the event each day or take the subway? And question two: what is the cost of the conference itself? -sans hotel fees-
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

I don't see why not, you wouldn't be much different from hundreds of other commuters as they do basically the same thing. Check out http://www.itsmarta.com/ or call them at (404) 848-5000 to find out how to work it; it's pretty simple. I've only actually been to ATL once in my life (not counting driving through at 95MPH on I-75 with my eyes tightly closed) and I had no trouble getting around on it. They have free parking with a list of parking options at http://www.itsmarta.com/howto/parking.htm

Be sure to check out their passes and programs as they have a visitor's pass that sounds pretty decent for non-residents.

Beats having to drive into that downtown mess THEN find a place to park.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Hartley

Hi Y'all,

I wouldn't be too sure that the rooms are sold out - in general, CAP reserves a block of rooms, and they haven't released those yet.  Sometimes CAP also gets a somewhat better-than-normal rate, but I wouldn't plan on that.  I'm not sure I think much of $12.95/day internet in the rooms, either..

73 DE Hartley

p.s. Yes, I'll be there - look for the large economy size dude in the aviator shirt combo with a radio on his hip..  :)

flyguy06

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 29, 2007, 10:18:03 AM
This may actually be a silly question but As I live out of state Ill ask it anyway...   I have family in Buford. - suburb- Would it be possible / practical to stay with them and drive in to the event each day or take the subway? And question two: what is the cost of the conference itself? -sans hotel fees-

Yes, Buford is about 30 mins from downtown. You could do it but you better get an early start because traffic inthe mornings is crazy.

JohnKachenmeister

Is Fort MacPherson still open?  And if so, do they have a BOQ that the retired and not-so-retired military guys could check into?

Not that I like Atlanta very much.  I hate Atlanta so much that I rent "Gone With The Wind" and fast forward to the part where they burn Atlanta down.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 30, 2007, 05:45:12 AM
Is Fort McPherson still open?  And if so, do they have a BOQ that the retired and not-so-retired military guys could check into?

Not that I like Atlanta very much.  I hate Atlanta so much that I rent "Gone With The Wind" and fast forward to the part where they burn Atlanta down.

FORT Mcpherson
http://www.mcpherson.army.mil/Housing/Lodging.htm

I never really like Atlanta that much either!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Things I hate about Atlanta:

1.  The airport.

2.  The traffic.

3.  Jane Fonda lives there.

4.  Ted Turner lives there.

5.  The football team.

6.  The baseball team.

7.  MARTA  (Moving A--holes Rapidly Through Atlanta)

8.  The freeway system.  (Designed by idiots, and built by their relatives.)

flyguy06

Well, I love Atlanta. I am an original Atlantan from the inner city that is and if you dont like it then dont come. I was actually born at Ft McPherson due to my dad being inthe service back then. Yes Fort Mac is still open and no they dont have a BOQ. Dobbins Air Reserve Base has BOQ's though

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 30, 2007, 05:21:13 PM
Things I hate about Atlanta:

1.  The airport.

2.  The traffic.

3.  Jane Fonda lives there.

4.  Ted Turner lives there.

5.  The football team.

6.  The baseball team.

7.  MARTA  (Moving A--holes Rapidly Through Atlanta)

8.  The freeway system.  (Designed by idiots, and built by their relatives.)

Now come on, you know what people realky say MARTA stands for. go ahead and say it

JohnKachenmeister