Getting Fit on the Gray Side

Started by BrandonKea, May 21, 2009, 12:49:06 AM

BrandonKea

As I sit here on my butt at my job (where I sit for 12 hours, doing next to nothing) while drinking my high-in-sugar energy drink, I've decided it's finally (no, seriously) time to get in shape. Since my steady decline of fitness from my peak in April, 2004, I've been getting less and less in shape and more and more into A shape.

I hate being out of shape and at the same time I'm told I need to be a role model to Cadets. And actually, I wish NHQ would do a little more the help Senior stay in shape (maybe work on a corporate rate for Weight Watchers or something). As I said, I'd like to be a better role model for Cadets, and at the same time, not be a total useless blob. Thoughts?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

IceNine

I'd participate if NHQ worked out a rate with the Y or Golds or something.

I can't run (hip trouble) but some laps in a pool I wouldn't mind.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BrandonKea

Quote from: IceNine on May 21, 2009, 01:35:32 AM
I'd participate if NHQ worked out a rate with the Y or Golds or something.

I can't run (hip trouble) but some laps in a pool I wouldn't mind.

I was lucky to get into 24 Hour Fitness under my previous employer's rate. Still outrageously high.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 12:49:06 AMAs I said, I'd like to be a better role model for Cadets, and at the same time, not be a total useless blob. Thoughts?

Eat less calories than you burn each day.

Eliminate the energy drink from your diet.

Stop playing video games.

Go outside.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

One thing that helps me is that I am required to maintain a certain level of fitness and weight.  Being in the Air National Guard, I have to take annual PT tests, weigh-ins and physical screenings.  For me to be promoted, allowed to reenlist, or go to schools, I have to be within the regs.  Some are naturally thin and can eat what they want with little to no exercise; I am not one of those people.

But it really is quite simple and you only have to do 2 things:

1.  Watch what and how much you eat.

2.  Be physically active.

Nutrition is critical.  You won't lose weight eating fast food, fried foods, or foods that are high in sugar.  This is the toughest part for me as I love to eat.  Not always because I'm hungry, but because enjoy food.  So it takes a major effort to not finish my plate or to fight the urge to eat crap.  You can cut a good amount of weight just by cutting out sodas (all sodas, even diet).

Exercise doesn't mean lifting weights.  It means cardio.  It means moving your entire body for at least 30 to 45 minutes, maybe more.  If you can't run, walk.  If you can, throw yourself on an eliptical machine. 

Once in my life, 1998 to be exact, I went through a year of depression after a deployment and break up from a fiance.  I gained almost 40 lbs in a year.  When I began the reversal of this phase, I had to start by simply walking because I couldn't run.  Inside a month I was slogging (slow jog), then jogging, then running up to 5 miles a day.  The other major factor was my diet.  I ate Healthy Choice meals, Lean Cuisine, Stouffers, etc.  Did you know you can eat 4 Healthy Choice meals and still be better off than a #1 meal from McDonalds?

The fact is, it really isn't hard.  It's just hard to get started and even harder to maintain.  Don't think I'm some running mad man.  I ran 3 miles Sunday, Monday and today (Wednesday).  I sometimes struggle, but after the fact, I'm happy scrappy that I endured the frustration, discomfort, sweat, heat and boredom.  But I burned approximately 500 calories.  That's still not a #1 meal from McDonalds.  See how hard it is?  I would have to run 5 miles to burn off a #1 meal.  So instead of running it off, I just refrain from eating it.

Don't get me wrong, I eat crap on occasion.  I'm not eating fruit and yogurt for lunch and grilled chicken and carrots for dinner.  I still eat more than I should, but at least I'm running some of it off.  I'd drop 15 more pounds if I ate better, but like I said, I enjoy eating too much.  So in essance, I run so I can eat.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2009, 01:37:41 AM

Go outside.

Seriously, lay off the internet, TV and video games and you'll probably drop 10 lbs.  Lay off the energy drinks and you'll lose another 10 lbs.

Serving since 1987.

Spike

Soda, (unless diet....and then only in moderation) sweetened fruit juices.  Star away from "fatty kakes"  (all those prepackaged slimy delicious treats) as well!

My advice.....and the best advice from a person formerly from retail......only buy things that are on the inside walls of a grocery store/ supermarket.  Everything bad for a person to eat is in the middle isles of all stores.  Check it out the next time you go shopping!

BrandonKea

I've been tempted a few times to just bring my CamelBak to work and sip off that all day. I can usually drink 3L of water from a CamelBak in like 2 hours and not even realize it if I've just got it right there and I'm always sipping on it.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

NEBoom

A while back a number of us on here were on Tranieo (http://www.traineo.com/).  Tedda set up a group ("Donut eating S'Members" or something like that).  It was fun while it lasted and I found it helpful to know some CAP friends were watching.  Kept me motivated and honest with myself.  Sort pf a positive Peer Pressure kind of deal.

I set the goal of getting legal to wear the AF style uniforms again.  Made it, bought the uni's, then promptly gained back about 10 lbs.  So now the uni's hang in the closet gathering dust...  :(

Haven't checked in there in a while so I'm not sure if the group still exists.  I would be interested in jumping in again if others will be there.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

BrandonKea

That's one of my end goals. The Blueberry Uniform doesn't do much for me, and I miss my BDU's.

I'd be interested in that too, anyone know anymore details on that?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Stonewall

In the last 45 minutes you could have gone on a walk and burned several hundred calories.
Serving since 1987.

BrandonKea

Quote from: Stonewall on May 21, 2009, 03:05:59 AM
In the last 45 minutes you could have gone on a walk and burned several hundred calories.

Sadly, I'm stuck at my desk for the next 8 hours...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Stonewall

Well then when you get off in 8 hours don't stop by anywhere and get a big breakfast.  Instead, go home and walk for 45 minutes and drink a bottle of water. 
Serving since 1987.

majdomke

In the last year I have lost 70lbs in an effort to get back into blues... here's how I succeeded:

No more sugar - switched to Splenda... it took time to get used to the taste so I gradually substituted it until I no longer needed sugar.
No caffeine - switch to decaf... again I had to slowly do this one because the headaches were fierce. Plus, caffeine dehydrates you.
Basically for liquids I do a decaf coffee in the morning with splenda added. Then either water or crystal light the rest of the day. 64 ozs minimum and watch out for some of the crystal lights that contain caffeine. 97-99% caffeine free is ok, but some of them are loaded because they are intended for energy.
Second, cut back on portion sizes... eat the proteins first, then vegs and fruits. Wait as long as possible, one hour min, before drinking anything. That protein in your gut will send the signal to your brain that your full. Drink too soon afterwards or during and you are just flushing it down and making room for more. Salads are best after the meal and not before because they help clean you out.
Finally, do some type of exercise every day such as walking. Walk, run, jog, bike... something to get your body moving and burning calories...
And... use "NO" all the time when your brain is begging you for the junk... I say this to myself all the time when I see something I'd like to eat, like the chocolate filled croissants they proudly display at the coffee stand. Mental will power is the key to it all... if you can't keep yourself focused and purpose driven, you are only driven to fail in the end. As a last resort, consider weight loss surgery.

Hope this helps...

NEBoom

Quote from: Stonewall on May 21, 2009, 03:05:59 AM

I was surprised how well walking works for me.  I happen to hate running, but I can walk a much improved distance these days and I enjoy it.  The only down side is to get the distance you need takes longer (obviously since you're walking instead of running) so you have to budget your time.

Also be sure to walk at a brisk pace (the quickest pace you can maintain) and try to keep the same pace through the whole walk.  Silly as it sounds I sometimes sing/recite old Jodies I learned back in the service and WIWAC to myself.  Keeps me from slowing down.  Remembering the drum cadence from my Drum and Bugle corps/Marching Band days is good too, but that's stretching the memory cells quite a bit.  Anyway, the point is to get some rhythm going in your head so you keep the pace, and give yourself something to think about.

Also work at increasing your distance.  At first you'll be slow and not be able to go far, but in a month or so you can start "pushing the envelope" by increasing both your pace and distance.

This is a great time of the year to get started, we'll have temperate weather around these parts for the next several months.  Winter brings its own challenges, but that's another subject!  :)

(Brandon, PM sent...)
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

BrandonKea

Quote from: Stonewall on May 21, 2009, 03:11:23 AM
Well then when you get off in 8 hours don't stop by anywhere and get a big breakfast.  Instead, go home and walk for 45 minutes and drink a bottle of water.

[darn] UK, how do you know about my secret love affair with the McDonald's Breakfast Burrito!!

Actually, I would very much enjoy walking at 0600, it's much nicer out, and I imagine the hobo population near my apartment will be less likely to shank me that early :-)
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 03:21:39 AM
[darn] UK, how do you know about my secret love affair with the McDonald's Breakfast Burrito!!

I worked midnights (2100 - 0700) as a cop for 2 years.  I was one of the few people that went straight home and slept.  Everyone else seemed to go eat a big breakfast, stay up for a few hours, then go to sleep.  I was unconscious and dreaming by 0730 as I lived only 5 minutes from work.  I'd wake up at 1430, eat a healthy type energy/granola bar with a small glass of 1% milk, then spend an hour in the gym.

You are killing yourself with that morning stop at McDonalds.

Watch this movie: http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me

One part that stuck with me is when they compared smoking and obesity, and how it has become socially acceptable to heckle smokers. They asked when would it become socially acceptable to heckle fat people eating at McDonald's etc.

I just checked the McDonald's Nutrition guide.  I don't know which breakfast burrito you get, but you're looking at approximately 600 calories and 30+ grams of fat just for the burrito.  Do you eat more than one?  What about hashbrowns?  Add another 150 calories and 14 grams of fat.  Do you drink a coke?  Coffee?

With the fact that you spend 12 hours a day sitting your butt and not doing any sort of continuous exercise (walking to the fridge doesn't cut it), you are KILLING YOURSELF.  You have the potential to make healthcare costs rise due to your lifestyle.

Your breakfast alone accounts for at least 1/2 of the calories you should be consuming in a day.  My guess is you consume at least 3000 calories a day.  My uneducated guess is that you need to cut 1000 calories from your diet and add 45 minutes of exercise, if not 60.  And like I said in my first post, this doesn't mean going to a gym and staring at weights.  Your ass needs to be on a cardio machine.  If nothing else, walk!!!!  WALK!!!

Audio books are great to walk to.  You can get lost in them and suddenly you've walked 2 hours.  And like NEBoom said, walk briskly; at a quicker than normal pace.
Serving since 1987.

BrandonKea

I've been cutting the fast food out, but I suppose the best way to do that is to just cut it out completely.

I'll admit I've fallen victim to a lazy lifestyle. The reason I'm turning it around; I can feel it killing me. I never used to get out of breath walking up a set of stairs; now, it winds me to even think about it.

I saw Super Size Me when it came out, obviously I need to re-watch it.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat, but obviously, it's not a boat I want to be on anymore. This is something I've struggled with since I was about 12, and I think 10 years of being fat is too long.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 03:41:51 AM
And I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat...

No, you're not.  And don't think I'm the authority or that I'm some PT stud with a 32" waist.  Like I said, I have my own battles with weight, but I try very hard to win the battle, mostly through exercise.

I have no choice but to meet AF weight standards as I am in the Guard.  I love the motivation to keep it up because if I didn't, I'd be out of the military.  I am in San Antonio, TX right now and learned that it's the 10th most overweight city in America and it shows.  Me and some AF buddies went to a Chinese buffet the other day (yeah, really helps with weight loss) and I was almost disgusted by the number of obese people stuffing their fat faces.  Worse, I witnessed obese parents contributing to the obesity of their children, who they are supposed to love, protect and instill a healthy lifestyle.  Instead, this chubby 10 year old was inhaling fried crap, icecream, donuts, pizza and everything else he could shove in his pie hole.  Naturally, of course, mom and dad were doing the same thing.

Even at a Chinese buffet I did my best to eat somewhat decent.  I had sushi, grilled chicken, lots of veggies and some peel & eat shrimp.  Lots of it still cooked in butter and I'm sure I consumed as many as 1000 calories, but I had about 200 calories for breakfast, 600 for lunch (total, drink included) and then the buffet for dinner.  Oh yeah, I burned in excess of 500 calories during my 3 mile run that day.  Some days I let myself indulge in things like a Chinese buffet.  You can do that on occasion when 90% of the time you're doing the right thing.
Serving since 1987.

BrandonKea

I guess my problem is maintaining motivation. I just need to stay on myself about that.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

SarDragon

Get yourself a Bubba Cup. Keep it topped off with (ice) water, and when you feel "hungry", take a drink. I used to go through 4 or 5 a day when I was working, and it really helped me resist the urge to snack.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

I don't know what you have for health insurance, but, many plans have coverage for gym memberships.  Either way remember that your ultimate
Goal should be for your overall health, not just weight loss.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 03:59:55 AM
I guess my problem is maintaining motivation. I just need to stay on myself about that.

Don't stay on yourself about it.  Find a buddy in the same situation and stay on EACH OTHER about it.  The easiest thing in the world is to forgive yourself for messing up, its only your own eyes that judge.  When you break a deal with a friend to stay healthy, that's the kick in the nads.

davedove

I watched one TV show about healthy eating.  The speaker made the point that you could eat anything you wanted, as long as you prepared it yourself.  That would tend to keep you away from a lot of the high calorie dishes and snacks, because they're a lot of trouble to make.

Now, preparing it yourself doesn't mean opening the bag of chips.  It means peeling and slicing the potatoes and frying them yourselves.  How many of us would eat a bunch of chips if we had to do that every time.

Think of lasagna.  It was originally special occasion food because it takes some time and effort to prepare.  now all we have to do is run down to the Italian restaurant or the frozen food section of the store to have some.

Packaging and convenience have ruined our diet.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RiverAux

QuoteThey asked when would it become socially acceptable to heckle fat people eating at McDonald's etc.
You've got to be careful about that .... you can probably outrun them, but if you trip and fall they'll sit on you and that will be the end of it...  >:D

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Flying Pig

Your motivation will come with results.  Its motivation that is earned.  One day youll look in the mirror getting ready to shave (your a guy right?) and suddenly notice you have a jaw line slowly coming back.

RiverAux

It is nice to see that jaw again.  Made a lot of progress myself over the last 8 months and am now well under the CAP requirements and am edging towards the old AF standards on the CAP chart.  Not sure I'm going to get that 34 inch waist anytime soon though. 

EMT-83

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 21, 2009, 01:40:09 PM
Your motivation will come with results.  Its motivation that is earned.

When I decided to get serious and lose some weight, it was surprising just how much it meant to drop a couple of pounds. I'd look forward to jumping on the scale every week, and get pretty excited about 2 or 3 pounds being gone. It also felt good when my friends started noticing.

It's not magic - just eat right and do some exercise; stuff we already know. I dropped 40 pounds, but it didn't happen until I made up my mind that I was tired of being heavy. The first step is always the hardest.

IceNine

This may sound a little less than manly but,

My Girlfriend has started watching this new cooking show that I'm finding myself intrigued with. 

"Cook yourself thin" is a show about eating the same foods you already eat, prepared differently and with some interesting ingredients.  They compare the calories between the old and the new and usually its less than half or even less than than.

She bough the cookbook and without telling me (because my conscience hates healthy food) has been preparing these meals and so far so go.  I've lost 5 pounds in less than 2 weeks and I have literally done nothing else different with my life.

It's aimed towards women but the concept still rings true.  They say you should be consuming 10 times your ideal weight in calories a day.  It's slightly more for men but you get the idea.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Spike

Here it is simple and easy! 

Americans (and most of Western Culture) eat their biggest meal at night.  If you would eat your biggest meal in the morning (and I mean switching dinner portions for breakfast portions and calories, you would burn what you eat during the day.  Eat a small dinner (and I mean small) that way you go to bed and burn the little meal during sleep.  The dinner then does not turn into fat. 

Try this and you will be surprised!

Also stay away from soda, and any type of sugar.  Sugar (even fruit sugars) are bad for you!

Coffee and tea has been shown to burn calories if you drink them plain.  If you must sweeten them, use a plant sweetener like stevia.  Limit caffeine altogether though, since it is a diuretic it will dehydrate you, and you will search for sweet foods (subconsciously) to get a quick "sugar high" to eliminate the feeling of dehydration.

Best options.....get a sugar free gum, to chew between meals.  If you must eat out get foliage, and a small starch.  Mixing starches and leafy plants cause the two items to expand in your stomach taking away the hunger feeling faster.

Finally......it is hard to start a diet!  However those hunger pains will go away after three (3) days!!!!   Our bodies are designed to adapt to "starvation".  Our stomachs shrink in less than 48 hours on a reduced calorie diet.  Our small and large intestines constrict to hold the food we do eat longer and take more nutrients out of the food.

Starvation and starving/ fasting have gotten a bad rap in the past 40 years.  There is nothing wrong with drastically cutting calorie consumption.  Our ancestors did it, and we are here today!  Just because we have access to food does not mean we have to consume it all the time.

NOTE:  Scientist are discovering that being fat is a true disease.  It is genetically passed on to children by the mother.  One research group has found that it may actually be a virus that you can contract from fat people.

dwb

Can you ride a bike to work?  You may only be able to do it during the summer, but it'd help a lot.

If you can't bike to work, and you sit at a desk all day, then the best way to lose weight is to eat about 1/2 - 2/3 of what you're eating now.  Basically, starving yourself in a controlled fashion.

If you're not going to exercise, then eating less is the only option.  Oh, and ditch the energy drinks.

EMT-83

Quote from: Spike on May 21, 2009, 03:19:49 PM

Americans (and most of Western Culture) eat their biggest meal at night.  If you would eat your biggest meal in the morning (and I mean switching dinner portions for breakfast portions and calories, you would burn what you eat during the day.  Eat a small dinner (and I mean small) that way you go to bed and burn the little meal during sleep.  The dinner then does not turn into fat.

The information I received from my physician indicates that the timing of meals has no effect on how your body processes the food. It's the quality and quantity that's important.

Spike

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 21, 2009, 05:05:07 PM
Quote from: Spike on May 21, 2009, 03:19:49 PM

The information I received from my physician indicates that the timing of meals has no effect on how your body processes the food. It's the quality and quantity that's important.

Your doctor is almost correct!  Quantity is a big factor in weight gain.  Like I said, eat your biggest meal in the morning, and you will burn it off throughout the day!

BrandonKea

Quote from: dwb on May 21, 2009, 04:03:19 PM
Can you ride a bike to work?  You may only be able to do it during the summer, but it'd help a lot.

If you can't bike to work, and you sit at a desk all day, then the best way to lose weight is to eat about 1/2 - 2/3 of what you're eating now.  Basically, starving yourself in a controlled fashion.

If you're not going to exercise, then eating less is the only option.  Oh, and ditch the energy drinks.

Can't bike, sadly. It's quite a distance to my work.

One thing I had always heard was not to starve yourself, but to eat smaller, more healthy "meals" throughout the day. Not like a full out meal, but basically a healthy snack like grapes, an apple, granola, peanuts, etc etc. Any truth to that?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

davedove

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 07:17:01 PM
Quote from: dwb on May 21, 2009, 04:03:19 PM

Can't bike, sadly. It's quite a distance to my work.

One thing I had always heard was not to starve yourself, but to eat smaller, more healthy "meals" throughout the day. Not like a full out meal, but basically a healthy snack like grapes, an apple, granola, peanuts, etc etc. Any truth to that?

The more you spread your meals out the better.  It helps to maintain a level blood sugar level, controlling the highs and lows.  I've often seen that one should eat five smaller meals spaced out through the day.  Remember that's five smaller meals; you still have to watch the total daily calorie intake.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Flying Pig

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 21, 2009, 04:09:01 AM
I don't know what you have for health insurance, but, many plans have coverage for gym memberships.  Either way remember that your ultimate
Reallly?  It pays for the memberships?  Holy Cow.  I mean....Holy Tofu

BrandonKea

Anybody ever know of anyone using Nutrisystem? I'm curious if that works as well as Larry the Cable Guy says...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 22, 2009, 04:56:37 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 21, 2009, 04:09:01 AM
Reallly?  It pays for the memberships?  Holy Cow.  I mean....Holy Tofu

My health insurance plan has a reimbursement for gym membership under the "preventative coverage."  I'm allowed to spend up to $150.00/year of their money, the rest is on me.

However, most of the gyms around here have annual fees of around $100.00. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

Just found this article published over the AP:

Why Are We Fatter? We Eat More

Study Finds Food Intake Up Since 1970s

New research says that the cause of rising obesity rates in the U.S. is simple: People eat more food.

The research presented at the 2009 European Congress on Obesity by Dr. Boyd Swinburn of Deakin University in Australia said that a lack of physical activity doesn't play a role in the trend.

Swinburn said it's not easy for people to cut down because the food industry does a good job of making tasty, reasonably priced food that is always available.
His conclusions about food being the culprit instead of changes in exercise were based on studying energy intake and overall food supply.

"We still need to continue to promote increases in physical activity, because exercise has a lot of positive physiologic benefits, but our level of expectation about the impact of physical activity on weight gain has to be a bit more tempered," he said...

...Dr. Matthew Sorrentino, who represents the ACC, also agreed. "The main cause of the obesity epidemic in this country is the wide availability of high-caloric foods and the fact that we are eating way too many calories in the course of a day. Exercise has much less impact," he said.

ColonelJack

I used to think it was incredibly difficult to lose weight.  Then I saw this year's fall pictures at school, which showed me with more chins than a Chinese phone book.  Something clicked -- either my 50th birthday, or realizing that people watching my evening newscast see a blimp reading the news, or whatever -- and I decided then and there to make the evil weight go away.

It's a process ... I am under a doctor's supervision, and with his help have lost 104 pounds since the end of September.  I've done it on a 1000 calorie a day diet, with prescription phentermine (Adipex) to control my appetite.  I now qualify to wear AF blues -- and since rejoining CAP, I do.  (Pictures posted in the "Show Yourself" thread.)

If I can do it anyone can do it.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Flying Pig

Wow..  You dont even look like the same person. Loosing that much weight, do you actually feel lighter?  Or is the change slow enough that you dont notice?  I try to equate it to walking around with a 100lb weight and then dropping it. Probably not the same.

Thats great.

Bobble

I am pretty much in the same circumstances, being very, very close to the mid-century mark (50 yrs old), having a somewhat sedentary job (desk jockey 90% of the time), and still wanting to wear the AF-style uniform as the commander of a cadet squadron.

I would not be so quick to eliminate bicycling, either to work or for recreational exercise.  For myself, it works much better since there is a lot less stress on my joints than jogging/running.  I bike a bit over 20 miles round-trip (to work and back), and try to do it 2 or 3 times per week, weather and kid's school schedules permitting.  My previous job was about 26 miles from home, so I would drive part-way (how far depended on my motiviation at the time), park the car in a shopping center parking lot, and bike the rest.  Reverse to get home.  If possible, try to join up with someone else for the ride.  It's usually safer and more fun when two or more are riding together.  You could also bring the bike with you to work on the car, and then bicycle at lunchtime.  I actually keep a beater bike at work just for lunchtime biking. And please use a helmet!  I learned the hard way, and have the scars to prove it.

As an older guy, I try not to use the same types of excercise activity two days in a row.  I alternate the days of biking with jogging/running during lunch or after work.  I don't jog/run more than 5k at a time in order to minimize the possibility of getting injured due to repetitive stress.  My muscles take a bit longer to refresh and restore than in earlier years, and a joint or muscle injury that puts you off your exercise program for more that 2 - 3 weeks can be very demoralizing.

As for diet, I can't speak too much to that, but I do follow the advice that folks gave earlier, i.e., you need to burn as many or more calories than you take in if you want to be fit.  Pretty simple, but it can be a hard battle.  The 'water bottle at work' idea is also key for me.  There is an amazing amount of non-nutritive calaries (read-sugar) in so many drinks.

I run the CPFT mile run with the cadets, and they seem to appreciate having a senior out there with them.  I may not be fast (9:40 mile in t-shirt/BDU pants/combat boots), but I'm making the effort.

bobble
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

EMT-83

^ I applaud your running with the cadets, but in combat boots? That's an injury waiting to happen.

Flying Pig

Dude.....the Marines dont even run in Combat Boots anymore.  Your going to hurt yourself.  Dont ruin a good thing!

ColonelJack

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 22, 2009, 06:36:48 PM
Wow..  You dont even look like the same person. Loosing that much weight, do you actually feel lighter?  Or is the change slow enough that you dont notice?  I try to equate it to walking around with a 100lb weight and then dropping it. Probably not the same.

Thats great.

Thank you for your very kind words!  I do actually feel lighter.  Since it went so fast (it was not a slow process at all -- 104 pounds in eight months!) I have had two difficulties:  one, it seems that my center of gravity is offset, and until it resets (or I learn how to reset it) I find myself stooping a bit, or leaning to one side or the other, when I walk.  As soon as I become aware of it, I correct it, and make myself walk upright.  With time, it'll get better.

The other difficulty?  Every two weeks or so, I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe!!  (Not that that is a bad thing, of course ... Goodwill stocks a lot of neat clothes for little money!) 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Flying Pig

When I was in the Infantry, after long road marches with a pack we would take breaks and drop our packs.  For the first few seconds, you would loose your balance because you were all screwed up from carrying so much weight.  Same concept I guess.

So you did it all through diet, exercise and some medication?  No surgeries?

ColonelJack

Actually, I did it through diet and some medication.  The exercise is little more than walking my dog about a mile every evening.

It can be done!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

FlyingTerp

I'm down about 90 lbs over the past 1.5 years.  The tippingpoint for me was when I started to develop severe back pain that made it difficult to walk.  Because of the physical issues I started losing weight without exercise.  I made a few (somewhat) simple changes.

• eliminate refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup
  • replace simple starches with complex -  replace white rice with brown rice, pasta with real whole wheat pasta, white potatoes with sweet potatoes, etc
Once I dropped 30+ lbs and the pain lessened, I was able to integrate an exercise program.  Nothing extreme, just basic cardio and weight training.  No way I'll ever go back to being heavy.  I feel great.

Being able to wear the Air Force style uniform did motivate me.  Its more than just being able to wear it, but wearing it properly and looking like I belong in it.

NEBoom

Quote from: FlyingTerp on May 24, 2009, 01:38:43 PM
<snip>
Its more than just being able to wear it, but wearing it properly and looking like I belong in it.

Big +1 from me.  It's just something with me, I won't wear the AF style uniforms unless I'm legal.  Don't know what it is, guess I spent too many years in that uniform, and I just don't want to do anything to bring discredit on it.

So until I cut the weight, Corporates are my uniform.  That's just how it is.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Spike

^ I am fit but because of my height I fall short of meeting weight requirements. So I sadly can not wear AF style, even though if I were in the AF, I could wear an AF uniform and be "fit to fight".

That's fine with me.  I hate that I can't wear the AF style, so I wear whatever corporate uniform makes me stand out from the group as much as possible. 

I do refuse to wear blue bdu's.  That is a pet peeve of mine.  If I was allowed to fight in BDU's for the past 10 years (and then ACU's) but can't wear them to a CAP meeting, I will not wear the "corporate alternative".  That is disrespectful in my mind.   

BrandonKea

I'm enjoying my "Bubba Mug" of H20 here at my desk. The hardest part about this now is the ridiculous caffeine withdrawl headaches... Bring on the Aleve!
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 26, 2009, 01:59:52 AM
I'm enjoying my "Bubba Mug" of H20 here at my desk. The hardest part about this now is the ridiculous caffeine withdrawl headaches... Bring on the Aleve!

There are some options to the caffeine issues.

Start mixing caff with decaf.  I hear people at Starbucks do it all the time.  I hear people asking for half sweet with half unsweet tea and half diet/regular cola.

Just an option.  I know it sucks, but if it helps, it helps.
Serving since 1987.

BrandonKea

Quote from: Stonewall on May 26, 2009, 02:21:28 AM
Quote from: BrandonKea on May 26, 2009, 01:59:52 AM

There are some options to the caffeine issues.

Start mixing caff with decaf.  I hear people at Starbucks do it all the time.  I hear people asking for half sweet with half unsweet tea and half diet/regular cola.

Just an option.  I know it sucks, but if it helps, it helps.

I was only drinking Diet Coke to begin with. I've since cut it out. I know it usually takes about a week to get over the withdrawl, I'll just have to tough it out.

It sounds weird, but I'm already somewhat noticing a difference. Maybe it's all in my head...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 26, 2009, 02:24:41 AMIt sounds weird, but I'm already somewhat noticing a difference. Maybe it's all in my head...

It doesn't sound weird.  You'll lose weight and size pretty quickly and notice it.  It can be motivating to say the least.  The tough part is getting over the plateau a few weeks down the road when you go a couple weeks without losing anything.  In fact, you may gain something.  Don't let it discourage you.
Serving since 1987.

Bobble

Flying Pig and EMT-83 -

Thanks for your concern regarding appropriate footwear for running.  I would posit, though, that for someone who jogs/runs on a regular basis using running shoes, running a mile in combat boots at a relatively easy pace once a month isn't that much of a risk.  But that's just my opinion.  Of course, I'm not about to run that distance barefoot anytime soon, but I found the article (linked) interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

Hope this is not too far off topic.

bobble
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Flying Pig

As long as your wearing good boots with good support.  Most modern military boots should be OK for short distances.  But dont try it in the old time leather jump boots.  When I was in the Marines we we occassionally did moto runs, slow, but long distances in "Boots and Uts".  Guys were getting chin splints and sore ankles.  That was in teh regular jungle boots.  Not exactly great for sustained running!

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2009, 01:37:41 AM
Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 12:49:06 AMAs I said, I'd like to be a better role model for Cadets, and at the same time, not be a total useless blob. Thoughts?

Go outside.

How's that working for you and your "gigantism", Bob?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mustang

Quote from: Spike on May 24, 2009, 06:12:56 PM
I do refuse to wear blue bdu's.  That is a pet peeve of mine.  If I was allowed to fight in BDU's for the past 10 years (and then ACU's) but can't wear them to a CAP meeting, I will not wear the "corporate alternative".  That is disrespectful in my mind.   

Time to get over yourself.  The Blue BDUs are a very nice looking uniform, perfect for CAP.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

NEBoom

Quote from: NEBoom on May 21, 2009, 03:00:03 AM
A while back a number of us on here were on Tranieo (http://www.traineo.com/).  Tedda set up a group ("Donut eating S'Members" or something like that).  It was fun while it lasted and I found it helpful to know some CAP friends were watching.  Kept me motivated and honest with myself.  Sort pf a positive Peer Pressure kind of deal.

<snip>

Haven't checked in there in a while so I'm not sure if the group still exists.  I would be interested in jumping in again if others will be there.

I finally got around to checking this out.  The group does still exist, but hasn't been active in over a year.  If anyone's interested you can find it at http://www.traineo.com/groups/362.  Hopefully we'll get some activity going again over there.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing