Requesting help from those with experience

Started by Tim Medeiros, January 15, 2008, 04:01:01 PM

Tim Medeiros

I figured this would be the best place to ask for assistance and information.  I've currently applied for a transfer back to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, however I'm not 100% confident that I will be accepted back.  So, as a backup I've decided that I will try to enlist.

The information I request though is, is it odd to have a 22 year old in BMT?  What are the requirements to graduate, with that I'm looking for not only the minimum, but also whats the maximums?  I do have a friend who graduated BMT at the end of Dec, so I'm also going to be asking info from her but I don't want to distract her too much from her tech school studies (for those interested, shes doing Security Forces).  I'm also looking for information on the training and jobs of weather personnel and Security Forces (my other two interests are computers and personnel, however weather and SF are my primary interests).  I am also interested in any tips on how to get into physical shape for this as years of college has taken its toll, and preferably on a very low income budget.

I haven't been to my recruiter since high school (2004) and when I took my ASVAB for kicks back then it was relatively high (high enough for the recruiter to say I wouldn't be happy as enlisted and should go officer).  I don't plan on going to my recruiter until I get my response back from ERAU, but I would still like to know what info I should have prepared (if I recall we have at least one former/current recruiter on here).

Anyways, thank you for your input and help, it is greatly appreciated.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

NIN

A 22 year old in Basic is not odd. 

I went to Army BMT with a gent who was 37 and a Vietnam War vet. Now THAT was odd...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

It is NOT uncommon to see people in their mid-20s in BMT/Tech School, especially from the Guard/Reserves.  My wife went to BMT at 30 and Tech School at 31.  In fact, looking at the airmen in my squadron who joined in the past 2 years, only one was under 21 (20), everyone else was 22, 23, 24 and 28.

As for careers, just do your research and figure out what you truly want to do.  Security Forces is nothing like working as a computer geek, and Weather is nothing like being a load master.  You may find security work beneath you as some do.  It's not all law enforcement stuff these days, in fact, from what I hear, most of tech school is force protection type stuff.  You don't even get "EVOC" qualified so that should give you a hint.

For getting into shape, I got in some of the best shape of my life as a poor college student.  I walked, slogged (slow jog), jogged, then ran.  Took me about a month to get up to a good pace after slacking for about a year or so.  You'll need to make weight to join.  So ease up on the fast food and garbage; simply lower your food intake.  Do lots of cardio, even walking.  Then, do what you'll do on the PT test, run, push-ups and sit-ups.  If you're obese, it'll take you a L O N G time.  If you're just a few pounds over and need to re-build muscle, then you can do it in like a month or so.  No biggie.  You do not have to be a body builder to make it in BMT.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on January 15, 2008, 04:01:01 PMI do have a friend who graduated BMT at the end of Dec, so I'm also going to be asking info from her but I don't want to distract her too much from her tech school studies (for those interested, shes doing Security Forces). 

So she's in Tech School now?  If you talk to her, ask her if there's a guy there (from my unit) who is a bald, 30-something, SSgt named Pollock.  He's a civilian cop and in my ANG unit.  I need some good scoop on the guy.  He started Tech School a little before Christmas.  >:D
Serving since 1987.

Tim Medeiros

Sure is, she also found out what she needed to do to get in the MWD program, apparently now its just get to E4.  I'll ask her when she calls again, or I'll send a text message at COB.

Do you have any info on what exactly is the usual day to day job for a Security Forces person?  As well, and please excuse the ignorance, but I'm not entirely sure what EVOC is exactly.
1577/2811

stillamarine

EVOC is Emergency Vehicle Operator's (or operations in some areas) Course.  How to drive a cruiser with out banging it up to badly :D
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Al Sayre

I went to BMT (Navy) at 22, had a couple of guys in my company who were 27 and 31 respectively...  We all made it through without any problems...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SJFedor

Well Tim, let me ask you this. What is it you'd be going back to ERAU for? Because most, if not all, the courses ERAU offers can be found elsewhere, and usually at a better price, too.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

Go to Runnersworld.com they have a free section on there for beginners.  I used them (the hardcopy magazine) and a "pyramid" running program to loose almost 60 pounds before I joined the army.  If you are interested, talk to a recruiter and get into a delayed enlistment program with the stipulation that you will get in shape before basic.  That way you get an ID card and can access Base services like a gym.  (That part depends on if you are in an area with military installations.  Also most recruiters have no problem helping an eager, prospective young guy get in shape if you really want to.  Just don't blow smoke their way.  Don't say "If I can get in shape I will enlist".  Say "help me get in shape and I will sign the next day".  PLUS don't some Delayed entry programs offer promotion potential before you even leave for basic.  I know the Army does.  You attend meetings, and take PT tests, and learn soldier skills before you head off to basic, the recruiter verifies it, and you graduate as an E-2 instead of E-1. 

I still have my pyramid running plans if you are interested!  I had to burn mostly beer and "cheesy-poofs" before the Army would even look at me.  However, that was one of the best things I have done in my life (getting in shape), I highly recommend it, even if you decide not to join!

As far as age goes in basic I say,  Don't worry; I seriously doubt you will be the oldest person there.  There will be younger men and women of course but I would bet anything you won't be the oldest.  Don't let that phase you.

As far as jobs go, that is a HUGE personal decision.  You need to do some MAJOR research, because once you are trained in your job, the military usually does not like to re-train you unless they get rid of your field.  So if you find your job sucking, guess what.......unless you have some cool commanders, your job will well.......suck!

Also, now is the time I will steal the AF thunder.  You know you can do similar things that you want to do in the AF in other services.  Don't limit yourself to "I was CAP; I need to join the AF".  I am not saying don't do what makes you happy, but look at other options. 

Whatever you do, don't base your decision of recruiting commercials or based solely what you read here.  You are an educated person (college makes you that way), take some time to talk to other recruiters, go out of your area if have to.  Ask the recruiters if they have contact info for persons that just joined, just graduated from basic and tech school.  Get their opinions on what the schools were like, how life is so far and if they have any regrets.  Most recruiters carry around a call sheet with those that said "sure I will help you talk to prospective recruits". 

Finally, like I tell my Cadets, "If it is not on the contract, you are not getting it".  Don't lawyer around with terms on the contract, if something is promised to you; make sure before you and the recruiter sign, that it is annotated.  They can also draw up a letter before the contract is even written that will list what options, perks etc will be found in the DD Form. 

Finally again (I promise) you may find that because all of the Services met recruiting goals last month and for the year (2007), there are some "additional bonuses" or perks that won't be offered to you.  Face it; you are coming in early in the yearly recruiting game.  The recruiters and the commands know that it is not necessarily "crunch time" right now.  They will hold off on as many "additionals" they can and save them for end-of-year catch up to meet mission numbers.  Don't take it the wrong way, I am sure you will get a big enlistment bonus, but it may not be as big as say 2 months ago. 

That is all I have in advice right now, unless there are specifics you need answered.  I am a little different as I deal mostly with those individuals seeking a Commission or Appointment, not an enlistment.  However the same principles are in both courses of action.  Be smart in what you want out of the enlistment, choose the right service, choose the right job, make sure your contractual obligations and benefits are well cited on all forms and get in shape.  (The getting in shape should be your ultimate priority right now.  It gets harder to get in shape the older you get!  It will be easier for you to loose FAT and gain muscle now than it would be in say 5 years).  And don't take fat loss pills, diet aids or fad diets that claim 2 pounds in 3 days.  And whatever you do, don't take steroids! 

That concludes this afternoon special!   :D
What's up monkeys?

BillB

Tim what you might consider is taking the AFIADL (or whatever) weather couse before you enlist. I believe there are two courses. Besides it carries a transferable 5 semester credit hours at many universities. When I took it there were 5 volumns so it's a long course but wasn't that hard.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: SJFedor on January 15, 2008, 05:46:09 PM
Well Tim, let me ask you this. What is it you'd be going back to ERAU for? Because most, if not all, the courses ERAU offers can be found elsewhere, and usually at a better price, too.
My first choice program is Applied Meteorology, however since they also required a second choice, I put down Aeronautical Science (professional pilot) with a Military Pilot specialty as it includes ROTC courses in the program.

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 15, 2008, 06:59:59 PM
Go to Runnersworld.com they have a free section on there for beginners.  I used them (the hardcopy magazine) and a "pyramid" running program to loose almost 60 pounds before I joined the army.  If you are interested, talk to a recruiter and get into a delayed enlistment program with the stipulation that you will get in shape before basic.  That way you get an ID card and can access Base services like a gym.  (That part depends on if you are in an area with military installations.  Also most recruiters have no problem helping an eager, prospective young guy get in shape if you really want to.  Just don't blow smoke their way.  Don't say "If I can get in shape I will enlist".  Say "help me get in shape and I will sign the next day".  PLUS don't some Delayed entry programs offer promotion potential before you even leave for basic.  I know the Army does.  You attend meetings, and take PT tests, and learn soldier skills before you head off to basic, the recruiter verifies it, and you graduate as an E-2 instead of E-1. 
I'll definately check out that site, running has been my weakness since I was young.  According to when I weighed myself before Christmas, I need to lose 40lbs before I can even think of going to BMT.  So yes, that is the primary priority, its also a priority if I go back to ERAU since I would like to join AFROTC there.  If I don't get in ERAU I will be walking the 3 blocks to my recruiter and sign up.  I'd most likely be in the DEP program anyway since I already have plans up until mid August (National Boards is in my backyard and I've already committed to an NCSA in July) so once I get my ID card I'll do what you suggest and see about making use of MacDill AFB's services (never thought of doing that actually).  When it comes to graduating higher than E-1, taking a look at the AFRSI 36-2001 (If I recall) I qualify for E-3 about 2 or 3 different ways, CAP (I have at least the Mitchell), college credit work (I am one class away from my AA degree, 98 credits presently) and JROTC (4 years, Army).

I still have my pyramid running plans if you are interested!  I had to burn mostly beer and "cheesy-poofs" before the Army would even look at me.  However, that was one of the best things I have done in my life (getting in shape), I highly recommend it, even if you decide not to join!
I am definately interested, not so much beer and cheesy-poof for me, more like double cheeseburgers and fries from driving around the state for DDR and cadet stuff over the last few years.
As far as jobs go, that is a HUGE personal decision.  You need to do some MAJOR research, because once you are trained in your job, the military usually does not like to re-train you unless they get rid of your field.  So if you find your job sucking, guess what.......unless you have some cool commanders, your job will well.......suck!
Thats what I figured, which is why I am posting here trying to see what its like for people who've already walked the paths I'm looking at.  My top 2 choices, weather and Security Forces are what I'm really looking for (I've enjoyed weather since I was about 10, plus who doesn't enjoy a good thunderstorm, tornado or hurricane?  I can remember thinking how cool it would be to be a cop since I was about 8, that fascination lost touch with me for a small bit, but was rekindled when a local unit had a bunch of police officers and Sheriffs deputies join, and then when my friend went Security Forces that kind of cemented its #2 spot in my mind but definitely close to being #1.
Also, now is the time I will steal the AF thunder.  You know you can do similar things that you want to do in the AF in other services.  Don't limit yourself to "I was CAP; I need to join the AF".  I am not saying don't do what makes you happy, but look at other options. 
My decision was actually based on the jobs I was looking at, the future family factor (6 months away + family = not good in my eyes) and other factors.  So it wasn't just CAP, or my dad being former AF ;)
Whatever you do, don't base your decision of recruiting commercials or based solely what you read here.  You are an educated person (college makes you that way), take some time to talk to other recruiters, go out of your area if have to.  Ask the recruiters if they have contact info for persons that just joined, just graduated from basic and tech school.  Get their opinions on what the schools were like, how life is so far and if they have any regrets.  Most recruiters carry around a call sheet with those that said "sure I will help you talk to prospective recruits". 

Finally, like I tell my Cadets, "If it is not on the contract, you are not getting it".  Don't lawyer around with terms on the contract, if something is promised to you; make sure before you and the recruiter sign, that it is annotated.  They can also draw up a letter before the contract is even written that will list what options, perks etc will be found in the DD Form. 
Wilco, this is one piece of advice that I've heard time and time again.
Finally again (I promise) you may find that because all of the Services met recruiting goals last month and for the year (2007), there are some "additional bonuses" or perks that won't be offered to you.  Face it; you are coming in early in the yearly recruiting game.  The recruiters and the commands know that it is not necessarily "crunch time" right now.  They will hold off on as many "additionals" they can and save them for end-of-year catch up to meet mission numbers.  Don't take it the wrong way, I am sure you will get a big enlistment bonus, but it may not be as big as say 2 months ago. 
Honestly, the term enlistment bonus didn't even enter my mind until you said it.  I'll just be happy with a paycheck and a good job with job security for a bit.
That is all I have in advice right now, unless there are specifics you need answered.  I am a little different as I deal mostly with those individuals seeking a Commission or Appointment, not an enlistment.  However the same principles are in both courses of action.  Be smart in what you want out of the enlistment, choose the right service, choose the right job, make sure your contractual obligations and benefits are well cited on all forms and get in shape.  (The getting in shape should be your ultimate priority right now.  It gets harder to get in shape the older you get!  It will be easier for you to loose FAT and gain muscle now than it would be in say 5 years).  And don't take fat loss pills, diet aids or fad diets that claim 2 pounds in 3 days.  And whatever you do, don't take steroids! 

That concludes this afternoon special!   :D

Back when I started high school I had only considered the Academy, then I took Algebra 2, then I turned to AFROTC, but I met difficulties adjusting to college life and had to leave after a year at ERAU.  Now I've applied for readmission and like I said above, I'm not 100% confident I'll get back in and enlistment has always been in my back pocket so I'm doing all the research I can since that back pocket might very well come into use.  Getting in shape is something that I am going to have to do either way, I realize I'm going to have to do it "the hard way" if I want to keep it off as well.  Thankfully saving up money to see my friend at tech school is helping since I can't really go out and grab a bite to eat when the winds move me, not to mention I'd like to look good for her, but thats for another thread :p
Quote from: BillB on January 15, 2008, 07:10:32 PM
Tim what you might consider is taking the AFIADL (or whatever) weather couse before you enlist. I believe there are two courses. Besides it carries a transferable 5 semester credit hours at many universities. When I took it there were 5 volumns so it's a long course but wasn't that hard.
I'll consider that, are you talking about the CDC courses?  If so, if I recall it says its limited to DoD personnel.
1577/2811

Major Lord

I went throught the police academy at age 25. They called me "grandpa".

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Nick

I went through BMT and the security forces academy at 24 years old.  While I was one of the few oldest trainees and students (in BMT and tech school, respectively), it's not uncommon and it's definitely not beyond the physical ability of a normal mid-20s person who's in decent enough shape to meet AF accession requirements.  I have seen prior service students in their late 30s do the program with little trouble.

A few points:

- Meteorology: You can use it on the outside in some various applications, and although you're fairly limited to the variety of civilian jobs, the money's good.

- Security Forces: You can use it on the outside in an extremely few applications (security guard, police officer, physical security specialist), and the pay will typically suck.

- Computers: Everything involves computers, and the money's good.

So, take it as you will.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

SarDragon

A little side note - meteorology at the college level requires insane amounts of math.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret