Main Menu

Toyota Sponsafier

Started by smitjud, June 28, 2010, 01:28:07 AM

High Speed Low Drag

Here is the latest one I submitted that got shot down:

G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

smitjud

I like it.  I'll try my hand at it and see if I have any better luck.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

smitjud

Just submitted my take on your design.  Also, not sure if its a glitch or not, but voting is back open on my first design.  Take advantage of it!
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

NIN

Quote from: FARRIER on July 11, 2010, 10:16:48 PM
Hind site being 20/20, NASCAR fans have seemed to be a more patriotic demographic. The exposure of the car had put us out in front of that group. At the point and time, I was one that thought spending money on the car was a waste of funds. Maybe its an idea that should be revisted? Does anyone have the numbers on the cost of the program originally?

I'll take FW's numbers as legit ($11M always seemd "steep"), but from a "development" standpoint, a NASCAR sponsorship was a bad idea.

When Ashton Lewis (who, BTW, was a *really* good dude) came here to NHIS, we held the wing event at my Armory with the simulator car and I got a nice opportunity to meet all of the support guys behind the "marketing" aspects of the car sponsorship.

Most interestingly, that night I met George Freeman, who was our "Chief Advancement Officer" and the guy behind "NASCAR as a fundraiser for CAP." 

Now, I have subsequently worked at a non-profit educational institution that had an entire "Office of Advancement" whose sole mission was wringing money out of alums, businesses, interested parties, etc.  IIRC, George came to CAP from Auburn, where he worked in their advancement office.

I have George's business card, and, well, it was 95% NASCAR and 5% CAP. That alone should tell you where his entire interest in Civil Air Patrol lay.  And at the pre-race and race activities, I saw George out on the track prancing around in his David Clarks, playing "dude from the sponsor."

The NASCAR sponsorship, from an advancement standpoint, was a "one-trick pony." And not a very "high return" opportunity at that.   It was, as far as I could tell from down here in the trenches, George's only fundraising idea for CAP.  You will note that very quickly after CAP terminated the sponsorship that George left.

I don't want to cast aspersions on our comrades from south of the Mason-Dixon line, but the whole thing struck me not as a benefit for CAP, but more as an opportunity for a "good-ole' Suthrin' boy to git hisself a NASCAR team..."

YMMV, but thats sure what it looked like.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

smitjud

Quote from: smitjud on July 24, 2010, 06:03:21 PM
I like it.  I'll try my hand at it and see if I have any better luck.

Ha!  Well my version of yours got nixed too.  Will modify it and try again.  I'll replace the command shield with the emblem and see what happens.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: NIN on July 24, 2010, 11:16:39 PM
Quote from: FARRIER on July 11, 2010, 10:16:48 PM
Hind site being 20/20, NASCAR fans have seemed to be a more patriotic demographic. The exposure of the car had put us out in front of that group. At the point and time, I was one that thought spending money on the car was a waste of funds. Maybe its an idea that should be revisted? Does anyone have the numbers on the cost of the program originally?

I'll take FW's numbers as legit ($11M always seemd "steep"), but from a "development" standpoint, a NASCAR sponsorship was a bad idea.

When Ashton Lewis (who, BTW, was a *really* good dude) came here to NHIS, we held the wing event at my Armory with the simulator car and I got a nice opportunity to meet all of the support guys behind the "marketing" aspects of the car sponsorship.

Most interestingly, that night I met George Freeman, who was our "Chief Advancement Officer" and the guy behind "NASCAR as a fundraiser for CAP." 

Now, I have subsequently worked at a non-profit educational institution that had an entire "Office of Advancement" whose sole mission was wringing money out of alums, businesses, interested parties, etc.  IIRC, George came to CAP from Auburn, where he worked in their advancement office.

I have George's business card, and, well, it was 95% NASCAR and 5% CAP. That alone should tell you where his entire interest in Civil Air Patrol lay.  And at the pre-race and race activities, I saw George out on the track prancing around in his David Clarks, playing "dude from the sponsor."

The NASCAR sponsorship, from an advancement standpoint, was a "one-trick pony." And not a very "high return" opportunity at that.   It was, as far as I could tell from down here in the trenches, George's only fundraising idea for CAP.  You will note that very quickly after CAP terminated the sponsorship that George left.

I don't want to cast aspersions on our comrades from south of the Mason-Dixon line, but the whole thing struck me not as a benefit for CAP, but more as an opportunity for a "good-ole' Suthrin' boy to git hisself a NASCAR team..."

YMMV, but thats sure what it looked like.

I don't think that sponsoring a NASCAR team is a good idea - but what we are working on is free. May only be for one race - but hey, something free is an extra oppurtunity.
G. St. Pierre                             

smitjud

Ok, I got my version of HSLD's design through Mods:

http://www.sponsafier.com/share/348111

And this one is through as well:

http://www.sponsafier.com/share/350754
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

High Speed Low Drag

I like both of them.  The take on the BDUs was really innovative.

Thanks for the help.
G. St. Pierre                             

smitjud

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 26, 2010, 02:26:49 AM
The take on the BDUs was really innovative.

I thought so too, but then came across this:

http://www.sponsafier.com/share/296831

They've got a ton of votes too.  Come on folks, we're better than them!
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jerry Jacobs

smitjud

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on July 26, 2010, 03:52:23 AM
http://www.sponsafier.com/#/gallery/view/344125

Looks like 4chan is going to win this one

Definitely have a little bit of catching up to do!  :o
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Jerry Jacobs

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 26, 2010, 03:44:49 PM

Geez, this goes against rules 1&2.

That doesn't apply to 4chan, only a particular board, reread the rules

davidsinn

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on July 26, 2010, 07:15:28 PM

Look at the car closely. It violates rule 1 and 2.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

High Speed Low Drag

QuoteLooks like 4chan is going to win this one

I'm trying to figure out why it's worth 32,000 votes, and how it got that many in 5 days.
G. St. Pierre                             

davidsinn

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 27, 2010, 01:55:16 AM

I'm trying to figure out why it's worth 32,000 votes, and how it got that many in 5 days.

It's 4chan. They are the underbelly of the internet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

Captain Sinn, I would correct you.

Social networking is the underbelly.

4chan is the lower intestines.

That's as detailed as I get on a site full of impressionable cadets.

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2010, 02:13:22 AM
Captain Sinn, I would correct you.

Social networking is the underbelly.

4chan is the lower intestines.

That's as detailed as I get on a site full of impressionable cadets.

You are correct. I went there once just to see what the fuss was. I have only one thing to say:

What has been seen can never be unseen. :o
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

HGjunkie

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on July 26, 2010, 07:15:28 PM

nope. this is a raid, and rules one and two apply to raids.
Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 27, 2010, 01:55:16 AM

If you really wanna know, there are tens of thousands of users on the board at one time, and since every post is a repost of a repost of a repost (etc...), I think you can figure out how it hits the fan from there.  ;)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF