Main Menu

Toyota Sponsafier

Started by smitjud, June 28, 2010, 01:28:07 AM

smitjud

Voting is closed on my first design.  Here is my second.  Minus the triangle thingy.

http://www.sponsafier.com/share/332222
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Capt Rivera

I've voted for both cars linked so far... HighSpeed, please post yours...

It would be great for a CAP car to win...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: FW on July 10, 2010, 01:10:49 PM
Quote from: a2capt on July 10, 2010, 02:27:59 AM
I'm tempted to vote for something else, anything - just because that whole NASCAR thing was a big offensive waste of money.

Yes, it was.  However, the intention was good.  The plan was not.  We failed because we didn't get additional sponsors before signing ink to paper.  We needed additional sponsors because we didn't have the money to sustain the project.  Membership went up about 10000 during this period; mostly due to exposure from NASCAR (not 9-11).  When we left NASCAR, membership dropped like a rock in just 2 years.

Oh, and we lost about 2 million bucks from the fiasco (about half of our investable assets).  Luckily(?), we made it back with some shrewed investing of some dedicated individuals... :angel:
Historically here's what one wing still has on it's website about this (I would get it quick cause likely it will be taken down):
http://wiwg.cap.gov/wi046/capracing.htm

Looks like this started Feb 2002.   Of course the tragedy of '9/11" was in 2001.   I'm still puzzled why having a racing car would do some much for gaining membership, as opposed to the the tragedy in 2001 and the aftermath of homeland security/defense hysteria that swept the country   :-\ :(   Perhaps "9/11" was the incentive BUT the race car offered "the exposure" of a possible organization to join.  ??? 

Perhaps FW can provide more information on how CAP knew its' membership grew because of the NASCAR sponsorship.  Also when it dropped like a rock, was it the new members that left or more long term members?   

RM

JC004

I like the color on this one better and the use of only an official logo makes it awesome.

FW

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 11, 2010, 05:45:42 PM

Perhaps FW can provide more information on how CAP knew its' membership grew because of the NASCAR sponsorship.  Also when it dropped like a rock, was it the new members that left or more long term members?   

RM

From the membership data gleaned from 2001-2003, NHQ noticed most of the applications coming in were from the NASCAR (must have been an entry on the application).  The sudden drop in membership after 2003 could be for many reasons however, It seems more than a coincidence with the end of our "NASCAR ERRor" and sharp member decline.  I don't have a clue with the demographics of those leaving at that time.  Anyone want to chime in on this?

In any event, it was a shame we couldn't hold on to the members; new or experienced.  CAP needs more than a marketing campaign or sponsorship to retain our members.  (Gee, that sounds obvious)

Now, back to the topic.  Great designs.  I voted for both also...

FARRIER

Looks like this started Feb 2002.   Of course the tragedy of '9/11" was in 2001.   I'm still puzzled why having a racing car would do some much for gaining membership, as opposed to the the tragedy in 2001 and the aftermath of homeland security/defense hysteria that swept the country   :-\ :(   Perhaps "9/11" was the incentive BUT the race car offered "the exposure" of a possible organization to join.  ??? 

Hind site being 20/20, NASCAR fans have seemed to be a more patriotic demographic. The exposure of the car had put us out in front of that group. At the point and time, I was one that thought spending money on the car was a waste of funds. Maybe its an idea that should be revisted? Does anyone have the numbers on the cost of the program originally? 
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

smitjud

http://www.motorracingnetwork.com/article.aspx?artnum=16057

Apparently the board of governors thought it was effective after the first year.

Most race teams don't publicly release sponsorship prices, but here are estimates of the deal:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/8416

Obviously, CAP didn't pick up their option on the 3rd year.
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

FW

Quote from: FARRIER on July 11, 2010, 10:16:48 PM
Hind site being 20/20, NASCAR fans have seemed to be a more patriotic demographic. The exposure of the car had put us out in front of that group. At the point and time, I was one that thought spending money on the car was a waste of funds. Maybe its an idea that should be revisted? Does anyone have the numbers on the cost of the program originally? 

The contract was for $1.5 million/year for 3 years.  Can we do the math.... >:D

Actually, we only spent just over $2.4 million (if I remember correctly). We negotiated an early release to the agreement when we realized we were going to go broke.

High Speed Low Drag

OK - I'll put it up with the express intention of having others see where I tried to go with it.  Maybe smitjud can improve my graphics.  I just can't manipulate the graphics as well as he does.

It's in for the mods to check it out.  I'll post the link when it goes live
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

FARRIER

Ouch. Okay, maybe best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Quote from: FW on July 12, 2010, 12:46:34 AM
Quote from: FARRIER on July 11, 2010, 10:16:48 PM

The contract was for $1.5 million/year for 3 years.  Can we do the math.... >:D

Actually, we only spent just over $2.4 million (if I remember correctly). We negotiated an early release to the agreement when we realized we were going to go broke.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

JC004

Quote from: FW on July 11, 2010, 07:14:52 PM

RM

From the membership data gleaned from 2001-2003, NHQ noticed most of the applications coming in were from the NASCAR (must have been an entry on the application).  The sudden drop in membership after 2003 could be for many reasons however, It seems more than a coincidence with the end of our "NASCAR ERRor" and sharp member decline.  I don't have a clue with the demographics of those leaving at that time.  Anyone want to chime in on this?

In any event, it was a shame we couldn't hold on to the members; new or experienced.  CAP needs more than a marketing campaign or sponsorship to retain our members.  (Gee, that sounds obvious)

Now, back to the topic.  Great designs.  I voted for both also...

I seem to remember that being on the applications or somewhere.  According to that strange study that came out a while ago, everybody was leavin' cuz they moved and didn't renew in their new locale.  I believe that came out when you were in the cool club.  Perhaps you have a copy from the meetings?

We need a comprehensive marketing plan, but so far it has been tiny pieces, some of which have gone unused or were useless (like that whole PPT on the idea that blogging would solve our problems).

a2capt

Quote from: JC004 on July 10, 2010, 04:10:59 AMI've forgiven him for putting the Triangle Thingy because he was clearly tricked into using it.   >:D   ;D
Tricked.. I love it. With all these .sig graphics of "Kill the Triangle-Thingy" ;D

smitjud

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 12, 2010, 04:07:10 AM
OK - I'll put it up with the express intention of having others see where I tried to go with it.  Maybe smitjud can improve my graphics.  I just can't manipulate the graphics as well as he does.

It's in for the mods to check it out.  I'll post the link when it goes live

Make it through Mods yet?
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

High Speed Low Drag

No.  They killed it because it had Trademarked logos on it.  I sent a question about the fact I have legal use of them, but haven't heard anything back (and that was Monday). But I thought it was sweet looking.   8)
G. St. Pierre                             

smitjud

I went through that myself a few times.  Very frustrating.  Never found anyone to contact about it though.  In fact, I submitted the same design as my first one the first round of the contest that ended a few months ago, and it was denied as "potentially offensive".  I kept resubmitting it though, and after one denial this round of the contest, I had it accepted upon the second submission and my second design had no snags.  Good luck!
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

JC004

Was it the Triangle Thingy that was potentially offensive?   >:D

smitjud

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 15, 2010, 10:36:26 PM
No.  They killed it because it had Trademarked logos on it.  I sent a question about the fact I have legal use of them, but haven't heard anything back (and that was Monday). But I thought it was sweet looking.   8)

Any luck yet?
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

High Speed Low Drag

Nope.  Did two more tries.  Anymore and it's not even worth trying.

Who did you liason with to get yours through?

G. St. Pierre                             

smitjud

No one.  I just submitted it and it was approved.  The first one after a couple attempts, the second with no snags at all.  Didn't take more than a few hours to go through mods.  Sucks you're having those issues.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

High Speed Low Drag

OK - Here are three of the original design that got shot down:

G. St. Pierre