Main Menu

Uniform Options

Started by KioGoten, May 23, 2010, 09:48:52 PM

a2capt

Quote from: Custer on May 31, 2010, 10:37:08 PMAnd its not just national = CAWG had its own polo shirt uniform until this last supplement came out when it just vanished.  No wear out date or anything, it just went poof.
I half get the feeling that this most recent CAWG 39-1 supplement was written to supplement/supersede where it overlaps, the prior supplement. Because the things that otherwise vanished.. at least NHQ puts sunset dates on stuff and usually puts out a draft so folks get time to input stuff, and a bit of a warning.

ßτε

Quote from: a2capt on June 01, 2010, 12:33:16 AM
Quote from: Custer on May 31, 2010, 10:37:08 PMAnd its not just national = CAWG had its own polo shirt uniform until this last supplement came out when it just vanished.  No wear out date or anything, it just went poof.
I half get the feeling that this most recent CAWG 39-1 supplement was written to supplement/supersede where it overlaps, the prior supplement. Because the things that otherwise vanished.. at least NHQ puts sunset dates on stuff and usually puts out a draft so folks get time to input stuff, and a bit of a warning.
The prior supplement has been obsolete since 2008.
Ref: http://www.cawg.cap.gov/Files/Supplements/cawg0-2.pdf

Custer

Quote from: bte on June 01, 2010, 01:23:13 AM
Whoh.  That makes it even worse.

The 2008 document you reference does indeed state the 2006 39-1 supplement is obsolete.  And that as of that date, (15 July 2008) that there WAS NO CAWG supplement to 39-1.

On 11 April 2010,  a new wing supplement to 39-1 came out.  It mostly defines that new orange shirt ground team thing but it adds the sailplane uniform sort of as an afterthought, from the looks of it.   There was a 21 month gap between the old supplement being expressly withdrawn and the new one being issued.  So for 21 months that bizarre "Sailplane Ops" uniform was not in fact a uniform, then it came back

PHall

Quote from: Custer on June 01, 2010, 03:21:27 AM
Quote from: bte on June 01, 2010, 01:23:13 AM
Whoh.  That makes it even worse.

The 2008 document you reference does indeed state the 2006 39-1 supplement is obsolete.  And that as of that date, (15 July 2008) that there WAS NO CAWG supplement to 39-1.

On 11 April 2010,  a new wing supplement to 39-1 came out.  It mostly defines that new orange shirt ground team thing but it adds the sailplane uniform sort of as an afterthought, from the looks of it.   There was a 21 month gap between the old supplement being expressly withdrawn and the new one being issued.  So for 21 months that bizarre "Sailplane Ops" uniform was not in fact a uniform, then it came back

The "bizarre" sailplane uniform was in the Supplement to the 60-1. Mainly because the 60-1 is where National put the "bizarre" sailplane uniform.

And it's not "bizarre", it pretty much the standard "uniform" in the sailplane community. Sailplanes have a real problem with "greenhouse effect" in the cockpit.

vmstan

Quote from: Custer on May 31, 2010, 10:37:08 PM
That's the original series, sort of.  You got (command and engineering reversed) - in TNG (the next generation) they were all maroon.  Of course, they changed their uniforms from the latter movies, which changed them from the first movie, which was different from the original tv show.  And later on Voyager was different too.  I think I know who they hired as a a consultant...

Actually, no... http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(2366-2370s)

The the TOS movies, after the first, they all had red tunics with varied shades of white undershirts for the different areas. TNG had red/yellow/blue again.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Custer

Quote from: PHall on June 01, 2010, 04:48:06 AM
The "bizarre" sailplane uniform was in the Supplement to the 60-1. Mainly because the 60-1 is where National put the "bizarre" sailplane uniform.  And it's not "bizarre", it pretty much the standard "uniform" in the sailplane community. Sailplanes have a real problem with "greenhouse effect" in the cockpit.
So if its in 60-1 why does it need to be in the wing supplement as well?

RickRutledge

Minutia = This entire thread.

We're trying to split atoms....again.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Custer

Quote from: RickRutledge on June 01, 2010, 04:27:09 PM
Minutia = This entire thread.  We're trying to split atoms....again.
Well now this has nothing directly to do with uniforms.  Nothing should be defined twice in two different regulations, especially if published by two different levels.  If the same, its redundant, if different, you will have people following two sets of rules. and defeating the purpose of having a defined regulation to cover it at all.

PHall

The wing supplement specified which shirts could be worn in a bit more detail.

Custer

Quote from: PHall on June 02, 2010, 01:23:27 AM
The wing supplement specified which shirts could be worn in a bit more detail.
1-5.d Added. Special Uniform for Sailplane Operations. Members may wear a CAP
distinctive shirt (Squadron shirt, activity shirt, or any approved knit golf shirt) with dark blue or
khaki shorts (hemmed) or BDU pants and tennis shoes while participating in sailplane operations.

I think the reason this is so vague is that what you wear in a sailplane really doesn't matter, and this basically lets anything count as a uniform probably just to satisfy the rule that you be in a uniform while flying.

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Marshalus on June 01, 2010, 12:48:09 PM

The the TOS movies, after the first, they all had red tunics with varied shades of white undershirts for the different areas. TNG had red/yellow/blue again.

Now that you have stolen 45 minutes of my life with that link of fasicnating but completely useless information...

All that members want is a unifrom that will keep AF off of our back but still military in appearance.  Is that too much to ask?
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

bosshawk

Folks: that polo shirt that you mention is the gray one, put forth by one Larry Myrick, when he was the Wing King.  He specifically wanted it to be worn by Wing Staff.  It is still worn by those who have managed to keep them in one piece all this time.

For what it is worth, there also used to be a maroon polo shirt for those in the CD program.  It was put out by National, but they suspended awarding them a number of years ago: I never got one.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

vmstan

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on July 05, 2010, 02:47:18 AM
Quote from: Marshalus on June 01, 2010, 12:48:09 PM

Now that you have stolen 45 minutes of my life with that link of fasicnating but completely useless information...

All that members want is a unifrom that will keep AF off of our back but still military in appearance.  Is that too much to ask?

You're quite welcome, sir. I spend many hours wasting away on Memory Alpha.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4