Luis R. Ramos

Are you sure they were not playing you?

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

lowapproach

Quote from: Ned on January 23, 2019, 07:34:52 PM
But I find the whole notion of "forced drinking" to be distasteful, and as others have pointed out it is rooted firmly in an alcoholic tradition that is wholly inappropriate for cadets.  So although we do not have a specific rule that prohibits "grog" ceremonies, I would personally discourage it.

Honestly, the rest of the ceremonies in the dining out, including the "toasts" for our Commander in Chief, various Air Force and CAP leaders, and fallen comrades, can be said to be "forced drinking" or  "rooted firmly in an alcoholic tradition". I don't see why we need to strip, dissect and destroy yet another CAP tradition by enacting CAP's version of the 18th amendment (prohibition). 

Let's just add the entire Dining in/out experience as a forbidden activity in 60-1 too, and then we can revisit the "why is recruiting and retention suffering" at a future date...
:clap:

Eclipse

Quote from: lowapproach on January 24, 2019, 01:44:46 AM
Quote from: Ned on January 23, 2019, 07:34:52 PM
But I find the whole notion of "forced drinking" to be distasteful, and as others have pointed out it is rooted firmly in an alcoholic tradition that is wholly inappropriate for cadets.  So although we do not have a specific rule that prohibits "grog" ceremonies, I would personally discourage it.

Honestly, the rest of the ceremonies in the dining out, including the "toasts" for our Commander in Chief, various Air Force and CAP leaders, and fallen comrades, can be said to be "forced drinking" or  "rooted firmly in an alcoholic tradition". I don't see why we need to strip, dissect and destroy yet another CAP tradition by enacting CAP's version of the 18th amendment (prohibition). 

Let's just add the entire Dining in/out experience as a forbidden activity in 60-1 too, and then we can revisit the "why is recruiting and retention suffering" at a future date...
:clap:

A: This is by no means a "CAP Tradition".  It's done randomly by a few units, usually ones on
military facilities or who have a high percentage of members who are current or former, but the
for the vast majority of units, they haven't even heard of it, nor would they ever consider it.

Worse though, in many cases it's done poorly, but members who know "of" the tradition, but not how to do it properly.

B: If you actually believe prohibiting the Grog would have any impact whatsoever on "recruiting or retention", then you do not have an
understanding of the challenges facing CAP in that regard.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pace

If you're gonna do one, you have to have at least 2 baby ruth bars floating in there. Just sayin'...
Lt Col, CAP

PHall

You know, I've never ever seen stuff like Baby Ruth Bars in "real" grog that was served at a "real" military Dining In/Out.
We always had alcoholic and non-alcoholic grog and neither was disagreeable in taste or appearance.
Don't know where the notion that grog had to be nasty came from. I know it's not in the Air Force tradition.

SarDragon

As Moderator I must aver, I thoroughly examined our thread, and it's not only merely locked, it's really most sincerely locked.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret