Main Menu

SER Winter Encampment

Started by BillB, January 03, 2008, 11:26:51 AM

BillB

I wonder how the Southeast Region Winter Encampment is doing. The temperature in the Camp Blanding area is 22 degress with a wind chill of 15. Must be a new experience for south Florida cadets.  (0600 PT ??)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Stonewall

What?  You mean besides the Encampment Safety Officer breaking his hip on the obstacle course?  I'd say it's going well.

Hear he's doing well after surgery.  Hey, things happen.  If we wanted to be safe we would have joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary.   ;D
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on January 03, 2008, 06:16:08 PM
What?  You mean besides the Encampment Safety Officer breaking his hip on the obstacle course?  I'd say it's going well.

OUCH?!?!

"Things not to do at Encampment, 2008 version"

What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Quote from: Stonewall on January 03, 2008, 06:16:08 PM

Hear he's doing well after surgery.  Hey, things happen.  If we wanted to be safe we would have joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary.   ;D

That's horrible......ly ironic.

*sigh* only in SER....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

flyguy06

How did you hear about that already?

stillamarine

I know an email went out on the FL yahoo group the day it happened or the day after.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RiverAux

QuoteIf we wanted to be safe we would have joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary.   
Like Auxiliarist Jimmin Chang?  An CG Auxiliary interpreter, he went 600 odd miles out from San Francisco on a AF helicopter (undergoing 2 underway refuelings) and ended up being hoisted down with the PJs (and later back up) onto the aft deck of a freighter, which had a crewman in medical distress. http://www.auxadept.org/navigator/2003SUMMER.pdf

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 06, 2008, 05:03:05 PM
How did you hear about that already?

Ummm...I live about 1 hour from the encampment, I had a cadet or two at the encampment and I'm plugged in...

Quote from: RiverAux on January 06, 2008, 08:00:25 PM

QuoteIf we wanted to be safe we would have joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary.   

Like Auxiliarist Jimmin Chang?  An CG Auxiliary interpreter, he went 600 odd miles out from San Francisco on a AF helicopter (undergoing 2 underway refuelings) and ended up being hoisted down with the PJs (and later back up) onto the aft deck of a freighter, which had a crewman in medical distress. http://www.auxadept.org/navigator/2003SUMMER.pdf

Yes, just like Jimmin Chang....  You do realize it was a friendly bash on a sister auxiliary group, right?  No different than me taklin' smack on the Navy, being an Army and Air Force veteran...  Please don't get offended by this.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

Yeah, I knew.  I just thought it would be funny to respond to.   >:D

Stonewall

From the SER WE website.

Is this guy wearing the "Ranger" patch on his left sleeve?  Is that metal rank?

click here for larger picture.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^^ Oh no......someone's in trouble!   :'(

Leave it to a Ranger...........
What's up monkeys?

BillB

That looks like a Hawk Mountain shoulder patch so probably wearing all kinds of Hawk bling.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on January 07, 2008, 06:53:38 AM
From the SER WE website.

Is this guy wearing the "Ranger" patch on his left sleeve?  Is that metal rank?

click here for larger picture.

Please dont ask. I had to get into him about several things. He wore bloused boots with his sercie blue citing he was a "Real" Ranger. So i called him out telling him thatif he were really in an airborne unit he would know that you only wear blused boots with a beret. he acted like he didnt know that and thats when I knew he was a perp. He means well.

You know what they say. Imitationis the best form of flattery.

As far as the metal rank. he says he just got promoted to 2d LT and didnt have the sew on. We didnt make that much of a deal about it. i am not a uniform Nazi.

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 07, 2008, 03:35:54 PMPlease dont ask.  I had to get into him about several things.  He wore bloused boots with his service blues citing he was a "Real" Ranger. So I called him out telling him thatif he were really in an airborne unit he would know that you only wear blused boots with a beret. he acted like he didn't know that and thats when I knew he was a perp.  He means well.

You know what they say.  Imitationis the best form of flattery.

If that's the case, he would understand and know how to follow regulations.  Very interesting.  Hope to meet this guy.  Is he in FL wing?

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 07, 2008, 03:35:54 PM
As far as the metal rank. he says he just got promoted to 2d LT and didnt have the sew on. We didnt make that much of a deal about it. i am not a uniform Nazi.

That's what I figured on the rank thing.  Well, at least, that's what I expected to hear.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ Becasue it takes all of five (5) minutes to sew your rank on.  No One there at the ENC asked this guy to do that?  I also noticed other things (as did others) but won't call him out, becuase I don't care.  I just hope someone down there gets him squared away! 
What's up monkeys?

BlackKnight

... He wore bloused boots with his sercie blue citing he was a "Real" Ranger. So i called him out telling him thatif he were really in an airborne unit he would know that you only wear blused boots with a beret. he acted like he didnt know that and thats when I knew he was a perp. He means well.

CAPM 39-1 Reg citiation please... 
Not sure if I understand your comment. I can't find anything prohibiting boot blousing. In fact, in my wing all but the rank newbies blouse their BDU trousers. Berets may or may not be authorized, depending on wing commander policy memos. Most of the memos I've seen that allow berets prohibit CAP members to wear them on a military base.

And here we go converting an encampment thread into a uniform thread.  >:D ;D
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

BillB

Knight read it again...blousing boots wearing blues, not BDUs  (have to read it through the typos)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BlackKnight

Ahh!   Definitely a major NO-NO!

Thanks for the linguistics assist...  ;D
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: BlackKnight on January 07, 2008, 09:20:57 PM
... He wore bloused boots with his sercie blue citing he was a "Real" Ranger. So i called him out telling him thatif he were really in an airborne unit he would know that you only wear blused boots with a beret. he acted like he didnt know that and thats when I knew he was a perp. He means well.

CAPM 39-1 Reg citiation please... 
Not sure if I understand your comment. I can't find anything prohibiting boot blousing. In fact, in my wing all but the rank newbies blouse their BDU trousers. Berets may or may not be authorized, depending on wing commander policy memos. Most of the memos I've seen that allow berets prohibit CAP members to wear them on a military base.

And here we go converting an encampment thread into a uniform thread.  >:D ;D

We are not talking about CAP regs here. This member claimed to be a real Army Ranger and thats why he had his boots bloused. I reminded him that Rangers as well as other Airborne units ONLY wear bloused boots when they are wearing their beretsand ONLY when they are currently assigned to said unit. Blousing BDU's trousers is cool. We are talkig about blousing Blues

flyguy06

Yes. Please forgive my typos

BlackKnight

Flyguy, thanks for the clarification. 

Did you notice the purple ranger tab patch above the left shirt pocket, and the double-stacked cloth specialty badges? 

What I find most interesting is not the cadet per se, but how in the heck do you get to be a C/2nd Lt (let alone assigned to region encampment staff) without learning basic wear of the uniform?   It speaks volumes about his home unit. We have a few squadrons like that in my wing. Clueless, apparently because their commanders prefer it that way.   ;)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP

spaatzmom

Is this person in question actually a cadet?  The insignia seems rather rectangular for cadet pips.  And I am having great difficulty in trying to figure out just what wing he is from.  According to the encampment list none of those signed up have a wing patch that remotely matches the picture.

Anyway, I can certainly understand your frustration and overload.  As a parent whose cadet has attended many encampments and activities both as an attendee and staff, I appreciate the efforts of all staff members.  Now that he is a senior member, I see the other side of the organization and he is again going to many events as a staff member.  You often give up your vacations and time you could have spent with your families especially during the holiday, only to come home wondering if it all in the long run was productive and meant anything.  All I can say is thank you and yes your efforts do affect the cadets even if they don't immediately have any results.  Again, thank you very much.

CadetProgramGuy

According to the resst of the posts, he is an Officer, 2nd LT, with very poor judgement according to CAPM 39-1

Stonewall

First, I want to find out if he was a "real army ranger".  If so, great, let's guide him on the wear of CAP uniforms.  If not, let's bust'em for telling people he was.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

sarmed1

Point 1-the former PA wing commander put out his own supplement to 39-1 authorizing the wear of "speacialty patches" in place of the wing patch (once the wear went optional) including the SAR patch, as well as i think COS and a few others.  His justification I suppose was he was on the uniform commitee at NHQ so he can do it....however most people follow it because,  "... who questions the wing commander?"  FLWG Ranger types whoe serve on HMRS staff agree to follow the same standards for bling wear as the PAWG counterparts. (...also explains the ranger tab)

POint 2-39-1 does say that leather combat boots are authorized with service dress.  Does not say bloused or not bloused (we all know that unbloused is the intention, and he is likely trying for the "cool" factor) but the leap of faith could include"....since I wear them bloused with BDU's and they are authorized with servic dress....thats how boots are worn)

and before anyone trys to fling the idea out there, never have I heard of any staff member at HMRS telling anyone they can wear their service dress pants bloused with combat boots....

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

mikeylikey

Quote from: Stonewall on January 08, 2008, 10:54:22 AM
First, I want to find out if he was a "real army ranger".  If so, great, let's guide him on the wear of CAP uniforms.  If not, let's bust'em for telling people he was.

YES! 

Quote from: sarmed1 on January 08, 2008, 07:12:15 PM
Point 1-the former PA wing commander put out his own supplement to 39-1 authorizing the wear of "specialty patches" in place of the wing patch (once the wear went optional) including the SAR patch, as well as i think COS and a few others.  His justification I suppose was he was on the uniform committee at NHQ so he can do it....however most people follow it because,  "... who questions the wing commander?"  FLWG Ranger types WHO serve on HMRS staff agree to follow the same standards for bling wear as the PAWG counterparts. (...also explains the ranger tab)

He was NOT on the Uniform Committee.  He just wanted the "Rangers" to have something to differentiate themselves from everyone else.  Heck, the guy had HMRS staff wearing metal rank on the Covers two years previous.  The guy is a HUGE Ranger fan, and started a campaign to get TP to mandate Orange baseball hats for the entire organization.  I say this is one reason why Wing Kings should NOT be allowed to make additions or deletions to 39-1!

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 08, 2008, 04:27:06 PM
Here is the video we showed at the Dining In

Does that C/COL know how to shave?  Good music BTW! 
What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

Point 1-the former PA wing commander put out his own supplement to 39-1 authorizing the wear of "speacialty patches" in place of the wing patch (once the wear went optional) including the SAR patch, as well as i think COS and a few others.  His justification I suppose was he was on the uniform commitee at NHQ so he can do it....however most people follow it because,  "... who questions the wing commander?"  FLWG Ranger types whoe serve on HMRS staff agree to follow the same standards for bling wear as the PAWG counterparts. (...also explains the ranger tab)

POint 2-39-1 does say that leather combat boots are authorized with service dress.  Does not say bloused or not bloused (we all know that unbloused is the intention, and he is likely trying for the "cool" factor) but the leap of faith could include"....since I wear them bloused with BDU's and they are authorized with servic dress....thats how boots are worn)

and before anyone trys to fling the idea out there, never have I heard of any staff member at HMRS telling anyone they can wear their service dress pants bloused with combat boots....

mk

I think there is a misunderstanding so let me correct it. I dont know anything about a Hawk Mountain ranger. This guy was telling us he was a REAL U.S. Army ranger. he said he was in 3rd Batt. That was his justification for blouseing his boots. You guys are taking this wayyy out of porportion. He was perpertrating himself as a REAL ARMY Ranger and its as simple as that

flyguy06

[/quote] 

Does that C/COL know how to shave?  Good music BTW! 

[/quote]

I agree but I was told its the Cadets Encampment and he ws the head guy so I stayed out of it. Again, this goes to my vent which will be forthcomming

thp

Quote from: BillB on January 03, 2008, 11:26:51 AM(0600 PT ??)
That would be nice, at Texas Wing Encampment we had to get up at 0500 and were outside and starting PT at 0505...

Stonewall

FLWG is one of the wings that require the wear of the wing patch.  I didn't know a 2d Lt could blow off what a wing commander directed.

Quote from: sarmed1 on January 08, 2008, 07:12:15 PMPOint 2-39-1 does say that leather combat boots are authorized with service dress.  Does not say bloused or not bloused (we all know that unbloused is the intention, and he is likely trying for the "cool" factor) but the leap of faith could include"....since I wear them bloused with BDU's and they are authorized with servic dress....thats how boots are worn)

mk

Yep, but as FlyGuy says, this 2d Lt says he was a 3rd BN Ranger.  Great, if that's the case, then CAP can benefit from his military service.  But being a Ranger doesn't mean much more than a former cook, intel analyst, or special forces guy joining the ranks of CAP.  Sure, he can offer leadership, some field skills that may correlate to ground team stuff, or even drill & ceremonies; but even being a combat veteran does not give you the right to blow of 39-1 and do things "your way".

I'm not a fan of wearing the FLWG patch, but I wear it, grudgingly.  I'm not better than 39-1 and neither is a 3rd BN Ranger.
Serving since 1987.

BlackKnight

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 08, 2008, 08:32:52 PM
... This guy was telling us he was a REAL U.S. Army ranger. he said he was in 3rd Batt. That was his justification for blouseing his boots. You guys are taking this wayyy out of porportion. He was perpertrating himself as a REAL ARMY Ranger and its as simple as that

This just gets better and better.  If he was a REAL U.S. Army Ranger, what's he still doing in a CAP Cadet Uniform?

CAPR 35-3
3. Causes To Terminate Cadet Membership:
a. Automatic Loss of Membership:

(3) Joining the active duty Armed Forces. The term "active duty Armed Forces" does not include members in the National Guard or Reserves who are not on extended active duty.

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: BlackKnight on January 09, 2008, 02:52:31 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on January 08, 2008, 08:32:52 PM
... This guy was telling us he was a REAL U.S. Army ranger. he said he was in 3rd Batt. That was his justification for blouseing his boots. You guys are taking this wayyy out of porportion. He was perpertrating himself as a REAL ARMY Ranger and its as simple as that

This just gets better and better.  If he was a REAL U.S. Army Ranger, what's he still doing in a CAP Cadet Uniform?

CAPR 35-3
3. Causes To Terminate Cadet Membership:
a. Automatic Loss of Membership:

(3) Joining the active duty Armed Forces. The term "active duty Armed Forces" does not include members in the National Guard or Reserves who are not on extended active duty.

What is he wearing that says he's a cadet?  He's wearing a gold BAR, not a gold or silver pip.  That was part of the original discussion "why is he wearing pin-on rank instead of sew-on".
Serving since 1987.

Maj Ballard

Is this the same guy I saw at Pass in Review wearing blank gray epaulets?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Capt Ballard on January 09, 2008, 03:01:09 PM
Is this the same guy I saw at Pass in Review wearing blank gray epaulets?

If so, according to FlyGuy he would have been in blues with his pants bloused over his boots.
Serving since 1987.

Maj Ballard

Oh. I assumed that was at the banquet or something. I didn't see anyone with bloused blues on Saturday.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Capt Ballard on January 09, 2008, 03:07:52 PM
Oh. I assumed that was at the banquet or something. I didn't see anyone with bloused blues on Saturday.

Could have been, I don't know for sure.  I tried to make it to graduation/pass in review, but I just came off a night of work and couldn't bring myself to wake up.  Would have been a safety hazard on the road anyway.
Serving since 1987.

BillB

With one person having so many apparent uniform violations why didn't the Encampment Command line do something to correct the violations. How can the Senior staff members be an example to cadets if their uniforms are not according to the regulations?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Maj Ballard

Quote from: BillB on January 09, 2008, 03:17:34 PM
With one person having so many apparent uniform violations why didn't the Encampment Command line do something to correct the violations. How can the Senior staff members be an example to cadets if their uniforms are not according to the regulations?

*snicker* Do you really have to ask that, Bill?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Stonewall

I see this a lot in CAP, younger senior members working with cadets and often not setting the right example.  The 2d Lt in question looks fairly young.  Even if he just got out of the army after 4 years, he could be as young as 21.  Although it's something very difficult to control and often times we don't even have an option, but I've always felt that younger senior members should not work directly with cadets or at least without other "adult supervision".  It takes a while to mature and to truly grasp the regs sometimes.  Even if they understand the regs, a younger senior may not realize that they're there for a reason and blow'em off.

Hey, I was a young <21 senior member and former cadet officer.  I was always under direct supervision for a few years until I learned enough to do the right thing, especially with cadets.  Even with some top notch seniors looking over my shoulder, I still managed to make some dumb mistakes and make a fool of myself around cadets.  Important thing is I learned my lessons.  Hopefully this young [hooah] lieutanant does the same.
Serving since 1987.

LittleIronPilot

Come on now...even my newbie self knows that answer to that. From what I can tell by many on this forum, the MISSION is all that matters, uniforms, discipline, rank...NONE of it matters so long as we "try" to do the mission.  ::)

mikeylikey

^ Right On!  it is as much the violators fault as it is those that let him get away with it!
What's up monkeys?

BlackKnight

Quote from: Stonewall on January 09, 2008, 02:53:54 PM
What is he wearing that says he's a cadet?  He's wearing a gold BAR, not a gold or silver pip.  That was part of the original discussion "why is he wearing pin-on rank instead of sew-on".

Stonewall, you're absolutely right and I humbly stand corrected.  Flyguy wrote "2nd Lt" but I was thinking "Cadet 2nd Lt" the whole time.  I've seen new Cadet 2nd Lts pin metal rank on their BDUs and claim they didn't know any better, or didn't have anyone available to sew for them.   It's a common error because cadets do wear metal grade insignia on their BDUs until they become cadet officers. Then they have to switch to the cloth insignia.  CAP senior members start out with cloth insignia so the error is far less common.  We're starting to see it creep in more often now that seniors wear grade insignia on their BDU caps. It's just all too convenient to pin that metal grade on the BDU cap instead of sewing it.

Sorry for the thread drift-  We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

How in the world did my thread about the SER encampment turn into a "Senior Member wears the incorrect rank" Thread? That wasnt the purpose of this thread.

BillB

Real simple, this is NOT the thread you started. The one you started is "Just returned from the SER Encampment"
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyguy06

Sorry. Either way, it was not a thread about uniforms

BillB

It's really not about uniforms, it's about one senior wearing incorrect or unearned insignia and uniform at an encampment where seniors are supposed to be role models. I'd like to see your comments on the encampment, you should see the emails I've gotten already
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyguy06

DC

My C/XO was a flight sgt, what's this I hear about the Encampment having an ES emphasis? I went to SER 05-06 and I had one ES class on shelter building, other than that it was more military orientation, lots of classes from AD and reserve personnel from the AF, Army and Marines, the tour of the 1st FS, etc. It seems to me that ES training is better accomplished at unit training and SAREXs than Encampment...

BlackKnight

The SER Encampment Op Orders requested that cadets get GES and bring their CAPF-101's because there would be ES training during the encampment.  I took that seriously and got all our cadets who were attending ready for training.  GES, all prerequisites done and commander approvals to begin training for for GTM3, UDF, and FLM. They arrived with SQTRs in hand.

Upon their return I asked how the ES training went.  They said they got to play with an L-Per for a little while but that was about it. Nothing was signed off. 

I concur with your opinion that ES training is best achieved at dedicated ES activities. However, basic GTM3, UDF, and FLM training can be easily accomplished at an encampment if you plan and schedule it in advance and have qualified instructors. I just don't like jumping through all those ES admin hoops in anticipation of training that apparently never occured.  We also didn't get any CPFT results.  The cadets apparently did P/T every day but no formal records were kept. (Or if they did keep records they didn't send them home.)  In my wing, encampment P/T records are normally sent back to the home squadrons so that we can record their CPFT scores.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

Stonewall

Quote from: BlackKnight on January 15, 2008, 05:46:44 AM
Upon their return I asked how the ES training went.  They said they got to play with an L-Per for a little while but that was about it. Nothing was signed off. 

I concur with your opinion that ES training is best achieved at dedicated ES activities. However, basic GTM3, UDF, and FLM training can be easily accomplished at an encampment if you plan and schedule it in advance and have qualified instructors.

I've been to a couple encampments where there was a big push for ES training or at least it was advertised as such.  Truth is, unless it's a 100% ES activity like NESA, you just can't handle training 100 people who are at different levels.  You'd have to take the newbies into one group, the GES'ers into another, GTMs, and so on.  The only thing I can see being relevant and worth while at an encampment as far as ES is concerned is an overview type briefing on CAP's emergency services mission.  To some that could be boring, but I know some folks that can turn a shoe lace  tying class into the best class you've ever had.

As for the CPFT scores/records you mentioned, that's something else I think should be officially documented and attached to their encampment certificate.  Why waste 5 or 6 days worth of good PT time when you can actually benefit the cadet at their home squadron.
Serving since 1987.

BillB

Documenting PT at an encampment would be an administration nightmare. With between 150 and 300 cadets (depending on what Wing/Region encampment you're considering) doing PT daily, that's an awful lot of paperwork for the admin section. Add to this on a mile run the personnel keeping time don't know names of cadets at the finish line, so record keeping would be spotty at best.
Granted the SER WE Encampment "advertised " ES training, which in reality didn't happen, but that seems to be a matter of poor planning. 50-16 outlines required training for an encampment, but there is time above the listed requirements for several ES classes at various levels.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BillB on January 15, 2008, 02:35:25 PM
Documenting PT at an encampment would be an administration nightmare. With between 150 and 300 cadets (depending on what Wing/Region encampment you're considering) doing PT daily, that's an awful lot of paperwork for the admin section. Add to this on a mile run the personnel keeping time don't know names of cadets at the finish line, so record keeping would be spotty at best.

Gonna hafta agree with Col. Breeze... they woulda sent me home from the encampment in a straitjacket on a padded ambulance straight to the looney bin if I hadta track all that stuff!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

dwb

My first encampment was an ES encampment.  I think it was doable because most people who attend encampment for the first time haven't been in CAP very long, and thus probably don't have a lot of ES training under their belts.

We left encampment with a 101 card and an ROP card.  That was back when 101 cards were yellow, and CAPM 50-16 directed how an encampment could be conducted.

I don't think it's feasible nowadays unless your encampment is pretty long, since the encampment curriculum was overhauled in 2003.  To do the required curriculum and train for ES ratings is probably too much to do well.

Re: CPFT -- in NY, we conduct the CPFT during the encampment, recording scores and all.  It takes a well orchestrated effort, but it can be done.  We average around 120 in-flight cadets (that's the limit of our facility -- I know our encampment would be bigger if it could be).

Stonewall

Quote from: BillB on January 15, 2008, 02:35:25 PM

It can and will vary between encampments, mostly due to size/numbers.

At my first encampment we did the "PT Test" which of course was a mile run.  The Tac Officers were responsible for tracking and recording their flight, filled out the time on a single sheet of paper that had the cadet's name, achievement and squadron listed; signed it and turned it in to admin.  When certificats were printed up, they paperclipped it to the certificate to send home with the cadet. 

I really can't see it being that huge of a task.  Later on as a senior, we did it at our encampments.  Again, TACO's were the main force in recording.
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^ There is no reason not to have a PT test and send scores home!  Every Cadet Activity should incorporate a PT test either at the beginning or at the end.  Physical Fitness is not supposed to stop because you go to Encampment, or CLS. 

Most likely those wings that don't incorporate the test, just have lazy people running it, or are the "touchy-feely" type that do not want to put "pressure" on a cadet while away from home. 

I always thought that Cadets should have to prove they can pass their PT test if they want to attend any National Activity, even IACE!  How simple would it be to put a section on the 31 that says "SQD CC, did this cadet pass a current PT test, and when?"  I would not accept anything older than 1.5 to 2 months on the PT requirement.

Guess I am "too military".  Here comes the bashing........... :-*
What's up monkeys?

dwb

Well, with your argumentative language, it's no wonder you're expecting a bashing!  :P

I would attribute it to institutional inertia rather than malice.  It is not deemed worth the effort to conduct, score, record, and distribute the CPFT test scores during encampment (or CLS, or whatever).

In fact, it's not really difficult to do, it's just getting out of either the 1. we've always done it this way, or 2. it's too hard mentality.

BlackKnight

Get a laptop, load SIMS on it, import the cadet data from CAPWATCH, set their grade (since it isn't part of the CAPWATCH data), assign cadets to flights, and then crank out the master CPFT score sheets.  That can be done before the encampment, takes about 30 minutes. The TAC officers and Cadet Staff record the CPFT results in the field on the master score sheets. Bring the score sheets back to admin and enter the data, all on one page.  Would take about 90 minutes for a decent typist to enter data for 100 cadets. Less if you have several admin cadets using networked computers sharing the same SIMS data file.

The NY Wing has an encampment management program that may have an even better CPFT module than SIMS (which is primarily designed for squadron use).
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP