Cadets as Aircrew on Actual

Started by SJFedor, June 17, 2007, 03:09:40 AM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Eclipse on June 17, 2007, 05:44:29 PM
I'll take that...

So would you read that the respective unit CC has to be aware and approve any time a cadet flies? (or at least someone in the direct chain?).

Vs. any random senior saying "let's go", even in an ES situation?

Yes.

"A commander is responsible for everything his unit does or fails to do."
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: RiverAux on June 17, 2007, 06:46:19 PM
No, he was saying that outside of a mission transport situation, you need to be an o-ride pilot to fly a cade anywhere. 

Correct.

Anytime a cadet flies anywhere for CAP, the PIC must be O-flight qualified.  The only exception is a mission transport pilot can transport cadets to and from a mission.

CASH172

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 18, 2007, 01:02:37 AM
Correct.

Anytime a cadet flies anywhere for CAP, the PIC must be O-flight qualified.  The only exception is a mission transport pilot can transport cadets to and from a mission.

What about if a cadet is on the aircrew.

ZigZag911

Quote from: CASH172 on June 18, 2007, 01:14:15 AM

That requires a SAR/DR Mission Pilot (of course the cadet could be the Mission Pilot!)

CASH172

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 18, 2007, 04:08:29 AM
Quote from: CASH172 on June 18, 2007, 01:14:15 AM

That requires a SAR/DR Mission Pilot (of course the cadet could be the Mission Pilot!)

Hence a loophole in the whole Transport Pilot for transporting and O-flight pilot for flying cadets anywhere else.  If a cadet is on the aircrew they don't need a O-flight pilot.  Also if the cadet is the pilot what do you do then.  Plus if a cadet is soloing in a plane that is also another loophole. 

SarDragon

You are making things way too complicated.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

No, he was saying that outside of a mission transport situation, you need to be an o-ride pilot to fly a cade anywhere. 

Correct.

Okay....I sort of understand that.....except....why would you be flying a cadet around except in a transport mission or a O-flight? 

And does this include cadets over 18?  Because aren't they excluded from O-rides?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

IceNine

just as a for instance to the original question 2 Volunteer mag's ago there was a story about, either a cadet piloting or an entire cadet crew on an actual...  Anyway, I can't find the story on the really well organized searchable CAP News site ::)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 18, 2007, 06:12:39 AM
just as a for instance to the original question 2 Volunteer mag's ago there was a story about, either a cadet piloting or an entire cadet crew on an actual...  Anyway, I can't find the story on the really well organized searchable CAP News site ::)

http://www.cap.gov/documents/CAP_Volunteer_MarApr_2007_lores.pdf

or

http://www.cap.gov/documents/CAP_Volunteer_MarApr_2007_hires.pdf
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: wacapgh on June 17, 2007, 03:29:04 PM
"No Cadets as Aircrew on AF assigned missions" was in effect at least up until the mid 1980's.

IIRC, that was in effect to the mid-'90's too. I seem to remember that from the last time I was in.

At the time, cadets were allowed to drive vehicles in a "transport" sense, they could drive the vehicle from one location to another, but were not permitted to carry passengers. I think that  changed, but I don't know when it did, or if it actually did. Personally, I don't see a problem with it for the over 18 crowd. Not sure what to think of the under 18, but that decision's above my paygrade.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 18, 2007, 12:02:35 PM
"No Cadets as Aircrew on AF assigned missions" was in effect at least up until the mid 1980's.

IIRC, that was in effect to the mid-'90's too. I seem to remember that from the last time I was in.

At the time, cadets were allowed to drive vehicles in a "transport" sense, they could drive the vehicle from one location to another, but were not permitted to carry passengers. I think that  changed, but I don't know when it did, or if it actually did. Personally, I don't see a problem with it for the over 18 crowd. Not sure what to think of the under 18, but that decision's above my paygrade.
Cadets and FO-FO to SFO- can only transport vehicles, no passengers..  What reg, not sure.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 18, 2007, 03:56:53 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 18, 2007, 12:02:35 PM

Cadets and FO-FO to SFO- can only transport vehicles, no passengers..  What reg, not sure.

I remembered it that way, but wasn't completely certain if it had changed or not. Good thing I'm not in a position to dispatch vehicles!

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: lordmonar on June 18, 2007, 05:02:45 AM

Correct.

Okay....I sort of understand that.....except....why would you be flying a cadet around except in a transport mission or a O-flight? 

And does this include cadets over 18?  Because aren't they excluded from O-rides?

Well, you might be flying the cadet(s) to an activity in another city, such as a CAC meeting or a board.  If you do, the PIC has to be O-flight qual.  If it is a mission you are flying them to, the PIC must by Transport Pilot qual.  A Transport pilot is a form 5 qualified pilot with more than 50 hours XC logged.  IIRC, an O-flight pilot has no specific XC requirement, but must have either 200 or 250 total PIC hours.

Both of these guys have requirements beyond the basic private pilot standards.  I think that is the purpose of the regulation.

Mustang

Quote from: PHall on June 17, 2007, 04:34:01 AM
There is a cadet in PR Wing who has a find on his first mission as a Mission Pilot Standard.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't a "Mission Pilot Standard", but rather a "SAR/DR Mission Pilot".  All that "standard" this and "standard" that is just CAWG silliness.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

SarDragon

Quote from: Mustang on June 21, 2007, 02:27:48 PM
Quote from: PHall on June 17, 2007, 04:34:01 AM
There is a cadet in PR Wing who has a find on his first mission as a Mission Pilot Standard.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't a "Mission Pilot Standard", but rather a "SAR/DR Mission Pilot".  All that "standard" this and "standard" that is just CAWG silliness.

I used to hear that when it was actual terminology bavk in the 70s, in NJ and ME, so I don't think it's just a CAWG thing, although they may dragging it out longer than other places.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARPilotNY

Why shouldn't qualified cadet be observers.  Their eyes are sharper than most of our seniors, they could take time off from school which seems to be an issue with many of our seniors.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

SarDragon

Quote from: SARPilotNY on June 30, 2007, 09:42:21 PM
Why shouldn't qualified cadet be observers.  Their eyes are sharper than most of our seniors, they could take time off from school which seems to be an issue with many of our seniors.

They can be, if they're 18 or older.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret