Large disconnect between Aircrew task guide and SQTRs

Started by Mustang, June 21, 2007, 01:47:17 PM

Mustang

So I'm color-coding the table of contents in my copy of the Aircrew & Flightline Task Guide in preparation for conducting some Scanner training, referencing the current SQTRs for guidance, and I'm noticing a huge disconnect between the SQTRs and the task guide--and in many casese, common sense.

For instance, task O-2007, Locate and silence an ELT on the ground, is listed under Advanced Training on the SAR/DR Mission Pilot SQTR, is not listed at all on the Mission Observer SQTR, yet the first sentence of the task says "You are a Mission Observer trainee and must locate and silence an ELT on the ground."

There are several tasks in the same condition.

Then there are tasks which are simply not appropriate for the particular role, such as O-2002, Demonstrate operation of the aircraft radios, which is listed as a Mission Observer task but is, IMHO correctly part of the pilot's job.  The Observer handles all mission communications and therefore the CAP radio, the pilot handles all aircraft operation-related communications (ATC, etc) and therefore the aircraft AM radio.   

I realize there's a big push on the part of some folks to advance this concept of the Observer as the "mission commander", but so far, CAP has not stated what this means or what the "mission commander's" responsibilities are.   The one thing a Mission Observer is NOT is a co-pilot, even if they hold a pilot certificate.  Aligning tasks that are principally related to the safe operation of the aircraft are the pilot's responsibility, not the observer's, so it makes no sense that an observer would need to know how to use in-flight services like Flight Watch, or how to make a pilot report, as is required of task O-2010. 

So how do we go about getting this fixed?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: Mustang on June 21, 2007, 01:47:17 PM
Then there are tasks which are simply not appropriate for the particular role, such as O-2002, Demonstrate operation of the aircraft radios, which is listed as a Mission Observer task but is, IMHO correctly part of the pilot's job.  The Observer handles all mission communications and therefore the CAP radio, the pilot handles all aircraft operation-related communications (ATC, etc) and therefore the aircraft AM radio. 

How, exactly, would you have the MO communicate without operating the CAP radios?

I realize there's a big push on the part of some folks to advance this concept of the Observer as the "mission commander", but so far, CAP has not stated what this means or what the "mission commander's" responsibilities are.   

This is not a "push" this is the tole of the MO.  The fact that for years pilots couldn't / wouldn't do their jobs and leave the other aircrew to do theirs, notwithstanding.

Pilot - flies the aircraft, ultimately in charge of the airframe, and anything FAA related.

Observer - Mission commander - determines search area, participates in navigation planning to maximize efficiency, directs pilot as to when mission objectives are complete.  Keeps official log of mission, operates radios with regards to CAP comm traffic.

Scanner - take photographs, searches left side of aircraft (not the pilot).

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2007, 01:58:45 PM

How, exactly, would you have the MO communicate without operating the CAP radios? 

Read it again, Bob.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 21, 2007, 01:58:45 PMObserver - Mission commander - determines search area, participates in navigation planning to maximize efficiency, directs pilot as to when mission objectives are complete.  Keeps official log of mission, operates radios with regards to CAP comm traffic.

All well and good,  but:

• the search area is determined by the planning section, not the aircrew.
  • How is a non-pilot going to "maximize efficiency" in navigation planning?
  • Keeping the sortie log is the Scanner's job, which is why the Scanner SQTR includes task P-0101, Keep a log.
As to your statement, "This not a 'push' this is the tole [sic] of the MO," if this were true, why is it you can't point to a single functional checklist or definitive delineation of responsibilities between the MP and the MO?  All the MART says is that the MP may delegate certain tasks if the MO is "highly experienced"...whatever that means.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

RiverAux

One of the biggest jobs of the Mission Observer is handling the CAP radio and coordinating with mission base and ground teams.  Sort of have to know how to use the aircraft radios to do that.  MOs are also sometimes used to handle comm with ATC, but it isn't typical. 

SarDragon

I just finished up my MO training (again), and one of the things I did was operate the airband AM radio. I made calls to ground control, and helped manage the frequencies that were set in. All of this was done with the pilot's direction/knowledge, but I was the one doing the "operating". I also used the CAP FM radio as necessary.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret