Sporty's Foundation

Started by Pylon, May 16, 2007, 12:52:15 PM

Pylon

Looks recently in March 2007, Sporty's opened the Sporty's Foundation to promote aviation amongst youth.   They have an already lengthy list of organizations they give to in order to support this mission, including EAA Young Eagles, Boy Scout Aviation Exploring, and others... but CAP is notably absent from this list.

http://www.sportysfoundation.org/?page=programs

So who needs to do the lobbying to tap this resource?  This is a perfect opportunity for Civil Air Patrol's orientation flight program to get additional funding, or to provide scholarships to aspiring young CAP cadets working under CAP CFIs for their private ticket, etc.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

Wow....If memory serves me correctly, the airport (sporty's airport) actually has or had a CAP unit on it.  Let me dig, anyone from Ohio Wing know for sure?
What's up monkeys?

FARRIER

Just an idea, dual chartering as a Boy Scouts of America Aviation Exploring Post. If we couldn't get on the list, this would cadets another avenue.

The composite squadron I was in as a cadet (mid 80s) dual chartered. It wasn't all that bad.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Robert Hartigan

Sporty's Pilot Shop
Clermont County/Sporty's Airport
Batavia, Ohio 45103
KI69 is the airport identifer
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

SarDragon

CLERMONT COUNTY COMPOSITE SQDN
Meeting Address: CLERMONT COUNTY AIRPORT - HAWK BLDG
4184 TAYLOR RD
BATAVIA, OH 45103
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

^  So who dropped the ball in Ohio Wing?
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 17, 2007, 01:50:08 PM

Wing?  I was thinking more like this should be a National-level deal.  After all, Sporty's Foundation isn't limiting their foundation's philanthropy to just Ohio, right? 

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on May 17, 2007, 02:46:08 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 17, 2007, 01:50:08 PM

Wing?  I was thinking more like this should be a National-level deal.  After all, Sporty's Foundation isn't limiting their foundation's philanthropy to just Ohio, right? 

True! 
What's up monkeys?

smj58501

Maybe it was just an oversight on their part.... one that could be corrected with a tactful phone call to Sporty's asking the innocent question of "Gee, this looks like a great program. What would it take to get CAP included?"
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Pylon

Quote from: smj58501 on May 17, 2007, 05:47:28 PM
Maybe it was just an oversight on their part.... one that could be corrected with a tactful phone call to Sporty's asking the innocent question of "Gee, this looks like a great program. What would it take to get CAP included?"

That's what I'm hoping for, too.  Who would be the person at NHQ who makes those calls?  That new Director of Development?

smj58501

Quote from: Pylon on May 17, 2007, 06:03:06 PM
Quote from: smj58501 on May 17, 2007, 05:47:28 PM

That's what I'm hoping for, too.  Who would be the person at NHQ who makes those calls?  That new Director of Development?

I imagine anyone could do the initial inquiry and gather facts. If something worth acting on came to light, then the call to NHQ could be made... first to find who shoud work the issue, then to give that individual the info on a platter (hopefully)
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

RiverAux

I have a very hard time imagining that Sporty's "forgot" about CAP.  We're just a little too prominent in the aviation community for a company that makes its living selling stuff to pilots to make that mistake.  Now, it is possible that they may not know the details of how CAP works and that our local units are often in desperate need of money and therefore they made a decision not to include CAP.  Or, that they actually did approach CAP NHQ and either someone there dropped the ball or made a decision not to participate. 

smj58501

Is someone checking in with Sporty's? Please reply to this post if you are. If not, I will be happy to contact them and find out what the deal is (maybe I could even qualify for an entry into their aircraft sweepstakes at the same time).

Before I do that though, I wanted to ensure no one else has moved out on the issue. I will wait through the weekend before I do anything. If no one posts that they are taking action, I will contact Sporty's on Monday.

Thx
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

smj58501

I checked into this. The representative I spoke to said their board would be willing to consider any proposals sent to them. The fact that they came from CAP does not matter. What I gleaned from all that.... they are benefiting organizations who take the initiative to ask as long as their board feels it is a good use for the funding.

It isn't a guarantee, but at the same time it could be an opportunity so long as your proposal is sound.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP