Alaskan Wing Men

Started by Shotgun, April 11, 2011, 01:58:14 PM

Shotgun

Anyone catch a show called Alaskan Wing Men?
I was channel surfing last night and ran across this show. (I think it was on Nat Geo.)

I got pretty excited when I saw a CAP 182 appear on the screen. The story arc was about a 17 year old cadet who was getting ready to make her long cross-country as part of her flight training.

The show didn't really mention CAP or highlight our organization, but the cadet and her CAP instructor (which just happened to be father) were in a relatively close approximation of a uniform and the plane was prominently shown.

I'm not sure if this is going to be a regular series or not, but it is good to get another aviation show on the air. It's not nearly as good as Ice Pilots or Flying Wild Alaska; but hey . . . It's got airplanes in it!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Man Of Action on April 11, 2011, 01:58:14 PM
Anyone catch a show called Alaskan Wing Men?
I was channel surfing last night and ran across this show. (I think it was on Nat Geo.)

I got pretty excited when I saw a CAP 182 appear on the screen. The story arc was about a 17 year old cadet who was getting ready to make her long cross-country as part of her flight training.

The show didn't really mention CAP or highlight our organization, but the cadet and her CAP instructor (which just happened to be father) were in a relatively close approximation of a uniform and the plane was prominently shown.

I'm not sure if this is going to be a regular series or not, but it is good to get another aviation show on the air. It's not nearly as good as Ice Pilots or Flying Wild Alaska; but hey . . . It's got airplanes in it!

I caught it last night too - there was another topic here a few weeks ago on it. Based on the CAPFlight callsign I wonder if the footage was a few years old before they put the show together.

jeders

Before someone else says it, search is your friend. You might want to look here.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Thrashed

Do you really think people should search before every post?  I won't. Who cares how many threads there are on any subject?  I'm not wasting my time searching every topic before I post a thread.

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on April 11, 2011, 03:01:43 PM
Do you really think people should search before every post? 

Yes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Thrash on April 11, 2011, 03:01:43 PM
Do you really think people should search before every post?  I won't. Who cares how many threads there are on any subject?  I'm not wasting my time searching every topic before I post a thread.

I used to hold that axiom, until I realized that these are hundreds of posts on different things in over a dozen subjects.  Its not easy to be looking up these things, selecting the KEY WORDS necessary to find a given thread.  The idea is to share the information in a timely manner in a matter that socilitcs opinions or presents facts.

Clearly...if a duplicate post is made and it bothers some one...1) the Moderators should merge them, 2) one should have the option to delete their own duplicate thread and 3) one should not make it if it is clearly visiable.

If a subject is on page 70 of a sections posts and one wants to discuss that subject anew, how many of you would be incredulous for bringing up an old topic?  A no win situation.

Funny how so many seem to think that topics are so clear as to be findable.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jeders

However, when the posts are made within a few short months of each other and share the same topic name, it's not that much to expect that someone maybe search a little first. Especially since the OP wanted to know if anyone on CAPTalk had seen a show. A quick search would show that, yes people had seen it. Just sayin'.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

Good grief... It's not like Pylon & Whatevah pay by the topic or something.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 11, 2011, 08:01:23 PM

No, it's called good nettiquette and continuity of thought.

Why start 5 topics when 1 is sufficient?  Also, why start a new one if the question is answered in the old one?
This also goes to those who resurrect a dead thread just to say "agree", etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on April 11, 2011, 09:00:06 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 11, 2011, 08:01:23 PM

No, it's called good nettiquette and continuity of thought.

Why start 5 topics when 1 is sufficient?  Also, why start a new one if the question is answered in the old one?
This also goes to those who resurrect a dead thread just to say "agree", etc.

The only issue with that is that this is set up as a "discussion forum" and not a "Knowledgebase," and thus, one cannot see all the existing posts on the subjects throughout nor the links.  The search function here, though better than most, is too primitive to expect to get reasonable search results that would hit it on the head.

It is within the realm of reason that, if some activity affected CAPTALKERs across the nation (like an announcement that CAP was, let's say, being given some new duty) five people might posts the same subject at the same time.  What then?

Also, some of these topics "drop off" the main page onto pages 3 and 4, not reasonable person can be expected to know what exists there.

Let people discuss things...if it breaks convention and matters to people, let the moderators "pretty it up."

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 12, 2011, 03:35:25 AM
It is within the realm of reason that, if some activity affected CAPTALKERs across the nation (like an announcement that CAP was, let's say, being given some new duty) five people might posts the same subject at the same time.  What then?

It happens all the time, and then the mods merge the topics.

Its bad enough that a lot of posters here engage in literally the same discussions with the same people on other military forums, what is the point of
encouraging, or not discouraging, people from creating that here as well?

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

So...about those Wing Men...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

xxpur3xstrxx

8) i was suprized when i saw this too. on the not saying any thing about the orginazation  but the cessna 182 was a cap aircraft and was cap advertising. and im pretty sure that seeing that 17 flying the aircraft did recrute some new members.people at night stop and think to thereselfs wow that could be me.