CAP pilot qualifications to fly a cadet to a CAP event?

Started by simon, August 05, 2010, 09:36:24 PM

simon

I am a TMP and will be flying a CAP aircraft to a CAP event on Sunday, namely, squadron glider training. The mission symbol for the flight is C8: "Air transport to/from squadron or higher official conferences or meetings".

Along with another senior, am I qualified to take a cadet as a passenger?

CAPR 60-1 2-3(d) states "Only pilots that are qualified as...Transport Mission Pilots (during Supervised Missions) may carry CAP cadets as passengers".

"Supervised Missions" seems to be the language that needs clarification. I was thinking that sounded like "Missions with an IC". In looking for interpretation and examples, I learnt that cadets have flown to wing conferences with a TMP and those flights did not have an IC.

Can anybody offer some guidance here? I am a little fuzzy on this and I don't see much more written about it in the CAP regs.

a2capt

Supervised - dispatched, flight released - for the purpose of transporting to a function. Basically, a TMP can fly a CAP aircraft and passengers to/from an event/base/whatever.  You just can't do anything else. The temptation of the L-Per or Becker .. must be just that. Bait, to tempt you into getting an additional rating.

You'll get the flight release and list the passengers like any other. The flight to/from the wing conference is dispatched like a mission, it's on the board or someones status sheet, you'll checkin/give ops normal reports somehow, or whatever pre-arranged method .. but thats it. Your mission is to bring the passengers to the destination.

simon

Actually since my original post I already got a reply from another SQ member:

"Supervised Mission – A CAP Flight Activity that is under the direct control of a current and qualified incident commander (IC) IAW CAPR 60-3 or counterdrug mission director (CMD) IAW CAPR 60-6."

My question was in relation to taking a cadet to an event. Since I don't have an IC in direct control of the flight, I can't take him, which is unfortunate.

Eclipse

If you are a Form-5 pilot, you can fly any other CAP member anywhere you want, the only thing you need is a plane, gas money, and a release.

Mission ratings, IC's, etc., only involved when flying actual or training missions or transport.

Also, you do not need another senior in the aircraft.  If you personal risk tolerance and the cadet's parent say it is OK, you're fine.

(The above is true absent any local wing policies.)

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Can you explain CAPR 60-1, Section 2-3 (d)?

"Only pilots that are qualified as CAP Instructors, Cadet/AFROTC/AFJROTC Orientation Pilots, or SAR/DR or Transport Mission Pilots (during Supervised Missions) may carry CAP cadets as passengers or crew members. At no time may a pilot who is a CAP Cadet carry another CAP Cadet as a passenger or crew member."

That doesn't sound like any pilot can fly any member anywhere they want.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

The source for Simon's info is CAPR 60-1, Para 1-3(t).
Quote from: simon on August 05, 2010, 11:40:48 PM
"Supervised Mission – A CAP Flight Activity that is under the direct control of a current and qualified incident commander (IC) IAW CAPR 60-3 or counterdrug mission director (CMD) IAW CAPR 60-6."
You are correct that you can't fly a cadet to the event.  If you were also a cadet orientation pilot and a TMP, you would be ok, but not as a TMP.  Probably a cadet protection decision as a TMP only needs 100 hrs PIC and the other ratings would require at least 200 hrs PIC. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

lordmonar

Quote from: cap235629 on August 06, 2010, 02:20:21 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 06, 2010, 01:13:37 AM
You're correct, carry on...

wait, did Eclipse just admit he was wrong?

CLICK ME
I've got a shelter that can hold 100 people comfortabley for 10 years!   Bring your gold and other valuable!  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006