What's in a typical G1000 Emergency Ride?

Started by simon, July 14, 2010, 09:51:58 PM

simon

I have one tomorrow morning. I've never been in a sim  before of any kind (Did my IFR ticket all in a round dial plane). I am familiar with the G1000 as have been flying a private one around for a while, including in IMC. I have done the ground school, the VFR FITS scenario flight and the IFR scenario flight, but I don't have much of an idea how to prepare for the emergency scenario ride.

FW

Bone up on your glass "partial panel" work.  Otherwise, it shouldn't be much different than a steam gauge aircraft.  Be prepared for a total "black out" too.  There's a reason for back up instruments... ;D

SJFedor

Know how the systems work, which instrument read outs will fail with what system failures, know the redundant systems and how to use them (especially your radios).

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

FastAttack

Mustang

In my CAPF5 instrument demonstration, it included flying a nonprecision approach with the PFD failed--meaning flying off the MFD without the autopilot. I found it more challenging than it sounds. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

simon

Yeah I did some of that in the instrument ride.

Getting a G1000 Form 5 is SO much work! Ground school, a minimum of three scenario flights, plus any additional training, plus the check ride.

And all this after I'd already done about the same amount of training and been checked out to fly in a private G1000 182.

Expensive, time consuming and takes forever to get someone's time.

simon

Well I did it and it was a challenge, especially adjusting to the big scan when flying an approach with a simultaneous AHRS and ADC failure.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

blackrain

I just took my second FITS ride last night. I learn something new every time I fly.

Question for you IFR types. When transitioning from the ILS at minimums do you normally land with 10 degrees of flaps or do you use more?

At the standard 90kt approach on the ILS at 200 ft getting slowed down and avoiding floating down can sometimes be an issue.

I also noticed I have a better feel for the plane if I've hand flown the the whole approach as opposed to using the autopilot and then taking over at the end.

I'm always glad to hear about other pilots techniques
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

blackrain

Can anyone verify if use of RNAV Approach vertical guidance on CAP G1000 A/C is permitted? I.E. are we restricted to LNAV MDA? Obviously there is a substantial difference in minimums.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

peter rabbit

QuoteCan anyone verify if use of RNAV Approach vertical guidance on CAP G1000 A/C is permitted? I.E. are we restricted to LNAV MDA? Obviously there is a substantial difference in minimums.

My understanding and the training I received says if its approved for the plane and there aren't RAIM issues, then you can fly it. I've practiced LPV approaches and flown some though not to minimums. Why do you question if it is approved?

blackrain

Quote from: peter rabbit on March 11, 2011, 04:31:21 PM
QuoteCan anyone verify if use of RNAV Approach vertical guidance on CAP G1000 A/C is permitted? I.E. are we restricted to LNAV MDA? Obviously there is a substantial difference in minimums.

My understanding and the training I received says if its approved for the plane and there aren't RAIM issues, then you can fly it. I've practiced LPV approaches and flown some though not to minimums. Why do you question if it is approved?

My instructor seems to think our A/C are not approved. Yes I did a RAIM check before take-off. I guess I'll run it up for clarification.

Thanks

JeffDG

Quote from: blackrain on March 11, 2011, 05:03:33 PM
My instructor seems to think our A/C are not approved. Yes I did a RAIM check before take-off. I guess I'll run it up for clarification.

Thanks
Well, in order to do either of those you need a WAAS capable GPS.  I don't think they'll even present a LNAV+RNAV or LPV approach unless they have the capability to fly it.

peter rabbit

JeffDG makes a good point - the only time I have practiced an LPV approach is when it is displayed on the G1000.

Mustang

Quote from: blackrain on March 11, 2011, 03:34:48 PM
Can anyone verify if use of RNAV Approach vertical guidance on CAP G1000 A/C is permitted? I.E. are we restricted to LNAV MDA? Obviously there is a substantial difference in minimums.

To my knowledge, CAP has no restrictions on any IFR procedure. So long as the aircraft is certified and legal for it (including current transponder, altimeter checks and GPS database), and (for operations in actual IMC) the pilot is an appropriately-rated and qualified CAP Instrument Pilot.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "