Cadets manipulating the controls. Non CFI PIC. FAA Kosher?

Started by simon, June 28, 2010, 05:50:00 AM

simon

If a CAP pilot who is not a CFI allows a cadet to manipulate the controls, has the pilot violated any FAA regulations?

From another thread: "They should also be putting the cadets on the controls after they demonstrate the manuvers and letting them get the feel for it"

I have read a few PPRUNE posts about it. Even if the FAA regs. are non specific, my reason for asking was actually to do with liability and insurance.

Hawk200

I'm not a pilot, so this is opinion: I don't think so.

I've taken the controls in a number of aircraft over the years. It's never been a problem.

I don't think someone can log the flight time if they don't have a ticket, or the PIC is not a CFI. Basic familiarization is just that. It's not training for a rating.

simon

I answered my own question.

The FAA does not 'disallow' a non pilot from manipulating the controls. Surprising but true.

What it does require is a qualified PIC.

The practical side is that if as PIC, you let someone else cause a problem, then you will be on the hook. There have been a handful of cases where the PIC was clearly not "In Command" i.e. paying attention, and that cost them.

But for all intensive purposes, having a PIC's non pilot buddy take the controls as the PIC refolds a chart is not breaking any regs. What the flight school that the PIC rented the plane from thinks about that is another matter.

SJFedor

Read the FAR's sometime, they're a great cure for insomia.

Because the pilot in command is the final authority for the operation of that aircraft (FAR 91.3), and responsible for the conduct of that flight, the FAA doesn't really have anything else to say about it. The PIC is responsible for whatever happens, whether it's him or someone with their hands on the yoke.

Scrolling through applicable parts of the FARs, I can't recall any section addressing it at all, other that for the purpose of logging time. And since there is a current and qualified pilot at the controls, there's really little risk at letting a non-rated person operate the aircraft, which is probably why the FAA doesn't care.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Flying Pig

As far as the FAA is concerned, I can let my wife fly if I want to without her being the pilot as long as safety is not jeapardized.  CAP Policy on O-Rides cadets are allowed to handle the controls.

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flying Pig

JoeTomasone

Quote from: davidsinn on June 28, 2010, 11:15:06 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on June 28, 2010, 10:00:31 PM
CAP Policy on O-Rides cadets are allowed supposed to handle the controls.

FTFY  ;D

I remember doing so on my first O-ride, lo all those years ago. 

Capt Heinrich, O-Flight Pilot: "Good morning, Cadet!"

Me: "Good morning, sir!"

Pilot: "Have you ever flown before?"

Me: "No, sir."

Pilot: "Me either!  This will be fun!"

Me: <gurgle>