"Corporate Uniform" Gone!!

Started by Pingree1492, November 07, 2009, 11:04:33 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 08, 2009, 07:48:35 PM
Grey looks awful and will always look AWFUL no matter what the shade of grey.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 08, 2009, 07:48:35 PMDark Blue Shirt/Blue Slacks/ Blue Epaulets.  It cannot be confused with an Air Force Uniform.

That's a tough one.  I think I know what uniform you're referring to.  It looks a bit like the Navy/CG (and Auxiliary) "Winter Dress Blue" uniform:

http://www.cgadivision26.org/flotillas/lexington/members_deck/uniforms/images/CGAUX-winter-dress-blue.gif

Interestingly, the local Army/Navy shop has some of those old AF blue shirts in mint condition.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on December 09, 2009, 06:43:54 PM
I'd be very surprised if we hear anything more from the AF side about the CSU than we've already heard.

Which, after the adjustments mandated right at implementation, (about 3 years ago) has been nothing further to date.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: FARRIER on December 06, 2009, 09:14:58 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 05, 2009, 06:56:00 PM
Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 05, 2009, 05:12:36 PM
It is not that that they are gray, they are the wrong color gray.  A lot of people seem to be favoring a switch to a dark gray. (Think Charcoal Gray)  It would still tie into the grade sleeves, but do away with the "washed out" look of the lighter grays.

I see what you're getting at (I think).  A lot of the problem with the current grey trousers (other than lack of consistency) is that (understandably) some members buy the cheapest trousers they can find.  The fabric is not good, the stitching weak, and after a few spins through the wash they look rather bad.

However, rather than charcoal grey (though I wouldn't say no to that) I would personally prefer a grey-blue, maybe close to what the Post Office wears (in different fabric) or something like what the airline pilots wear (readily available, sharp-looking, and not at all close to the AF):

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/p_pants.htm

and pullover sweaters (not black, too close to the Army, but the dark navy might work):

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/flight_jsw.htm#sweaters

I would like us to look like aviators.  That doesn't necessarily mean military aviators.  I've seen some airline uniforms that are very sharp-looking.  We already wear aviator shirts as part of the "alternative" uniform, so I see no reason not to go with aviator trousers as well (and for those choosing to wear the blazer, it would be a close match).

Psst...I'd also suggest the blue Van Heusen aviator shirt here...but that might be a bit close, even though it's not the same as the AF... :P

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/p_shirt1.htm

I can second going to a real aviator uniform for the corporate uniform.
I'd add a third on that one. And for all the people that want a hat, airline pilots usually have one. Instead of trying for a police or pseudo-military look uniform, go for the one that relates to, and is easily identified with, aviation overall.

RogueLeader

I thought thta many didn't want anything that made us look like Airline Pilots.

I'm just saying. . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 09, 2009, 08:10:25 PM

I'm just saying. . . .
Wasn't me. As for the appearance, why not? The blazer combo doesn't really associate with anything. It's a blazer with some insignia, none of which really screams "Aviation".

The Air Force variants show an association with aviation, why shouldn't the corporate combo as well?

jimmydeanno

I'm just saying. . . .

Yeah, I hate when people confuse our organization for one that is aviation related...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 09, 2009, 09:25:26 PM

I'm just saying. . . .

Yeah, I hate when people confuse our organization for one that is aviation related...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(We need a laughing smiley)

Pumbaa

I think there might be a problem with dark shirts.. it'll show dandruff...

MSgt Van

Майор Хаткевич

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Pumbaa

Dang I forgot that the powdered donuts will REALLY show up on the dark shirt!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2009, 10:49:05 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 08, 2009, 09:59:09 PM
I agree that if we just HAVE to have a civilian uniform (which I would never wear)

So you'd quit CAP before wearing a corporate variant?

These are the sorts of statements that perpetuate the status of the corporates as "second class".

Yup.  And people wonder why I have posted vehemently about this very thing on other threads.  If flyguy06, Earhart1971, and others could, they would hang out a sign "Fat & Fuzzies need not apply."
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on December 09, 2009, 07:04:48 PM
Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 08, 2009, 07:48:35 PM
Grey looks awful and will always look AWFUL no matter what the shade of grey.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 08, 2009, 07:48:35 PMDark Blue Shirt/Blue Slacks/ Blue Epaulets.  It cannot be confused with an Air Force Uniform.

That's a tough one.  I think I know what uniform you're referring to.  It looks a bit like the Navy/CG (and Auxiliary) "Winter Dress Blue" uniform:

http://www.cgadivision26.org/flotillas/lexington/members_deck/uniforms/images/CGAUX-winter-dress-blue.gif

Interestingly, the local Army/Navy shop has some of those old AF blue shirts in mint condition.

You guys are referring to the old Shade 1549 Long Sleeve shirt. Very popular uniform combination in cold areas during winter.

Short Field

Until you came in from the outside and started sweating.  I guess it would work fine in a lot of the office environments we have today that tend to always be on the cool side.  Bit of a pain having to always wear a tie with it and you really needed to have it tailored well to look good.  I only owned one but it did look nice.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Earhart1971

Quote from: Short Field on December 10, 2009, 06:01:24 AM
Until you came in from the outside and started sweating.  I guess it would work fine in a lot of the office environments we have today that tend to always be on the cool side.  Bit of a pain having to always wear a tie with it and you really needed to have it tailored well to look good.  I only owned one but it did look nice.
1549 Shade Shirt that is correct. Since its not used by the Air Force, we can find someone to Manufacture the Shirt in Short Sleeve and open Collar. Still would look great.

The Air Force will not be confused.  I am afraid it looks so good, that the Air Force will readapt the Dark Blue Shirt. The Air Force as you know is looking for changes to make in their Uniform. The Airline Pilot and Billy Mitchell did not work for them.

Lt Oliv

Here's a whacky idea....

Why don't we just keep the white aviator shirt and blue pants to replace the whites/grays and maintain modified grooming standards?

Then only the corporate coat will have gone to waste and those who despise the grays will be appeased.

If you are attending a function that would necessitate a coat, then you have to wear the USAF and meet all standards, or wear the blazer uniform.

We don't have to make a new uniform. We don't have to create new uniform elements. We salvage the pants. Everyone wins.

Eclipse

Quote from: Ollie on December 14, 2009, 03:51:42 PM
Here's a whacky idea....

Why don't we just keep the white aviator shirt and blue pants to replace the whites/grays and maintain modified grooming standards?

Then only the corporate coat will have gone to waste and those who despise the grays will be appeased.

If you are attending a function that would necessitate a coat, then you have to wear the USAF and meet all standards, or wear the blazer uniform.

We don't have to make a new uniform. We don't have to create new uniform elements. We salvage the pants. Everyone wins.

This doesn't actually solve anything and perpetuates the separate standards for class of membership - slim and trims get to show off, fat-n-fuzzies get to wear the Hogwarts jacket with the pocket protector.  There's no need to even bother with the additional uniform.

Any fix needs to provide the membership, as a whole, with clothing that fulfills the mission, and makes all of us, at least as a class (senior / cadet) look...wait for it..."uniform".  Anything that separates the respective membership classes, for any reason, just reinvents what we already have and we might as well just leave things as-is.

"That Others May Zoom"

ZigZag911

Quote from: Eclipse on December 14, 2009, 03:55:37 PM

Any fix needs to provide the membership, as a whole, with clothing that fulfills the mission, and makes all of us, at least as a class (senior / cadet) look...wait for it..."uniform".  Anything that separates the respective membership classes, for any reason, just reinvents what we already have and we might as well just leave things as-is.

I've been saying this for years: keep cadets in AF style uniforms (at least as long as USAF keeps giving them away!), develop something else for seniors...ALL seniors.