"Corporate Uniform" Gone!!

Started by Pingree1492, November 07, 2009, 11:04:33 PM

High Speed Low Drag

It is not that that they are gray, they are the wrong color gray.  A lot of people seem to be favoring a switch to a dark gray. (Think Charcoal Gray)  It would still tie into the grade sleeves, but do away with the "washed out" look of the lighter grays.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

AlphaSigOU

I'd betcha when they originally spec'd out the corporate grays they either didn't know or deliberately made the specification for the trousers (except for the material) vague so that members could buy the uniform off the shelf at a big-box-store. The unintended consequence is that the gray variations vary widely.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 05, 2009, 05:12:36 PM
It is not that that they are gray, they are the wrong color gray.  A lot of people seem to be favoring a switch to a dark gray. (Think Charcoal Gray)  It would still tie into the grade sleeves, but do away with the "washed out" look of the lighter grays.

I see what you're getting at (I think).  A lot of the problem with the current grey trousers (other than lack of consistency) is that (understandably) some members buy the cheapest trousers they can find.  The fabric is not good, the stitching weak, and after a few spins through the wash they look rather bad.

However, rather than charcoal grey (though I wouldn't say no to that) I would personally prefer a grey-blue, maybe close to what the Post Office wears (in different fabric) or something like what the airline pilots wear (readily available, sharp-looking, and not at all close to the AF):

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/p_pants.htm

and pullover sweaters (not black, too close to the Army, but the dark navy might work):

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/flight_jsw.htm#sweaters

I would like us to look like aviators.  That doesn't necessarily mean military aviators.  I've seen some airline uniforms that are very sharp-looking.  We already wear aviator shirts as part of the "alternative" uniform, so I see no reason not to go with aviator trousers as well (and for those choosing to wear the blazer, it would be a close match).

Psst...I'd also suggest the blue Van Heusen aviator shirt here...but that might be a bit close, even though it's not the same as the AF... :P

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/p_shirt1.htm
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FARRIER

Quote from: CyBorg on December 05, 2009, 06:56:00 PM
Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 05, 2009, 05:12:36 PM

I see what you're getting at (I think).  A lot of the problem with the current grey trousers (other than lack of consistency) is that (understandably) some members buy the cheapest trousers they can find.  The fabric is not good, the stitching weak, and after a few spins through the wash they look rather bad.

However, rather than charcoal grey (though I wouldn't say no to that) I would personally prefer a grey-blue, maybe close to what the Post Office wears (in different fabric) or something like what the airline pilots wear (readily available, sharp-looking, and not at all close to the AF):

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/p_pants.htm

and pullover sweaters (not black, too close to the Army, but the dark navy might work):

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/flight_jsw.htm#sweaters

I would like us to look like aviators.  That doesn't necessarily mean military aviators.  I've seen some airline uniforms that are very sharp-looking.  We already wear aviator shirts as part of the "alternative" uniform, so I see no reason not to go with aviator trousers as well (and for those choosing to wear the blazer, it would be a close match).

Psst...I'd also suggest the blue Van Heusen aviator shirt here...but that might be a bit close, even though it's not the same as the AF... :P

http://www.airlineuniforms.net/p_shirt1.htm

I can second going to a real aviator uniform for the corporate uniform.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Earhart1971

Grey looks awful and will always look AWFUL no matter what the shade of grey.

I still think we can fight to keep the Blue/white, if we can adjust our regs so, morbid obese cannot wear the uniform.

However if the Air Force is so inclined about "Confusion" in ID of Uniforms and who they are.

There was a DARK BLUE SHIRT with Epaulets that was used by the Air Force in the late 60s and Early 70s. It looked sharp. It was used by my Squadron Drill Team at Kessler AFB, circa 1975. I wore it at work in Personnel at Tinker AFB in 1975.  Its still around, but not an Air Force Uniform.

Dark Blue cannot be mistaken for an Air Force Uniform, even in Low Light.

Dark Blue Shirt/Blue Slacks/ Blue Epaulets.  It cannot be confused with an Air Force Uniform.

But still, that is not the problem. We need upper weight restrictions, and you just cannot wear any uniform if you are 30% above Air Force Weight.

Polo shirts and slacks for those that cannot fit the upper weight restrictions.

Eclipse

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 08, 2009, 07:48:35 PM
But still, that is not the problem. We need upper weight restrictions, and you just cannot wear any uniform if you are 30% above Air Force Weight.

Why?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2009, 07:55:56 PM

Why?

What problem does this solve?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

Grey looks awful and will always look AWFUL no matter what the shade of grey.

I still think we can fight to keep the Blue/white, if we can adjust our regs so, morbid obese cannot wear the uniform.

However if the Air Force is so inclined about "Confusion" in ID of Uniforms and who they are.

There was a DARK BLUE SHIRT with Epaulets that was used by the Air Force in the late 60s and Early 70s. It looked sharp. It was used by my Squadron Drill Team at Kessler AFB, circa 1975. I wore it at work in Personnel at Tinker AFB in 1975.  Its still around, but not an Air Force Uniform.

Dark Blue cannot be mistaken for an Air Force Uniform, even in Low Light.

Dark Blue Shirt/Blue Slacks/ Blue Epaulets.  It cannot be confused with an Air Force Uniform.

Polo shirts and slacks for those that cannot fit the upper weight restrictions.

Um...Dark blue uniforms can't be confused with Air force uniforms? Have you seen the dark blue trench coat that the air force issues? Their pretty dark blue, also ever seen an AF dress blues jacket when it's wet from rain? It's pretty dark blue. I think this is one of the problems, cap members just know it will never ever be confused for any uniform ::). We need to get away from that form of thinking.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

FlyingTerp

flyguy06

I agree that if we just HAVE to have a civilian uniform (which I would never wear) then it should be a corporate pilot style uniform

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 08, 2009, 09:59:09 PM
I agree that if we just HAVE to have a civilian uniform (which I would never wear)

So you'd quit CAP before wearing a corporate variant?

These are the sorts of statements that perpetuate the status of the corporates as "second class".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2009, 10:49:05 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 08, 2009, 09:59:09 PM
I agree that if we just HAVE to have a civilian uniform (which I would never wear)

So you'd quit CAP before wearing a corporate variant?

These are the sorts of statements that perpetuate the status of the corporates as "second class".
+1
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Earhart1971

Quote from: davidsinn on December 08, 2009, 07:59:31 PM

Why?

Since we don't know why the change is required, we don't know. The Air Force and NHQ are silent on the reason other than "confusion".

Earhart1971

[quote/]

Um...Dark blue uniforms can't be confused with Air force uniforms? Have you seen the dark blue trench coat that the air force issues? Their pretty dark blue, also ever seen an AF dress blues jacket when it's wet from rain? It's pretty dark blue. I think this is one of the problems, cap members just know it will never ever be confused for any uniform ::). We need to get away from that form of thinking.
[/quote]

Therefore, another valid point. Anyone, can be confused on the Uniforms. Any Combination or color will confuse.  Therefore, we could be at the mercy of the confused for a long time.

Eclipse

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 09, 2009, 03:26:24 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 08, 2009, 07:59:31 PM

Why?

Since we don't know why the change is required, we don't know. The Air Force and NHQ are silent on the reason other than "confusion".

That wasn't the question, reread.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

And what about us bearded folks? How would you have us not fit in this time?  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

billford1

Quote from: SarDragon on December 09, 2009, 03:56:39 AM

And what about us bearded folks? How would you have us not fit in this time?  :o
There needs be to nobody excluded from wearing whatever the uniform is this time.

Eclipse

Quote from: billford1 on December 09, 2009, 04:12:42 AM

There needs to nobody excluded from wearing whatever the uniform is this time.

Yep, and we all know there's only two ways to get there.  Choose one and press here...

"That Others May Zoom"

Earhart1971

Bearded Folks?  How much confusion can the Air Force Handle?  I have a beard, on and off. Shaved it because I work with cadets. That was optional on my part.

If you looked like George Clooney in Uniform do you think the Air Force would complain? Then again the Air Force is not talking. I would like to get to the bottom of this. Before we go into another combination.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 09, 2009, 04:52:16 AM

Bearded Folks?  How much confusion can the Air Force Handle?  I have a beard, on and off. Shaved it because I work with cadets. That was optional on my part.

If you looked like George Clooney in Uniform do you think the Air Force would complain? Then again the Air Force is not talking. I would like to get to the bottom of this. Before we go into another combination.

I had a beard and long hair before joining CAP, but I shaved them off voluntarily.  However, not everyone's going to be willing to do that.

I'd be very surprised if we hear anything more from the AF side about the CSU than we've already heard.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011