NHQ Uniform Committee

Started by LtCol White, November 14, 2007, 06:15:02 PM

BlueLakes1

I wish I still had my old blue cadink nametag....
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Redfire11 on January 14, 2008, 10:20:38 PM

I still got my old black one from my cadet days!
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 15, 2008, 12:16:48 AM

They had nametags then?

;D

>:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 15, 2008, 01:24:38 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 15, 2008, 12:16:48 AM

They had nametags then?

;D

>:D

There were enough people to warrant last names? ???
;D
[/drift]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Redbird Leader

I got lost somewhere: What is VSAF?
Commander, Redbird Cadet Sqdn (MO-801)
Captain, USAF (Ret)
Prior, never ex, cadet (Mitchell unnumbered Jul 71)

DNall

Quote from: Redbird Leader on January 15, 2008, 02:38:12 AM
I got lost somewhere: What is VSAF?
VSAF = Volunteer Service to Air Force. It's a new AF initiative under an older DoD program to utilize volunteers in support of domestic needs. It matches volunteers with opportunities in the AF. It's targeted at military retirees & private civilians. Run through CAP - ie volunteers become members of CAP w/ our existing protections, aux status, & infrastructure. There's a thread about it in the lobby section, and a couple older threads from back in the spring where some of us were talking about making some of this kind of thing happen. Right now, in the pilot stages, it's just targeted at family & IT support, and just being tested in San Antonio & Wright-Pat, but eventually it'll spread out geographically & in terms of what kind of augmentation opportunities will be available.

jeders

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but, can we drop rank on the leather nametag for the flight suits, or make it optional. Since we already wear rank on our shoulders, I don't think we necessarily need it in both places. Plus it means that you can conceivably go your entire CAP career with only one nametag instead having to buy a new one each time you promote. Also, by making rank optional on the nametag, those that aren't going to promote any time soon won't have to go out and get a new one. I see it as a cost saving measure all around.

This one I know has been mentioned, but what are the committees thoughts on the embroidered nametag for flight suits?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

DKruse

I came into this thread very late, since I've been inactive on this forum for a few weeks.  I've caught a little bit here and there skimming through this topic about what people want changed.  While I'm not in favor of every proposal, there's nothing too radical being proposed, so I won't get bent out of shape over it.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the 50 previous pages, but I would be in favor of a moratorium on uniform changes after these have been presented to NHQ.

Put something in a regulation that says uniform modifications and removals will only be considered every 3 to 5 years.  New uniforms could be added anytime.

If you want to reduce cost to members, this would be the a key factor.

Happy 2008 to all!
Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jeders

Quote from: DKruse on January 17, 2008, 07:13:46 PM
I came into this thread very late, since I've been inactive on this forum for a few weeks.  I've caught a little bit here and there skimming through this topic about what people want changed.  While I'm not in favor of every proposal, there's nothing too radical being proposed, so I won't get bent out of shape over it.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the 50 previous pages, but I would be in favor of a moratorium on uniform changes after these have been presented to NHQ.

Put something in a regulation that says uniform modifications and removals will only be considered every 3 to 5 years.  New uniforms could be added anytime.

If you want to reduce cost to members, this would be the a key factor.

Happy 2008 to all!

This has been mentioned. I think the consensus was something like no uniform changes for at least 5 years not including the roll-out of the ABU. Also an exception was made for things where the AF might tell us to change something like when we removed the wing patches from blues.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

tjaxe

Is the Corporate uniform -- with bow tie or something -- authorized as a CAP alternative to the Mess Dress?  If not, can we make it one instead of, or in addition to the Blazer combo?  Maybe it can be "dressed up" with bow ties (male and floppy or whatever) and cummerbunds.  My only request would be to please allow women to wear slacks and low quarters.  This would give women who are not comfortable in dresses or high heels a military-type uniform option for mess dress.   Thanks!!  If this is all already authorized... never mind (said sheepishly).   :)

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

mikeylikey

Here is a suggestion.  Eliminate everything related to the uniform that is worn by Hawk MTN and Florida Rangers, except for the School patch itself.  AND mandate the proper placement of that patch on the uniform, and make it firm.  As in Wing Commanders can not change the location of patches on the BDU's.

What's up monkeys?

arajca

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 18, 2008, 04:12:06 PM
Here is a suggestion.  Eliminate everything related to the uniform that is worn by Hawk MTN and Florida Rangers, except for the School patch itself.  AND mandate the proper placement of that patch on the uniform, and make it firm.  As in Wing Commanders can not change the location of patches on the BDU's.

Wait a minute! Are you suggesting that Hawk, NBB, ad nauseum, should be treated just like any other ncsa?! Do you refuse to admit to the in their minds inherent superiority of these activities? How Dare You!

[insert tongue in cheek smiley here]  ;D

mikeylikey

;D

Some NCSA's still don't have a patch being produced.  CLA comes to mind?!?

I am all for patches, as long as the rules are followed to it's wearing.  I would also accept the removal of ALL patches from the BDU's and follow suit on the ABU's when they roll out!
What's up monkeys?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: tjaxe on January 18, 2008, 02:46:46 PM
Is the Corporate uniform -- with bow tie or something -- authorized as a CAP alternative to the Mess Dress?  If not, can we make it one instead of, or in addition to the Blazer combo?  Maybe it can be "dressed up" with bow ties (male and floppy or whatever) and cummerbunds.  My only request would be to please allow women to wear slacks and low quarters.  This would give women who are not comfortable in dresses or high heels a military-type uniform option for mess dress.   Thanks!!  If this is all already authorized... never mind (said sheepishly).   :)

Blue corporate service dress can be worn with a black bow tie or tab as an equivalent to mess dress.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JayT

Quote from: tjaxe on January 18, 2008, 02:46:46 PM
  My only request would be to please allow women to wear slacks and low quarters.  This would give women who are not comfortable in dresses or high heels a military-type uniform option for mess dress. 

If the military doesn't allow that, why would they let us wear it?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

BillB

Because the Military has no say in what's worn with the corporate uniform
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on January 18, 2008, 09:59:50 PM

...or so thought He Who Shall Remain Nameless.

CAP-USAF has plenty of say - which is why we don't have the metal grade on the flight cap, it says CAP on the collar, there's a big silver band on the wheel cap, and the nametag has two lines.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: BillB on January 18, 2008, 09:59:50 PM

And is that really a good idea? It was one thing when the corporate-style "uniform" was normal civilian attire supplemented with a nametag or similiar. It's completely different when it looks like a uniform & that uniform is similiar enough to the AF to be representantive of them (not to mention being worn by people in a community level org associated with & representing the AF on the street level). Is it not appropriate to grant deference & request input from the approval authority even though it isn't required by law. Isn't that really an appropriate step on our part to minimize any past/present/future rift with our teammates?

Quote from: DKruse on January 17, 2008, 07:13:46 PM
...I would be in favor of a moratorium on uniform changes...

I originally supported a moritorium as well, but it's not the best way to go. It's a knee jerk reaction to current events that puts us in a box down the road. Plus, it comes with a bunch of exceptions (ABUs, new service coat, unless AF says this, or that happens, etc) that just make it seem hallow & hypocritical.

The better answer came together from a bunch of dif suggestions earlier in the thread. What it is, is a complete change in the way we consider & adopt uniform changes. There's a couple parts to it...

First, the AF reg is directive guidance. That means if a change is made there then NHQ/CAP Uniform Board can administratively change 39-1 w/o need of a vote by NB/NEC or change letters.

Second, the process for considering items would take about three years unless emergency, AF directed, or safety concerns accelerated it. That process would be transparent & open. It would involve the proposal going online, that would have to include projected financial impacts, then a wide spread wear test, results posted online for extended member comments, we would seek the comments of AF rank-in-file as well as leadership (AU & AETC approval authorities). In other words, nothing can be sprung on anyone without significant notice.

And third, the only way those proposals can then move to a vote is to be offered by the uniform board with a recommendation for approval or disapproval, and that uniform board would only meet something like every four years.

That would be the same process, including AF involvement, for both AF-style & corporate-style uniform items. So basically, you get your moritorium by default, and we get a MUCH better long-term system in place so you don't get screwed after that moritorium is over.

RiverAux

QuoteCAP-USAF has plenty of say - which is why we don't have the metal grade on the flight cap, it says CAP on the collar, there's a big silver band on the wheel cap, and the nametag has two lines.
No, they only have a say when our corporate uniforms get too Air Forcey for them.  If we wanted the corporate uniform to be pink with orange epalets and rank insignia made from baby seals, they couldn't say a thing about it.