Main Menu

New SER Vice-Commander?

Started by Galahad, August 02, 2007, 07:50:54 PM

Galahad

Supposedly the vacancy at Southeast Region Vice-Commander has been filled

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewsoftheForce/message/5250

but nothing has been posted on the SER website: http://www.sercap.us/ser02/

Based on the biography provided in the article the new CV looks like he's bringing a lot of training and experience to the table.  Anyone have any additional info or confirmation?

dwb

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=3338&year=2007&month=7

SOUTHEAST REGION -- Col. Joseph J. Martin has been named vice commander of U.S. Civil Air Patrol's Southeast Region after serving as Florida Wing commander since 2004.

Galahad

Thanks.   I didn't think to look for confirmation at cap.gov instead of the SER website.   

Major Carrales

It's nice to see another Spaatzan moving up the ranks.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 02, 2007, 08:36:28 PM
It's nice to see another Spaatzan moving up the ranks.

He and I were cadinks at University Cadet Squadron (08117). He later transferred to Miami Springs Optimist Cadet Squadron (08318) while I went to North Miami Cadet Squadron (08125). Ran into him at the SWR conference last year in Dallas - hadn't seen him in about 25 years. His dad, Lt Col Joseph Martin, Sr. did a brief stint as interim FL WG Commander. (And they're both brother Masons as well.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BlackKnight

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 02, 2007, 09:16:58 PM
... His dad, Lt Col Joseph Martin, Sr. did a brief stint as interim FL WG Commander. (And they're both brother Masons as well.)

[Tongue-in-cheek mode firmly on] 

Masons?  It's another conspiracy!  They're going to take over and infuse CAP with strange ideas about God, duty, honor, and liberty.  They probably have non-mainstream ideas like those other well-known Mason radicals Jefferson and Washington.  If you look using special glasses you'll find the CAP propeller seal has the all-seeing eye at it's center!   Our UDF L-Pers are being modified to add a new frequency (177.6 MHz) labeled "Grail Quest".

"And the secret lies with Maxwell..."

[Tongue-in-cheek mode off]    ;)

Seriously, sounds like we have a fine new addition to SER command staff.

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BlackKnight on August 02, 2007, 10:11:45 PM[Tongue-in-cheek mode firmly on] 

Masons?  It's another conspiracy!  They're going to take over and infuse CAP with strange ideas about God, duty, honor, and liberty.  They probably have non-mainstream ideas like those other well-known Mason radicals Jefferson and Washington.  [Tongue-in-cheek mode off]    ;)

Hehehe... all youse heathens beware...!  ;D

Only one slight correction is in order: Jefferson was very much a freethinker but he was never a Freemason. Washington was a past master of Alexandria Lodge #22 (now Alexandria-Washington Lodge #22) which meets at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia. Practically every Masonic lodge in the U.S. has a portrait of George Washington in its lodge room.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

floridacyclist

I could threaten to give out the secret rituals, but they're all over the internet anyway LOL
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

floridacyclist

No, just someone who used to date someone whose religious rituals were almost identical to the Masons. Amazing what you can learn once you start doing research. It's OK...I won't tell.

On a serious note, I've sat around a campfire before with Col Martin..he seems alright. His cousin showed up at our meeting the other night looking for info for when his kids are old enough.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

BlackKnight

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 03, 2007, 02:49:38 AM
Only one slight correction is in order: Jefferson was very much a freethinker but he was never a Freemason.

THANKS!!  It never seems to fail that if I don't research and verify commonly held "facts" before posting or emailing I'll later discover I have something incorrect.   I was going to edit my original post to read "George Washington and Paul Revere", but since there have been subsequent posts about Jefferson I'll leave it as is.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Skyray

LtCol Martin and I are members of the same lodge.  We studiously avoid the subject of CAP.  He raised a good kid.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Skyray on August 10, 2007, 08:03:36 PM
LtCol Martin and I are members of the same lodge.  We studiously avoid the subject of CAP.  He raised a good kid.

And if you run into Right Worshipful Brother Martin (IIRC he was a District Deputy Grand Master) tell him his Masonic brother from Texas says hello and is now a Worthy Patron in OES.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SAR-EMT1

I have a retired O-6 as a DDGM.

Bro. Calen Edgar
Jr. Steward
Arcola Lodge 366
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Skyray

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 11, 2007, 01:07:43 AM
Quote from: Skyray on August 10, 2007, 08:03:36 PM

And if you run into Right Worshipful Brother Martin (IIRC he was a District Deputy Grand Master) tell him his Masonic brother from Texas says hello and is now a Worthy Patron in OES.

Your information is accurate.  I think his term as District Deputy was just over.  Our Lodge has extensive fellowship, and I frequently share a table with him at the local watering hole. As I said, we studiously avoid discussing CAP.  He was a good DDGM, and an excellent Wing Commander.  My personal opinion is that he should be a Colonel, because he was Wing Commander as long as another short term Wing Commander we had who kept his eagles.  But it is not in Joe's nature to whine, and whining is apparently the way to hang on to your rank.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Skyray

I wonder how much influence Colonel Martin has with Colonel Rushing.  It might be nice to get LtCol Martin appointed Florida Wing Commander again so he can walk away with a bird.  It is not like it would be without precedent.  Colonel Rushing are you listening?
Doug Johnson - Miami