CPR / First Aid Qual Patch?

Started by SemperVigHooah, March 19, 2019, 07:32:13 PM

SemperVigHooah

Hello, just wondering where to place my newly-earned CPR /1stAid Patch. It wasn't specified in CAP 39-1, to my knowledge, and I want to be able to wear it when I please without being out regs. Please, help? Thanks.

- C/TSgt 'Crumbcake' Lahaie

GZCP31

You cannot. If it is not in the regs then it is not allowed. Sorry.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

Holding Pattern

The one thing that you can do with patches that aren't authorized for uniform wear is sew them onto backpacks/duffel bags. To my knowledge, there are no regs covering patches on duffel bags/24 hour packs.

Eclipse

Quote from: GZCP31 on March 19, 2019, 08:02:55 PM

CAPM 39-1, Page 110:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf
"10.7.23. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Patch. May be worn by individuals who have
satisfactorily completed CPR training, as awarded by a CPR-training agency whose training standards
meet the US Department of Transportation "National Guidelines for First Aid in Occupational Settings".
Patches will only be worn while the member is current. Patch will be appropriate in size and appearance
for the uniform being worn and that authorized by the agency that completed the training. "

"That Others May Zoom"

GZCP31

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2019, 08:24:18 PM

CAPM 39-1, Page 110:
"10.7.23. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Patch. May be worn by individuals who have
satisfactorily completed CPR training, as awarded by a CPR-training agency whose training standards
meet the US Department of Transportation “National Guidelines for First Aid in Occupational Settings”.
Patches will only be worn while the member is current. Patch will be appropriate in size and appearance
for the uniform being worn and that authorized by the agency that completed the training. "

I guess I should have specified. You are correct for BDU and BBDU, But for ABU it is restricted.
Per "UPDATED_ABU_wear_instruction_24_Oct"

"Left Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-4, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches, Honor Guard Shield (attachment 8-4) and Ranger tabs, may be sewn
to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and
pocket of ABU shirt. One Service Badge shown in Attachment A6-1, may be worn in this position with the
exception of the National Staff Badge which is worn on the right pocket.
Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, the Model Rocketry Patch, may be sewn to the shirt
centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket
of ABU shirt. The Unit/Organizational Patch and the National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 are also
authorized to be worn in this position."

No mention of Paragraph 10.
I wish they would release the new Uniform regulations so this would be clarified (maybe), instead of having to look at several documents and trying to figure it out.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

N6RVT

Quote from: GZCP31 on March 19, 2019, 08:39:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2019, 08:24:18 PM

CAPM 39-1, Page 110:
meet the US Department of Transportation "National Guidelines for First Aid in Occupational Settings".

I guess I should have specified. You are correct for BDU and BBDU, But for ABU it is restricted.
Per "UPDATED_ABU_wear_instruction_24_Oct"

"Left Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-4, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches, Honor Guard Shield (attachment 8-4) and Ranger tabs, may be sewn
to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and
pocket of ABU shirt. One Service Badge shown in Attachment A6-1, may be worn in this position with the
exception of the National Staff Badge which is worn on the right pocket.
Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the
exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, the Model Rocketry Patch, may be sewn to the shirt
centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket
of ABU shirt. The Unit/Organizational Patch and the National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 are also
authorized to be worn in this position."

No mention of Paragraph 10.
I wish they would release the new Uniform regulations so this would be clarified (maybe), instead of having to look at several documents and trying to figure it out.

So after all that - left pocket, with your squadron patch on the right.

audiododd

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on March 19, 2019, 11:13:31 PM

Nope.  The CPR patch is not listed in CAPM 39-1 Attachment 8-1 through 8-4, so it cannot be worn on the ABUs. 

This thread also reminds me that I let my certification lapse.  I need to find a local CPR/AED course.
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

N6RVT

Quote from: audiododd on March 23, 2019, 09:13:14 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on March 19, 2019, 11:13:31 PM

Nope.  The CPR patch is not listed in CAPM 39-1 Attachment 8-1 through 8-4, so it cannot be worn on the ABUs. 

This thread also reminds me that I let my certification lapse.  I need to find a local CPR/AED course.

BDU / BBDU.  A lot of stuff doesn't go on ABU's

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPM 39-1"CHAPTER 10 – BADGES AND SPECIALTY INSIGNIA
10.1. Policy. Only those CAP badges and patches described in this chapter will be worn on the CAP
uniform. A quick reference to authorized CAP badges and patches is available at Attachment 4.

10.1.1. Wear will comply with the specific instructions found in the appropriate chapter for the type
of uniform being worn. In general, wear of aviation, chaplain, and Command Insignia Pins on the USAFstyle
uniform is mandatory. Corporate-style uniforms are intended to provide more flexibility in wear,
and the number of badges classified as "mandatory" are very limited to minimize required cost and
complexity for members.

10.1.2. If at any time more than one badge or device is authorized for wear in the same position on
the uniform, the member will select one, to the exclusion of others, for wear in that position.

That said, it looks like they dropped the ball again.

Para 10.7.23. permits the wear of the patch, but none of the attachments, which provide details on appearance and location of wear, make any reference to a CPR patch.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret