Proposing ideas to CAC

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, March 19, 2019, 07:00:53 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I want to send a few ideas up to CAC (hopefully it will eventually get national) about changes that could be made to help raise money for local units and wings for activities and give cadets incentives to strive for excellence at home and in the community. How would I propose those ideas? Would I attend a CAC meeting? Write a proposal? Pass it on verbally to a CAC representative?

Any help is appreciated since I want to help raise money for wing projects and uniform cost assistance.
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Discuss this with your Unit CC and CAC rep.  Assuming they agree with the
idea your unit's rep will then ask for it to be on the agenda of whichever CAC
he is on (Grouyp or Wing).

From a realistic  expectations point of view, your best bet is to suggest this locally and
then see if it actually works.

You are much more likely to be able to have local impact then trying to move a
suggestion nationally.

If it works, you will then have a track record to point to and will likely also have some
attention from higher HQ in your wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on March 19, 2019, 07:00:53 PMWould I attend a CAC meeting?

No.

The whole point have having "Representatives" is that they represent the unit at these meeting.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2019, 07:08:07 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on March 19, 2019, 07:00:53 PMWould I attend a CAC meeting?

No.

The whole point have having "Representatives" is that they represent the unit at these meeting.

I heard that you can sit in on a meeting if you want to propose an idea. (At group CAC only tho)

Is this true or just crap?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Sure, but that doesn't mean necessarily you will have time to present anything.

It's not a village board meeting.

The best person to ask is your unit CAC rep.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

Coming from a CAC Chairman (on a Region Level, as well as a NCAC rep), I'd suggest getting with your Squadron CAC rep, propose the idea and write a proposal. Have your unit rep present it to your WCAC! Since it's fundraising for your wing, it may be best to keep it at the wing level, but you could certainly ask for it to be passed to your Region CAC via your Region Rep to RCAC! Some of the major changes made by the NCAC come from Squadron level! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Eclipse

Also, if you're going to go through the trouble of a written proposal, you
should discuss the idea with your Finance Manager to insure the idea is both
allowed and workable under CAP regs.

There are very specific ways CAP can, and cannot do to raise funds and solicit donations
or property, some which seem logical and even work for other volunteer organizations.

No point in suggesting something that isn't allowed.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Keep in mind that CAC is also not a planning committee. Their job is not to put together the ideas into a project and execute. They're to discuss ideas and present them as a body representative of the subordinate units within the echelon.

CAC is a great avenue for cadets to say "This is what we'd like to see," and then to have the Wing Cadet Programs staff work to appoint a project officer and cadet project officer who can turn that suggestion into reality. It's also an avenue for cadet-related issues (from the mouths of cadets) to be escalated up the chain for greater oversight and to become potential changes to the program.

CAC is not expected to go "Here's how we can raise funds...let's do this." Fundraising may be more appropriate at the squadron, or even group, level. It's tough to have a Wing-wide fundraiser that supports all units, especially since each unit has different financial needs and a different donation base.

Eclipse

^^ Agree 100%, but good luck getting people to accept that the "A" doesn't stand for "Activity".

Most CAC's amount to the Wing Conference Cadet Committee and not much else.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2019, 05:44:08 PM
^^ Agree 100%, but good luck getting people to accept that the "A" doesn't stand for "Activity".

Most CAC's amount to the Wing Conference Cadet Committee and not much else.

^^ agree 100%. I fought this when I was WCAC Vice Chairman!