Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2018, 03:49:03 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: I'm applying to USAFA! Any advice? Wish me luck!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I'm applying to USAFA! Any advice? Wish me luck!  (Read 397 times)
Starbird
Recruit

Unit: NER-NH-056

« on: April 11, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »

Title says it all, really.  I am now officially an applicant for USAFA Class of 2023.  Any advice for a successful application?  At this time, my initial application has been reviewed, I have emailed my ALO, and I have obtained support from a retired USAF colonel, who is planning to write a letter of recommendation for me.  I am also drafting my requests for congressional nomination, which I hope to get in the mail as soon as they are satisfactory.

Anything else I should be doing at this time?  I feel like there must be something I can do to further improve my chances of being appointed.

Wish me luck!  ;D

Very respectfully,

C/2d Lt Starbird
Airplane girl

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »

I'm also applying for the Air Force Academy as well as the Naval Academy for class of 2023! Are you going to summer seminar? I know that going to summer seminar (which I am going to do) can be very useful for the application. Other than that, have you looked at the Service Academy Forums? There is a lot of advice on what to do to improve your application there. Here is the link: https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php

Good luck!
MSG Mac
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: MER-MD-071

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:55:24 AM »

Talk to your Congressman and Senator to let them know you're interested.
Either stop by their offices or send a letter.
There are five academies, including the Merchant Marine Academy-Apply for all of them.
Also apply for the CAP AF Prep school slot. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
Starbird
Recruit

Unit: NER-NH-056

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »

I'm also applying for the Air Force Academy as well as the Naval Academy for class of 2023! Are you going to summer seminar? I know that going to summer seminar (which I am going to do) can be very useful for the application. Other than that, have you looked at the Service Academy Forums? There is a lot of advice on what to do to improve your application there. Here is the link: https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php

Good luck!

Thank you! Good luck to you too, I hope to see you at the academy someday!  I will look at the summer seminar, however, I fear that I may have failed to meet the cut off date for the Class of 2023's summer seminar.  Please correct me if I am wrong, however.

Talk to your Congressman and Senator to let them know you're interested.
Either stop by their offices or send a letter.
There are five academies, including the Merchant Marine Academy-Apply for all of them.
Also apply for the CAP AF Prep school slot. 

Thank you!  I will send letters this afternoon.  Should I send a letter of interest before sending the structured, formal letter requesting a nomination?

Also, about the CAP AF Prep school slot.  I am unsure if I qualify for it, as I am a senior, however, I was unable to apply for the Class of 2022 for various personal and family reasons.  Thus, I will be out of high school (I read somewhere being in HS was a requirement to apply) by the time I apply for the prep spot for 2023, so unless I can apply early, I am not sure if I still qualify. If you know the answer to this, I would be most grateful.

Kind regards,

C/2d Lt Starbird
THRAWN
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »

Don't limit yourself. Don't forget about New London, King's Point, and the Naval and Military Academies. There's also VMI, The Citadel, Norwich...
Strup
"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: I'm applying to USAFA! Any advice? Wish me luck!