Trump proposes 'Space Force' to join other military branches

Started by OldGuy, March 13, 2018, 10:27:14 PM

Eclipse

Off the cuff random remarks aren't policy, they are just that, off the cuff random remarks.

Within the story itself POTUS acknowledges that the media will basically run out the
door and report this as fact.

It isn't even a new idea, let alone his idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPLTC

Keep it in the USAF.
We do not need ONE MORE military bureaucracy competing for already scarce resources.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

CAP_truth

Do I see the beginning of Civil Space Patrol Auxiliary of Star Fleet Command.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Fester

1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

PHall

I believe Paramount Studios has a trademark on "Starfleet". >:D

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on March 15, 2018, 04:23:50 AM
I believe Paramount Studios has a trademark on "Starfleet". >:D

Not quite.  It is complicated. 

Star Trek is divided between CBS and Paramount after 2006.  Although the whole terms have not been made public, generally CBS owns Star Trek TV series, while Paramount owns Star Trek movies.  This comes into play with the creation of the Discovery.  To produce the new series, CBS had to change aspects so that Paramount copyrights were not violated (e.g. movie uniforms, Kelvin timeline, Sybok, etc).  I think it is generally accepted that CBS owns the name Star Trek, but not really quite sure. 

Luis R. Ramos

So what does that mean?

Can CAP or the government use Star Fleet Command? Or should they use Starfleet Command instead?

Or neither???!!

:P
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 15, 2018, 02:07:29 PM
So what does that mean?

Can CAP or the government use Star Fleet Command? Or should they use Starfleet Command instead?

Or neither???!!

:P

Well considering that I do not think you can trademark Star Fleet or Star Fleet Command, being that it is a common word in sci-fi (long before Star Trek).  That would be like trying to trademark Star Command or Space Command.  :)

Brit_in_CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on March 15, 2018, 07:45:55 PM

Been wanting to use that for a while now....!

Ugh, except in that scene, CAPT Picard does not say "Make it so".  Rather, he says "Helm, Warp 1 Engage" to escape the exploding Amargosa star.  Now that I think about it, I do not think that is the scene as that scene is shot from a different angle.  Nevertheless, I do not think he says "Make it so" in the movie except when being mad at Riker.  He says "Make it so.  Just do it!".

But I cannot think of any other scene where that picture fits.  Man I need to re-watch that movie. 

PHall

Captain Pike had a better line when addressing his helmsman.  "Punch It!"