The uniform I like the best

Started by flyguy06, June 11, 2007, 11:09:17 PM

flyguy06

I read all these complaints about this uniform and that uniform. I have a simple statement. If you dontlikeit, then dont wear it.

I only have two types of CAP uniforms that I wear. The blue AF style service uniform and the AF style BDU's. I have a blue shirt/grey slacks combo, but rarely wear it Only if I need to get into a CAP uniform quick or forgot to shave for a ameeting.

Personally I dont like any other uniforms than the ones I mentioned above so I dont wear them. Its as simple as that. I dont wear them, I dont buy them, I dont even think about them.

I think if youwork with cadets you should wear the military style uniforms. if you dont meet the height and weight standard either do what it takes to meet them or wear the blue shirt/grey slacks.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mdickinson

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 11, 2007, 11:09:17 PM
I read all these complaints about this uniform and that unidofrm. I have a simple statement. If you dontlikeit, then dont wear it.

Personally I dont like any other uniforms than the ones I mentioned above so I dont wear them. Its as simple as that. I dont wear them, idont buy them,idont even think about them.

I think if youwork with cadets you should wear the military style uniforms.if you dont [...]

ithink ifyou workwith, cadets youshould beabel to,spell ,capitalize ,usespaces, and punctuate. at leastbe abelto do so at a 6ht grade level, since, those cadets your workin with can.  thatway ucan set a goodexampel forum.

but thats,just, my opinion. if you dontlikeit, then dontwearit.

Seriously: I can't quite believe what I read below. You think that in order to work with cadets, a senior member needs to be at a weight that allows them to wear the AF style uniform? I would have to respectfully disagree.

In my opinion the most important traits in a senior member who works with cadets would be:

1. Sets an outstanding example. Honest, follows through, does what's right.
2. Is very knowledgeable about all aspects the cadet program. Runs the program by the book - no easier, but also no made-up extra hurdles.
3. Treats cadets with the proper mix of respect, courtesy, command authority, and mentor-type support. Can motivate and cajole cadets into exceeding what they think they are capable of.
4. Can read, write, and address a group well - can do all three without glaring errors. Has an education, and can explain to cadets why a good education is so important.
5. Wears a CAP uniform correctly. Any CAP uniform. Not one with the insignia wrong; not one that is threadbare or two sizes too small; just one that is neat, proper, and 100% in accordance with 39-1. Whether it is AF style or "CAP distinctive" is immaterial.

Of course it's nice if CAP personnel are in good physical condition. But great leaders of cadets (and even simply competent ones) need to have the above qualities; they don't need to wear blues or BDUs.

SJFedor

...if you dont meet the height and weight standard either do what it takes...

Height standards? I missed that one...

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SarDragon

I guess since I have a beard that I'm no longer allowed to work with cadets.

Their loss.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Quote from: SJFedor on June 12, 2007, 12:24:38 AM

Think meant the height/weight standard.  Not two standards.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SJFedor

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 12, 2007, 12:29:19 AM

I know, just causing trouble, that's all  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RogueLeader

Quote from: SJFedor on June 12, 2007, 12:30:42 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on June 12, 2007, 12:29:19 AM

I know, just causing trouble, that's all  ;D
Again?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mdickinson

I think if youwork with cadets you should wear the military style uniforms.if you dont meet the height and weight standard either do what it takes to meet them or wear the blue shirt/grey slacks.

First he says: If you work with cadets, you should wear the AF style uniforms.

Then he says: If you can't wear the AF style uniforms, wear the golf shirt uniform.

Not sure what the message is here. Maybe he's trying to get people to not wear the aviator-shirt uniforms?

Pumbaa

Quoteheight and weight standard either do what it takes to meet them or wear the blue shirt/grey slacks.

I am so sick and tired of these uniform bigots...  Give me a break...

OK I do not meet weight, why? Because I have an autoimmune disease that makes it very difficult to exersize, I have trouble even walking stairs at times and I can't bend down.. I give myself 2 injections a week to handle the pain...  I have to eat so very little or I gain weight.  I am not a fat blob and people are actually shocked when I say I don't make the weight. I carry my weight well.

I also choose to have a well trimmed goatee, that is my choice.  So I wear the aviator and the grays.  Personally I say get rid of everything but the grays, how do you like that?

But I am so sick of these AF wannabees, bragging how the only 2 uniforms they will wear are the BDUs and the AF blues.. well la-te-da-da... big freak'n deal.

You wanna look AF then join the AF.  You wanna wear the CAP AF wanna bee uniforms then go right ahead, but cool it with the bigoted remarks about being overweight and 'grooming'...

Yeah me being overweight and having a goatee makes me a poor candidate for working with cadets..

Talk about pushing a button on me...

jimmydeanno

^I like the new screenname :)  I don't really know what else to say other than, thank you for all you do for CAP...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 12, 2007, 01:49:20 AM
^I like the new screenname :)  I don't really know what else to say other than, thank you for all you do for CAP...

I wholeheartedly agree. I myself wear the blue BDUs and greys because I was in a nearly fatal car accident that laid me up for almost 3 years and I have some weight to lose. I would like to think that my skills in leadership and having been a teacher for many years would have to more to do with what I can contribute to the cadets than the fact that I cant "play soldier"and wear the AF style uniform. I would hope that my training in things like EMS, ES, NIMS, etc would be more important to someone in terms of what I have to offer than that fact that I dont wear the "Blues."

And to Lt. Fat and FUZZY---Bravo Zulu for all you do! Keep it up, march to your own drum and let those who think otherwise fall by the wayside as surely they will since they are often the ones who are concerned more about uniforms than our service to CAP, the USAF, the other agencies we serve, our country and our community.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

flyguy06

Quote from: mdickinson on June 12, 2007, 12:00:52 AM
I read all these complaints about this uniform and that unidofrm. I have a simple statement. If you dontlikeit, then dont wear it.

Personally I dont like any other uniforms than the ones I mentioned above so I dont wear them. Its as simple as that. I dont wear them, idont buy them,idont even think about them.

I think if youwork with cadets you should wear the military style uniforms.if you dont [...]

ithink ifyou workwith, cadets youshould beabel to,spell ,capitalize ,usespaces, and punctuate. at leastbe abelto do so at a 6ht grade level, since, those cadets your workin with can.  thatway ucan set a goodexampel forum.

but thats,just, my opinion. if you dontlikeit, then dontwearit.

Seriously: I can't quite believe what I read below. You think that in order to work with cadets, a senior member needs to be at a weight that allows them to wear the AF style uniform? I would have to respectfully disagree.

In my opinion the most important traits in a senior member who works with cadets would be:

1. Sets an outstanding example. Honest, follows through, does what's right.
2. Is very knowledgeable about all aspects the cadet program. Runs the program by the book - no easier, but also no made-up extra hurdles.
3. Treats cadets with the proper mix of respect, courtesy, command authority, and mentor-type support. Can motivate and cajole cadets into exceeding what they think they are capable of.
4. Can read, write, and address a group well - can do all three without glaring errors. Has an education, and can explain to cadets why a good education is so important.
5. Wears a CAP uniform correctly. Any CAP uniform. Not one with the insignia wrong; not one that is threadbare or two sizes too small; just one that is neat, proper, and 100% in accordance with 39-1. Whether it is AF style or "CAP distinctive" is immaterial.

Of course it's nice if CAP personnel are in good physical condition. But great leaders of cadets (and even simply competent ones) need to have the above qualities; they don't need to wear blues or BDUs.

Ok, so lets take your first stance. Set a positive example. That includes wearing the same uniform you expect them to wear. How can you set the example otherwise? Thats just my opinion. And thats the way I do business. I am not going to tell a caet his shoes are not shined if mine arent. I amnot going totell a cadet how to wear his uniform if I cant even get into one myself. I am NOT a Boys Scout leader. I am a military leader. And I can spell. I just type fast. You understood what I was saying.

flyguy06

I have been in CAP since 1984 continuously as a cadet and currently as a Senior Member. You can never question my loyalty. I work in a neighborhood that most of you all would probably never even go into. I give back, I set the example and I am a role model.

I just believe that if you work with cadets then you should look like cadets. Its as simple as that. I dont believe in excuses for not meeting the standards. You can be the nicest person in the world, but you should still meet standards. Leadership is not easy. Nobody said it would be.

Like it or not, the cadet program IS a military program. it is what it is. And as such it has military standards. And if you work with cadets teaching them military standards then I think you should adhere to them yourself.

Of course I expect all the folks that dont to get mad and flame meor whatever.(eventhough I do have a right to my opnion) but if we just smile and coddle them and say "Its ok you dont have to meet the standard" Where does it end. Thats why our country is inthe situation it is now we have relaxed the standrds too much because we dont want to "offend" anubody

shorning

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 12, 2007, 04:01:21 AM
Of course I expect all the folks that dont to get mad and flame meor whatever.(eventhough I do have a right to my opnion) but if we just smile and coddle them and say "Its ok you dont have to meet the standard" Where does it end. Thats why our country is inthe situation it is now we have relaxed the standrds too much because we dont want to "offend" anubody

So intolerance is the answer?  What exactly does that fix?

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06And I can spell. I just type fast. You understood what I was saying.

OK, let me get this straight - you want us to excuse your basically lazy posting style, but we can't be excused because we can't wear AF-style uniforms. Wow, what a nasty double standard.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

I see the word "fat" being thrown around a lot. What exactly are people thinking about when they say the word?

There is a major difference between overweight and obese. I've always considered obese to be at least 100 pounds overweight and probably have health issues due to just not taking care of themselves, and that includes not being neat and clean.

People with medical issues that have problems with weight tend to to still pay attention to their appearance, they're neat and clean. That neat and clean attentiveness still shows a desire to maintain a professional appearance, and personal respect for themselves. That makes a big difference to me. I dont' mind someone that does that.

Of course there are people that are still well within weight standards that don't maintain that same appearance. Would you rather have the person overweight with attention to their appearance, or the person that's a slob and hasn't taken a shower in a week?

Pylon

Do we really need our 700th discussion on uniforms this week?   Can anybody think of something just a shave more productive to talk about?

Seriously - who cares?   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Chaplaindon

I agree with Pylon.

IMHO, these uniform [gripe] threads are pointless and serve only to further divide our membership. Posters assign derogatory names to uniforms they dislike and (directly or indirectly) chide/deride those who choose (or have CAPRs choose for them) to wear an approved uniform another dislikes.

It's silly, unhelpful and in itself, IMHO unprofessional.

To illustrate my point (like a good chaplain), let me offer an informal --fictional-- parable ...

Let's talk about CAP airplanes the same way we talk CAP fashion.

I propose [for the sake of the parable, anyway] that CAP needs to get rid of all its non-USAF-looking airplanes too --because they are non-military LOOKING and thus unprofessional in a military (or quasi-military organization like CAP).

We especially need to get rid of the GA-8's because IMHO it's the most unattractive (ugly) airplane we have. Furthermore, those pilots who CHOOSE to fly it are ipso facto unattractive and have no business in CAP. They set a bad example for our cadets.

In fact, since those ugly CIVILIAN airplanes which (except for the C172, AKA the "T41") look nothing like the USAF's fleet they must be helping to push a wedge between CAP and the USAF.  Purple wing paint --mandated by the air staff as penance-- can only result.

And we only need the C182'/C206's and GA-8's cause those members who don't meet H/W standards can't fit in the 172.

The utility of the aircraft and/or their pilots it unimportant --even in a REDCAP-- how they and their aircraft LOOK is paramount.

WE must get the NEC/NB/BOG to buy CAP some prettier (more MILITARY-looking) airplanes to fly.  We need F-22's and we need them now!

That's nonsense ... RIGHT?

So too --IMHO-- are the "discussion(s)" ad nauseum about uniforms ... how the "TPU" [a moniker I won't use] is nonmilitary/unprofessional, how we're hypocrites if we presume to lead cadets in a non-CAP/USAF uniform and so forth. How, H/W standards should be the hard and fast dividing line between "real CAP members" and wannabees.

The uniform rules are the rules. The uniforms are the uniforms. Get over it.

It's all shallow and unproductive nonsense. We sound like a bunch of prissy debutants making rude (and needlessly judgemental) comments about another girl's ball gown, figure, or poise for their own edification.

Let's be more professional and mature than that.

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

BillB

When CAP pilots who fly the F-22's that CAP is going to get, need to make sure their flight suits look more military. There needs to be a standard flight suit with the leather name patch instead of the various patches worn now.

(amazing how this got back to a uniform thread)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

Hmmm, so we've got a couple of people complaining about uniform topics...well, lets just take a look at where they post the most according to their stats:
Critic1 -- most posted to board -- Uniforms!
Critic2 --- 2nd most posted to board -- Uniforms!

jimmydeanno

I don't think anyone is crticizing the discussions about uniforms, but there is more to them than what is coming out of the discussions.

Since we can all tell who the "critic 1 and 2" are, I think it would be wise to actually look at the comments made during these posts.  They aren't talking about rating members based on their ability to fit in an AF uniform.

The issue that came up was people getting offended by the comments about segregating people according to body shape and telling them that they shouldn't be allowed to work with certain people because of it.

Thank you Chaplain Don for that unique "story," and I completely agree with you. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on June 12, 2007, 01:45:13 PM
Hmmm, so we've got a couple of people complaining about uniform topics...well, lets just take a look at where they post the most according to their stats:
Critic1 -- most posted to board -- Uniforms!
Critic2 --- 2nd most posted to board -- Uniforms!

I'm not saying that, as an organization, there's nothing to discuss about uniforms.  Yeah, I post here a lot too.  Perhaps it's also the little fact that, oh, I don't know... I'm an administrator of the board and the most activity on the board, besides the lobby, is about uniforms.  But it's really an aside.

My point was that we've gone around in circles and circles - hundreds and hundreds of posts on the corporate uniform vs. Air Force uniforms, vs. need to consolidate, vs. new uniform ideas, vs. what uniforms I prefer, vs. what uniforms you prefer, vs. what uniforms we should wear around cadets, vs. what uniforms you wear while flying, vs. what uniforms you wear while reading the newspaper in the bathroom.

Seriously, folks.  I'm all for productive conversation, but how many times are we going to rehash the same conversations?  Go back and look at past threads in the uniform section (no really, go look).  These topics have been pretty much already been covered to their deaths and then some.   

"Critic 1" thinks maybe it's time we put a bit more time into other, professionally-oriented discussions, even if "Critic 1 of Critic 1" thinks that's hypocritical.  Mea maxima culpa.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Chaplaindon

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 12, 2007, 02:17:08 PM
F22's???  I thought we were getting F-18's (http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2006/04/we_got_new_plan.html)

Al,

Sorry both the F-18 and the new double-breasted Corporate Service Dress uniform would be criticized as looking too Navy-ish. We can't have that, now can we?

Looks matter!

Critic-2
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Al Sayre

I guess as a former squid, my taste tends to run that way...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SKYKING607

FAVORITE UNIFORM?

The USAF 1505 (tan) from the 60's!   Most comfortable I've ever worn!

CAWG Career Captain

ddelaney103

That's easy, I loved this one:

Now, we wore them with ties and w/o the SAC Elite Guard bling, but that was a great suit.

Chappie

The only thing I can say about uniforms in CAP is that there is little uniformity.  I can attend one CAP function and see at least 6 various approved uniforms  ::)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

Of the 20 most prolific posters, the uniform topic was the "favorite" of four posters, 3nd fave of eleven, 3rd fave of two, 4th fave of one, and 5th fave of one.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled complaint session.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: ddelaney103 on June 12, 2007, 05:35:00 PM
That's easy, I loved this one:

[pic redacted]

Now, we wore them with ties and w/o the SAC Elite Guard bling, but that was a great suit.

Oh I loved that uniform, in both the AF style, and Navy style. Sad days when they went away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ddelaney103

Quote from: SarDragon on June 12, 2007, 06:16:50 PM
Of the 20 most prolific posters, the uniform topic was the "favorite" of four posters, 3nd fave of eleven, 3rd fave of two, 4th fave of one, and 5th fave of one.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled complaint session.

We talk about uniforms more than anything else because it's one of the topic that will touch every member.

I remember meeting an old friend who was an ARNG type while I was ANG.  The one commonality we had to talk about was floor buffers.  We were both a little green eyed about the top of the line floor buffer they were using at the university.

Jolt

Senior members Officers are complicated. :)

I just wear what most of the people around me are wearing.  So I wear a BDU when everyone's wearing BDUs, blues when everyone's wearing blues, and a flight suit when I'm flying.