CAP Instructor pilot

Started by flyguy06, June 03, 2007, 02:28:23 AM

flyguy06

What are the duties of a CAP Instructor Pilot andhow do they differ from a CAP Check Pilot?

flynd94

Easy, a CAP IP can give instruction in CAP aircraft (Form 5 prep, training towards FAA Cert, BFR's, High Perf Training, etc).  A CAP Check Pilot can do all that plus actually give you a Form 5 or Form 91, depending on which they are authorized to do.  Clear as mud??
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

mdickinson

Quote from: flynd94 on June 03, 2007, 05:23:11 AM
a CAP IP can give instruction in CAP aircraft [...].  A CAP Check Pilot can do all that plus actually give you a Form 5 or Form 91, depending on which they are authorized to do.

That is mostly correct, but not quite. Mission Check Pilots cannot give flight instruction.

• A CAP Instructor Pilot (IP) is a CAP member who holds an FAA Flight Instructor (CFI) certificate and has been designated by the wing commander* as someone who may give dual instruction in CAP aircraft.
  • A CAP Check Pilot (CP) is a CFI who is a CAP member and has been designated by the wing commander* as someone who may give dual instruction in CAP aircraft and may also give CAPF 5 checkrides to pilots.
  • A CAP Mission Check Pilot (MCP) is a highly experienced and qualified SAR/DR Mission Pilot who has been designated by the wing commander* as someone who may give CAPF 91 checkrides to pilots. This person does not need to be a CFI. They cannot give dual instruction in CAP aircraft.

For the actual list of qualifications, see CAPR 60-1, paragraph 3-2.

A related question would be:
"If a CFI must be designated as a CAP IP before s/he can give dual instruction in a CAP plane, then does a SAR/DR mission pilot have to be designated as an instructor in order to give SAR/DR pilot training?"

The answer would be: Any CAP SAR/DR pilot can give instruction in mission pilot skills. The person needs to have completed Skills Evaluator Training (SET) in order to sign off on the training.

* - or the wing commander's delegatee; the authority to designate IPs, CPs, and MCPs is often delegated to the wing's Standardization & Evaluation Officer (aka "Stan/Eval Officer" or "Wing DOV").

flyguy06

mdickinson, how did you turn my question around. I didnt ask anything about mission check pilot.  I am interested in flying and was asking about the diffeence between an instrcutor pilot and a check pilot. At no time did I ask about a missiocn check pilot
flynd94 answered my question appropriatly. Thanks.

flynd94

No problem, I thought you were just asking about CAP IP's and CAPF5 check pilot.  Thanks to mdickinson for clouding the waters.  No where did I state anything about MCP's.  I be one and, know the rules.

KS
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Mustang

Quote from: flyguy06 on June 03, 2007, 04:43:21 PM
mdickinson, how did you turn my question around. I didnt ask anything about mission check pilot.  I am interested in flying and was asking about the diffeence between an instrcutor pilot and a check pilot. At no time did I ask about a missiocn check pilot
flynd94 answered my question appropriatly. Thanks.

Chill dude, the term "check pilot" could easily be construed to include mission check pilots--who are in fact check pilots. but may only conduct Form 91 checks.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

mdickinson

flynd94's original post answered the question by saying that
- an IP can give dual instruction
- A CP "can do all that plus actually give you a Form 5 or Form 91, depending on which they are authorized to do."

But someone who is authorized to give you a form 91 (that is, an MCP) can't give dual instruction. I was just clarifying that.