2 Millionth Young Eagle is CAP Cadet

Started by Eclipse, July 28, 2016, 05:03:44 PM

Eclipse

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/07-27-2016-2-millionth-young-eagle-flies-today

July 27, 2016 - EAA lifetime member Harrison Ford will fly the 2 millionth Young Eagle, 16-year-old Jodie Gawthrop, Thursday, July 28, at 2:15 p.m., departing from the Boeing Centennial Plaza.
Ford served as chairman of the Young Eagles program for five years, between 2004 and 2009.
Three additional Young Eagles will receive flights from EAA community leaders as part of the program's milestone.
The 1,999,998th Young Eagle will be flown by former Young Eagles co-chairman, Jeff Skiles. Young Eagles chairman and champion aerobatic pilot Sean D. Tucker will then fly Young Eagle number 1,999,999.
After the 2 millionth flight by Ford, Young Eagle number 2 million-plus one will receive a flight from Fred Stadler, the EAA member who has given the most Young Eagle flights. Stadler is a volunteer pilot at EAA's Pioneer Airport.

Gawthrop's love for aviation began in 2013 while she was in the Civil Air Patrol's cadet orientation program.
She said she plans to carry that love for aviation into a career when she applies to a military academy post-high school. She is aiming to join the ranks of the U.S. Air Force or Navy.
"I have prepared myself for this responsibility through choosing to take on new challenges on a daily basis as I continue through this stage of my life," Gawthrop said. "This new, exciting responsibility is something that I feel prepared for."
In addition to flying with Ford, Gawthrop also received complimentary AirVenture admission and lodging for her and her parents, and will receive a Lightspeed Aviation headset and a $7,500 flight training scholarship.

"It's a bit surreal, I wasn't really expecting to have an opportunity to continue my flight training at this age," Gawthrop said. "I'm just really thankful and I look forward to what lies ahead."

Cadet Gawthrop was the ILWG Spring 2016 Cadet Operations Support Officer, and as one of those high-speed CAP-Go Getters, you
frequently see her name in the Volunteer and similar publications.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

:clap: She's also a 2016 Civic Leadership Academy alum. Very highspeed cadet.

Майор Хаткевич

I'm surprised it took this long for the story to hit CAPtalk. Initial story is close to a month old. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on July 28, 2016, 07:22:29 PM
I'm surprised it took this long for the story to hit CAPtalk. Initial story is close to a month old. :)

I don't recall seeing any release on it from CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on July 28, 2016, 07:22:29 PM

There were more important things to discuss. The National Commander's choice of shirt, the placement of patches...again...on the ABU....

You know, priorities.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

vento

This picture from the CAP Facebook page.
Note the cadet is wearing the same polo shirt as the National CC in the same location.

Eclipse

If it's on FB only, that's not a press release and a significant portion of the membership will never see it.

NHQ, as well as a lot of other leaders don't seem to understand that.

Han seems to have recovered from his presumed fatal injury, no worse for the wear!

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

It's on the FB page, so it's accessible to crawlers and all.

Eclipse

Based on the round of releases that just pushed out from NHQ and other levels, let no one believe there aren't lurkers here...

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2016, 05:03:44 PM
In addition to flying with Ford, Gawthrop also received complimentary AirVenture admission and lodging for her and her parents, and will receive a Lightspeed Aviation headset and a $7,500 flight training scholarship.

I had to laugh.

Flight with a celebrity; admission to aviation event; hotel room; headset....and, oh, yeah, $7500 for flying lessons, almost forgot...

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2016, 08:01:42 PM
If it's on FB only, that's not a press release and a significant portion of the membership will never see it.

NHQ, as well as a lot of other leaders don't seem to understand that.

Han seems to have recovered from his presumed fatal injury, no worse for the wear!

A significant portion of the membership will never see a press release either.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Майор Хаткевич

Майор Хаткевич

dwb

Live2Learn

Good for her.

I am curious though... How will she become [EXACTLY] the two millionth?  Could some lowly non-celebrity pilot with some snot nosed kid at a little airport be the true (and actual) trip to the statistical counter?

Just wonderin' how this stuff works... preplanned and announced as it is.

Live2Learn

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2016, 03:28:20 AM
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/05-05-2016-who-will-represent-2-million-young-eagles-at-oshkosh

Ahah!  We have yet another case of reporter malfeasance and the accuracy of "news" reported on an internet forum.  "...will REPRESENT the 2 millionth..." is a whole lot different from BEING the 2 millionth... 

THRAWN

Quote from: Live2Learn on July 29, 2016, 05:28:13 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2016, 03:28:20 AM
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/05-05-2016-who-will-represent-2-million-young-eagles-at-oshkosh

Ahah!  We have yet another case of reporter malfeasance and the accuracy of "news" reported on an internet forum.  "...will REPRESENT the 2 millionth..." is a whole lot different from BEING the 2 millionth...

It says "will represent the 2 million" not 2 millionth. Big difference. Read what's there.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

grunt82abn

Who cares if she is representing or is the 2 millionth, she still gets to fly with Han Solo!!!
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

LSThiker

Quote from: grunt82abn on July 29, 2016, 08:40:26 PM
Who cares if she is representing or is the 2 millionth, she still gets to fly with Han Solo  Indiana Jones!!!

FTFY :)

vorteks

Quote from: LSThiker on July 29, 2016, 08:52:00 PM
Who cares if she is representing or is the 2 millionth, she still gets to fly with Han Solo  Indiana Jones!!!

Love it.

Garibaldi

Who cares if she is representing or is the 2 millionth, she still gets to fly with Han Solo!!! Rick Deckard.

NOW it's fixed.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spam

"Watch your mouth kid or you'll find yourself floating home!"

Cheers
Spam

MIKE

Quote from: LSThiker on July 29, 2016, 08:52:00 PM

Fly, yes... Land, no!
Mike Johnston

Chappie

There is no truth to the rumor that at the conclusion of their flight, Harrison Ford turned to Cadet Gawthrop and said:

https://youtu.be/jw3PJftd-_E
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)