CAP Leather A-2 Jackets -- got one?

Started by Mustang, May 22, 2007, 04:53:46 PM

ddelaney103

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 24, 2007, 11:10:11 PM
Quote from: LTC_Gadget on May 24, 2007, 09:46:52 PM
...But, as a civilian jacket, over time I decided that *I* didn't like it, because, exactly like the AF jacket, the pockets are top flap entry only, and not from the side like civilian jackets, so they aren't any good as hand-warmer pockets, or for much else, actually...

The pockets on both the A-2, and the Navy G-1 were designed with the top entry pockets so that the personnel wouldn't stand around with their hands in their pockets. Handwarmer pockets in general defeat the purpose of the original design. You know how the military is about bearing.

Form over function, they're all about that.  It's the same impulse that gets us ACU's/ABU's with starch.

SarDragon

The top load pockets also do a much better job of keeping things from falling out, an important issue around aircraft.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: ddelaney103 on May 24, 2007, 11:22:16 PM
Form over function, they're all about that.  It's the same impulse that gets us ACU's/ABU's with starch.

At times, yes. At least a lot of the designs nowadays are becoming more practical. The IBA ensemble is a good example.

Quote from: SarDragon on May 24, 2007, 11:49:17 PM
The top load pockets also do a much better job of keeping things from falling out, an important issue around aircraft.

And also the same reason that just about all flight clothing these days have zippers completely closing the pockets. Even in the school I'm in now requires that anything that could fall out has to be in a closed pocket, or left somewhere else other than the helicopter. We've been told that if something is dropped in the bird, then noone goes home until it's found. Loose change, rings, and dog tags can bring down an aircraft (not to mention, you could lose a finger, eye or even your life by having any of that stuff on your person while working).