Scanner/Observer logbook question

Started by Capt Thompson, September 19, 2015, 08:53:19 PM

Capt Thompson

Quick question. Just got a copy of the MS/MO logbook in the mail from VG. Everything is pretty much self explanatory, except the section with the old SARCAP verbiage. It has a column for training, SARCAP and REDCAP. As I remember a sarcap was a training mission, and redcap was a real mission. What would the training column be, wouldn't those hours be put under sarcap?

Just want to make sure I'm filling it out properly. Also, do I log sorties as a trainee, or wait to use the log until I have the qual?

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

SarDragon

I just put all my crap in a spreadsheet now, but still have an olde paper log around.

Number one, this is mostly an unofficial document so put in whatever you want, wherever you want. Number two, most of this is tracked online now, so a paper log is mostly a backup.

Like you said, most of them are self-explanatory. For the ones you asked about, I learned to use them like this:

Training time - classroom and practical training time not associated with a specific mission number. The SQTRs pretty much supplant this.
SARCAP TIME - actual SAREXs; B and C missions
REDCAP time - A missions

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

I have a spreadsheet set up as well, that automatically adds up the columns, and gives a running total at the top, but I like writing in a physical book. The tablet might run out of battery before I enter the info, but if the log is in my kneeboard I can always handwrite everything and then transfer it to the spreadsheet later.

Thanks for the input.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

EMT-83

Log your trainee missions as well. Basically, log everything. Stuff has been known to disappear from eServices and WMIRS.

Live2Learn

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 20, 2015, 01:41:53 AM
Log your trainee missions as well. Basically, log everything. Stuff has been known to disappear from eServices and WMIRS.

Agree.  Log each individual sortie individually, recording sortie number, mission symbol, mission number, date, crew names and CAPID, and mission purpose.  I don't use a spreadsheet, but stick to standard, old fashioned, paper log book.  If you choose to use a digital log, then be absolutely conscientious about regular backups... AND keep a short term log of your sorties on paper for the inevitable day when there's a catastrophic failure of your gadget(s).  Stuff happens.

Shotgun

Keeping track of your mission / training participation is pretty important. Especially if you want to properly document your submissions for recognition as Master Observer, SAR Ribbon, Counter Drug Ribbon, etc.

I created an Excel spreadsheet for myself for both ground team and air crew missions based on the paper logbooks from Vanguard.
I keep in on my Google Drive which makes it easy to update from a mobile device.

I'm attaching it if anyone wants to check it out.