Main Menu

CAP pilot questions

Started by SuperCAP, September 17, 2013, 02:58:44 PM

SuperCAP

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm new so please forgive me.  I'm a little confused about the different types of pilot qualifications in CAP.  For example, a Transport Pilot vs a Mission Pilot.  What are all the different types of CAP pilot designations and how does one go about qualifying for each?  Im not sure where to start as a new-to-CAP pilot. Thanks.

vento

Eclipse

How many hours PIC do you have?

Your first step is a Form 5 check ride.

"That Others May Zoom"

SuperCAP

I've got about 500 hrs PIC.  The CAPF 5 is just the check ride form right?  Anything after that?  Am I then considered a 'VFR pilot'?

JeffDG

Quote from: SuperCAP on September 17, 2013, 08:16:06 PM
I've got about 500 hrs PIC.  The CAPF 5 is just the check ride form right?  Anything after that?  Am I then considered a 'VFR pilot'?
Depends.  Yes, you will be a VFR Pilot after Form 5, but perhaps more than that.

With 500h of PIC, you can also include the "Orientation Pilot" check as well, which will permit you to do Cadet O-Rides.

If you're Instrument Rated, you can do the Instrument portion of the checkride to gain IFR privleges.

You are also very likely immediately qualified to be a "Transport Mission Pilot" (presuming that you have 50h of XC time as well).  You just need to do your GES (Level 1 + a quick test), along with IS100 and IS700 (online courses from FEMA, couple hours)  This will permit you to fly on AFAMs either transporting the aircraft/crew/CAP Property, or doing Airborne Communications Relay (Highbird).  So, you can ferry the plane to/from SAREXs, and do Highbird at the SAREX.  You can also ferry back and forth from maintenance if necessary.

Finally, you can also start working on your SAR/DR Mission Pilot qualification.  First step will be to get your Mission Scanner qualification.  I would also recommend your Mission Observer qualification next, but it's not required.  Talk to you local ES Officer about the requirements to get Mission Scanner and Mission Pilot (Scanner is s prerequisite to training for Mission Pilot).

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Eclipse

Quote from: SuperCAP on September 17, 2013, 08:16:06 PM

Yes, after the Form 5 you are a "VFR pilot" and will be awarded CAP wings.  With that many PIC hours you can immediately request
Cadet Orientation Pilot status.  As a VFR pilot you can rent CAP aircraft at your wing's dry cost for proficiency flying.

You can also start training as a Mission Scanner so that you can learn CAP Emergency Services aircrew procedures - you must be at least a Mission Scanner to begin your training as a Mission Pilot.  There are are fair number of tasks you need to demonstrate, as well as
participating as a Scanner in at least two Missions, training or actual, to the satisfaction of a Skills Examiner.  As JeffDG says above,
I would strongly recommend you also pursue Mission Observer in Parallel to Mission Pilot once you get to that point.  The MO is >not<
just a right-seat pilot.

Once you have made Scanner, the same will be true of Mission Pilot, where in addition to the various practical tasks, and two missions, you
will need to fly a Form 91 checkride with a Wing MP SET/Check Airman.

Once you have completed your checkrides, and if you requalify before expiration (or within a short time after), Form 5's and 91 should be funded by your wing. F5 is annual, F91 is biannual.

You can find the whole curriculum here:http://www.nesa.cap.gov/mascurr.htm#
Though you should definitely find a mentor locally.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

The two great answers above along with reading 60-1 and talking to your squadron's check pilots should get you going fast.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw