Main Menu

Heroes In Our Midst

Started by Tater, June 26, 2009, 05:50:45 AM

Tater

If your squadron is like mine, you might have some real special members, those who served our country during very scary times and stood in the way of evil.  In our case, we have been blessed with a B-52 pilot who flew over North Vietnam dodging the SAMs and the Migs and delivering some good old American steel to the enemy, a Jolly Green driver who was awarded a pair of Silver Stars, combat wounded Infanryman - Korea, crew chief on C-46's doing combat drop in the Phillipines and on it goes, each one unique, special and wonderful. 

This last week at our Dining Out our squadron officially said thank you to our Chaplain who is retiring after 29 years service to Civil Air Patrol and our squadron.  During that time he has been awarded CAWG Chaplain of the Year three times, Pacific Region Chaplain of the Year once and the Chaplain Sammy Campos Award of Excellence once.  For every year he has been with us, he has been Chaplain of the Year in our hearts.  His quiet steadfast strength and ministry to us will be missed.  This same gentle man was also Cpl. Tim Spiller Fourth Marines who was on Midway Island on Dec 7, was there for the Battle of Midway a few months later and then went on to participate as a machine gunner and then .50 cal squad leader during the Battles of Roi Namur, Tinian, Saipan and Iwo Jima.  This quiet man helped stop evil in its tracks. 

Chaplain Lt. Col. Tim Spiller was also given a flyer's honor from a flying squadron, the men and women whom he has served so well and faithfully.   Though not a pilot, three weeks ago he took the left seat in our aircraft for a Fini Flight.  Follow the link below to a video on our squadron website that captures that moment put together by one of our members who found skills he did not know he had to honor Tim.  There is also a slide presentation that Tim used at the Dining Out.

http://sq5.cawg.cap.gov/TimTribute.html

I just wanted to share one of my heroes with you.

Roy Knight
San Bernardino Senior Squadron 5
Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG

USADOD

I thank him for his service, and cool dedication  page.  :clap:
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

ricks

I'm not generally a tribute kind of guy but I have to say that was awesome. I am sure Tim is proud to be in your number.

Chappie

An article about Chaplain Tim Spiller will soon appear in both the National Chaplain Corps newsletter (The Transmitter) and the Pacific Region Chaplain Corps newsletter (The Western Watch) -- both will be available on-line shortly.

It has been my privilege to have known and served with Chaplain Spiller since 1996.   His gentle spirit and manner understates the great impact he made on fellow chaplains.  We learned from Tim how to serve ("minister to") the personnel in your unit and observed from him what an unique bond a chaplain has with the unit.

While he may have retired from the Chaplain Corps...his legacy continues through the Chaplain Corps personnel of the CAWG and PCR who had the wonderful privilege of knowing  and working with him.

And I would like to commend Maj Roy Knight and the fellow members of Squadron 5 for an outstanding job of putting together both the Fini Flight and the tribute portion of the Squadron Awards Banquet/Dining Out held at March ARB this past Saturday evening.  It was simply a wonderful evening.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Tater

Chaplain Lt. Col. Tim Spiller passed away 1 Oct surrounded by his family and friends.  He will be buried with full military honors at Riverside National Cemetery on 9 Oct.  Semper Fi #1 will be rendering honors and will include a longtime CAP member.  A flyover by the Missing Man Foundation will include a CAP member in one of the cockpits.  He was a great man and will be greatly missed.
Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG

esilassy

Never met the man, but seemed to be a hell of a guy. 

RIP brother.......