60 year old Army officer Killed in Combat

Started by wingnut55, May 15, 2009, 12:53:48 AM

wingnut55

Pumbaa

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

wingnut55

Eclipse

Or maybe linguistics, especially Arabic speaking, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 01:46:09 AM
How does a 59-year old get back in after retirement?
He's an officer as opposed to enlisted.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Cecil DP

He's the oldest to die there, but not the oldest to serve. There have been medical people older close to or over 70, several Resertve units were sent over with soldiers who turned 60 during their deployments. I was 57 when I was sent over. What I couldn't understand was that they allowed him to return to duty after being out of the system for over twenty years.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

C/MSgt Lunsford

I salute him for his service and sacrificing his life for us.  :clap:

Wright Brothers #13915

PHall

Quote from: Cecil DP on May 15, 2009, 02:54:52 AM
He's the oldest to die there, but not the oldest to serve. There have been medical people older close to or over 70, several Resertve units were sent over with soldiers who turned 60 during their deployments. I was 57 when I was sent over. What I couldn't understand was that they allowed him to return to duty after being out of the system for over twenty years.

If you're qualified in a MOS the Army really needs, anything is possible, with a waiver.

SarDragon

They brought back battleship crewmen more than once for their knowledge of the 16" guns. Needs of the service, and all that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Heck, they tried to bring my dad back on active duty in 1966 so he could teach the South Vietnamese how to fly the A-26.
He decided to retire instead.

If you have a skill they need, they will waive just about any rule to get you back.

Needs of the service and all that rot...

Spike

A Commissioned Officer is still an Officer after retirement, unless there is a discharge of the negative type.  Since Retired Officers are still considered Officers and since they are listed on the "scrolls", they are illegible for recall or to apply to be placed back in a active or reserve status.

Because an Officer retires he simply moves from one category to another. 

Short Field

Were you trying to say that a retired Officer does not need to be recalled but only moved from the retired list to the active list? 

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Short Field

From one of the news articles:

Major Hutchison, who would have turned 61 on June 5, signed up through a military Retiree Recall programme that allows older, experienced warriors to return to action.
'He'd been a soldier all his life, and that's what he wanted to do,' said his brother, Richard.

'He hadn't been drafted and he didn't have to go, and  he chose that he felt he could serve and make a difference,' said US Army spokesman Lt Colonel Nathan Banks.
The major had been training Iraqi army and police units but his mission had recently changed and he found himself defending Iraq's southern borders.

According to the Pentagon, the US military can reinstate retirees voluntarily up to age 64 for general officers, 62 for warrant officers and 60 for all others.

The army has an age limit of 42 for new soldiers who have no prior service.
About 700 officers are currently on active duty as part of the programme
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Gunner C

My hat is off to Major Hutchison.  He's a true patriot.  My guess is that he decided to serve others to help him with the loss of his wife.  He is truly a noble soul and he has my eternal admiration.

. . . . .

As a retired Army officer, let me give you the lowdown (as it has been explained to me).

Yes, a retired officer is, in fact still an officer.  We don't have a discharge, we can still administer oaths (the commission doesn't expire - unless you're discharged), and are, under certain circumstances, under the UCMJ (very limited but still there).

General officers can be recalled up to age 64, warrant officers up to age 62, and all others up to age 60.  An officer can volunteer to be recalled.  You have to meet height and weight standards and pass a physical exam.  I'm not sure if I'd need to take a PT test, but that would eventually be part of the deal.  A retired officer cannot be promoted on active duty.  I'm not sure if my retirement pay would go up after being released from active duty.

There are three categories:

Category 1:  not retired on permanent disability and have been off active duty for less than five years.

Category 2:  same as above but more than five years off active duty.

Category 3:  retired reserve officers, including those permanently disabled.

Generally speaking, Cat 1 officers can serve overseas; Cat 2 officers can serve stateside and free up someone to go to the combat zone; Cat 3 officers probably wouldn't be recalled unless we're talking about something catastrophic.

Right now, the Army is taking volunteers for recall - but has the authority to do it by just sending the officer a set of "call up orders."  Some of us have "hip pocket orders" giving us a specific unit that we'd be called to if the BIG balloon goes up.  I'm a bit too busticated to go volunteering for that stuff, but I'm available if they need me.

flyguy06

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Gunner C on May 15, 2009, 08:37:41 PM
Right now, the Army is taking volunteers for recall - but has the authority to do it by just sending the officer a set of "call up orders."  Some of us have "hip pocket orders" giving us a specific unit that we'd be called to if the BIG balloon goes up.  I'm a bit too busticated to go volunteering for that stuff, but I'm available if they need me.

I'm sure most Army personnel are just not over joyed when they have to return to the Middle East, again, some for the 4 or 5 th, or even 6th tour of duty time.  My take on it -- causes signficiant personal turmoil/anxiety, in a war that historically looks very similiar to Viet Nam. :-[

I found after I retired from the military that for about 5 years they sent me a questionaire every year about volunteering for recall, medical status etc.    Personally for me it was time to settle down & get on with my life, remembering the good & trying to forget the bad of my military career!

My salute to the fallen warrior for his unselfish act of returning to service & serving in a combat area, that today the vast majority of American's don't appear to focused on, due to the economic downturn that has affected many of them personally.
RM

flyguy06

I disagree with thatassesment that the majority of Amwricans are not focused on the war. Thats all I ever hear about tobe honest.

MIKE

Quote from: flyguy06 on May 18, 2009, 01:42:22 PM
well, neither does the thread about the 60 year old that was killed in combat, but it ws allowed to stay up.
Mike Johnston