Main Menu

The Woodlands, TX

Started by Wildblueflyer, July 28, 2008, 01:38:47 PM

Wildblueflyer

Does anyone have on the ground information on The Woodlands, TX?  Items of interest would be: Nearest CAP Squadron, local airports/airparks, quality of life, expenses, housing, areas to live, taxes,  etc. etc.

Thanks in advance!

mikeylikey

http://www.woodlandsonline.com/

http://www.thewoodlands.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woodlands,_Texas

ZIPCODE may be of some help!

Then go to the join cap page at www.cap.gov and search with the zip to find the nearest unit!

Hope this helps (one of the above links should take you to the Woodlands TX info you need.  I think the Wikipedia site is the best bet!!)

Good luck........
What's up monkeys?

DNall

There's a couple CAP units to choose from. 

7-6 Air Cav is in Conroe just up the road. That's probably the closest & best to work with. It's co-located with an Army Reserve Appache unit & gets lots of support from them. They are active in ES with a decent size cadet program. The adults at that unit are going to be a little more into the military aspect, but not at all overbearing.

There's also a unit (delta comp Sq) that's in NW Houston, not too far away. They are maybe a touch more ES focused, with a decent cadet program. The adults there are a bit more laid back on the military aspect - diverse crowd. It's commanded by a retired Army WO/aviator.

There's a few more in reasonable driving distance. It all depends on what you're looking for in a unit & how far you want to go to get it.

Airports, there are several. The one in conroe is your best bet. IAH is right near by but you don't want to fly GA out of there. DWH (where delta is at) is pretty nice & has a float plane strip. There are lots of smaller fields around the area. Again, it depends on what you're looking for & how far you're willing to go.

Far as quality of life/etc it's pretty good. Most of the Houston area is about the same. Woodlands is a nice area. Cynthia woods mitchell pavillion is right next door. It's a large outdoor concert venue that attracts lots of major names. The schools are good. It's a drive to downtown, but most people don't work downtown anyway. If you do, there's the hardy toll road, 45, and 59 that provide good southbound access - hardy is worth the money to get out of rush hour. Standard single fam housing is going to run the 150-250 range for the most part. That's pretty standard in Houston. You can for sure get stuff around 100, or much much higher than 250. Taxes are a big deal to watch out for. We have no income tax in Texas. It's all sales & property tax - so our property tax tends to be a decent bit higher than other states. You might want to take that into consideration. Far as areas to live within the woodlands... the woodlands is an area. I couldn't give you finite details past that. It's a bit over an hour from me. I can put you in touch with some good real estate agents if you need though.

DNall

mikeylikey

Quote from: DNall on July 28, 2008, 11:09:07 PM
http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/best-cities-to-buy-a-home.html

Settled!  Philadelphia is # 4.  Sorry Texas......I love cheese steaks and I can't get enough of the beer from the Northeast!!

However, I love real Mexican food, the kind you can only find in Texas and Oklahoma.

Tough decisions..................
What's up monkeys?

DNall

I believe that's 4 in the top six or something. Pretty strong showing for one state, and based on a consistently strong economic foundation. Philly's is more volatile in terms of real estate.

Far as beer... we import stuff from yankee states, but we got a nice selection of our own here as well - a good sized german & chech population for 200 years now if you weren't aware. Shiner is probably the most well known of that, and one of my personal favorites. Now mexican food, I don't know where OK even came into that equation. We got great stuff all over.

AlphaSigOU

Mexican food... in Oklahoma?!?!?  ;D

Even Oklahoma BBQ is quite a bit different than that manna-from-heaven, Texas BBQ!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040