Migrating information from CAPWATCH to PIM

Started by Tubacap, August 20, 2007, 04:50:44 PM

Tubacap

For the technogeeks... (meant as an endearing term for those that make the world turn on a microchip)

I am trying to get the contact information in either eServices or the WMU to dump down to Outlook... I know I know, you can throw tomatoes now... or any other PIM for that matter.

Is there an easy way to do it?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

JC004

I haven't tried this, but I would like to know how. 

P.S.
Outlook = Satan   ;)

Eclipse

Setup SIMs, once you have imported the data, you can export it in .csv for import to Outlook or anything else you want.

You will need CC or equivalent rights to download the capwatch database.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

Sorry, I just swapped machines and don't have access at the moment to an installed copy of SIMS, but there is an export option within the reports area, might be excel, not .csv, which could be converted to .CSV easily.

"That Others May Zoom"

Galahad

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2007, 09:14:18 PM
You will need CC or equivalent rights to download the capwatch database.

No you don't.  CAPWATCH is on the left hand menu on the default e-services home page for senior members. Everyone has access to it.  It's the CAPWATCH_Tasks database for importing ES training records into SIMS that you need additional permission to access.

Pylon

Quote from: Galahad on August 21, 2007, 04:17:48 PM
Everyone has access to it. 

I think only senior members have access to it, from what I recall, but I could be mistaken as well.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Duke Dillio

I seem to recall that if you don't have SIMS, you can open the capwatch in MS Access, spend hours looking for the information that you want and then export that information to Excel which could then be used to set up the .csv for Outlook.   :P

Eclipse

Quote from: sargrunt on August 22, 2007, 12:42:56 AM
I seem to recall that if you don't have SIMS, you can open the capwatch in MS Access, spend hours looking for the information that you want and then export that information to Excel which could then be used to set up the .csv for Outlook.   :P

Correct, CAPWatch is basically a series of unlinked tables, you can easily scan them to find various pieces of data, however who's data it is becomes a bit more "time consuming".

With SIMs being such an easy install, I would recommend that route.

Does anyone know what NHQ expected members to do with Capwatch before / without SIMS?

"That Others May Zoom"

floridacyclist

You can easily run a simple query to link the tables together with whatever info you need. I do that, paste it into Excel, delete the duplicate row headers, export it to a CSV, use search and replace to replace the commas with </td><td> and line breaks with </td></tr><tr><td>, and save it as an HTM file that gets sucked into our online telephone directory.

I'm sure there are easier ways, but I don't know enough about PHP programming to do an online query on an Access database yet.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Camas

Quote from: Galahad on August 21, 2007, 04:17:48 PM
No you don't.  CAPWATCH is on the left hand menu on the default e-services home page for senior members. Everyone has access to it.  It's the CAPWATCH_Tasks database for importing ES training records into SIMS that you need additional permission to access.
Correct - you'll need to contact a web security administrator to get this permission; this will normally be your unit commander. If you use Access and are an assigned ES officer you really should consider requesting this permission.

Eclipse

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 22, 2007, 01:53:53 AM
You can easily run a simple query to link the tables together with whatever info you need. I do that, paste it into Excel, delete the duplicate row headers, export it to a CSV, use search and replace to replace the commas with </td><td> and line breaks with </td></tr><tr><td>, and save it as an HTM file that gets sucked into our online telephone directory.

I'm sure there are easier ways, but I don't know enough about PHP programming to do an online query on an Access database yet.

what you just described IMHO, is well beyond the capabilities of the average CAP member, many of which don't even know what Access is for.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2007, 01:25:14 AM
Does anyone know what NHQ expected members to do with Capwatch before / without SIMS?

I use CAPWATCH all the time to create the PD Reports, print member address labels, get my S-3, etc.  It's just a series of unlinked tables unless your using the front end interface...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill