Just got to help(save?) a friend

Started by Archer, November 04, 2014, 10:09:06 AM

Archer

So he calls me at 1:30 in the morning saying he's on a mountain separated from his group, injured, out of water, out of light, and almost out of cell battery, and doesn't know who else to call because he knows I'm a "search and rescue guy". I tell him to hang up, keep his GPS on, and try to call 911. He wasn't able to give me the name of the mountain, but he quickly described how he got there and so I Google Maps it and am able to figure it out and call 911 with the location only to be told they hadn't received a call meaning his phone must have died. I get them good to go on a description and location and I'll find out how it turned out in the morning. I didn't do anything that anyone else couldn't have, but I'm glad I kept my head and was able to give useful info to ES.

I didn't really use any CAP skills, but without CAP I wouldn't be known as the SAR guy and while I would have preferred for him to have used his call on 911, I'm very thankful that out of all his friends, he called me.

Thanks, CAP.

LSThiker

Eclipse

He has a GPS but couldn't give you his exact long and lat?

You might have considered contacting the group he was with to let them know he was alive, and also give him some tip
about being found such as making noise (preferable with a whistle, keeping to the open (unless he's got to shelter in place).

So did they find him?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I'd take that as "keep the GPS feature on the phone working by preserving battery" (and call 911..)

Good deal.

AirAux

CDT/SSgt Rivera

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

OP might be sitting in a lockup for sending 911 on a goose chase .. ;)
.... hasn't been back to the forum since that post.

Inquiring minds want to know, but the story is probably too small to make the tabloid checkstand racks..

JC004

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on November 06, 2014, 09:03:50 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 05, 2014, 04:52:40 PM
Quote from: CDT/SSgt Rivera on November 05, 2014, 04:37:36 PM
Apply for the lifesaver Ribbon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3XZo9gOBI#

I guess that I'm authorized to wear that.  I could simply glue it on top of a different ribbon and put it after my commander's commendation.  I'll have to get another silver star attachment....