Main Menu

Attachment to USAF

Started by ARandomCadet, June 19, 2013, 03:49:55 AM

ARandomCadet

DISCLAIMER - THIS WAS NOT MY "BRIGHT" IDEA (well I added my suggestion to it), THIS IS MY FATHERS "BRIGHT" IDEA, BUT I THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA, BUT I DECIDED I WOULD SEE WHAT OTHERS THINK BEFORE SENDING IT UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, SO I DECIDED TO ASK OPINIONS ABOUT IT HERE.
So my dad had the great idea (after asking me if squadrons were attached to wings at an AFB) that each squadron should be attached to an AF wing. My thoughts on that are get rid of state wings, and make each state a group (so it is basically the same administrative wise as a current CAP wing). ie. Rio del Fierro CS is attached to the 82nd Training Wing out of Sheppard AFB, and for CAP administrative purposes, is under the Texas Group not Texas Wing. What are other people's thoughts about it? Remember to read the disclaimer before you say I should wait until I rank up some before trying to fix CAP, like somebody said in my topic about having a smartphone app for CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

What's the "good" in this idea?

Eclipse

This assumes a level of authority the USAF does not have over CAP.

Time to check the governance documents.

There is also the issue that not all states have a significant enough USAF (or even military) presence to support it.

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 19, 2013, 03:52:06 AM
It puts more Air Force in Air Force Auxillary. Or at least that's my view.

Eclipse

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 03:58:07 AM

How?

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2013, 03:57:36 AM
This assumes a level of authority the USAF does not have over CAP.

Time to check the governance documents.

There is also the issue that not all states have a significant enough USAF (or even military) presence to support it.
Really it's just for morale, a squadron could be 250 miles away from the nearest AFB, but be attached to it for morale support. And I don't think wings by state will supply you with bottomless jalapeƱo popcorn (I find that to provide morale). ;)

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2013, 03:58:33 AM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 03:58:07 AM

How?
By attaching us with an AF wing, we experience more interaction with the AF.

Майор Хаткевич

ARandomCadet

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 19, 2013, 04:06:06 AM
How?
The support, and such from the wing. If some places that had an AFB very close by, they would be interacting with them, considering in that case they would most likely meet on base.

abdsp51

*face palm*  this cadet reminds me of a couple others from the past few years.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 19, 2013, 04:43:03 AM
How so, if because of what I  have said, make sure you have read the disclaimer that is in all caps at the top of my original post.

abdsp51

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 05:00:12 AM
How so, if because of what I  have said, make sure you have read the disclaimer that is in all caps at the top of my original post.

Oh I read the disclaimer and this is not a good idea, by any means.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 19, 2013, 05:02:25 AM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 05:00:12 AM

Oh I read the disclaimer and this is not a good idea, by any means.
Hey it was my dads idea, after who knows how many years he was a cop out in LA it must have altered his mind a pretty good amount. My main wishes are for them to add rotary wing aircraft, and for them to make the cadet officer rank look like the SM (and there for AF) rank but with something to identify them as a cadet (I know about the fact I'm a C/AB, but I want the rank to look nice for when I become a cadet officer when I'm 15)

abdsp51

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 05:07:57 AM
Hey it was my dads idea, after who knows how many years he was a cop out in LA it must have altered his mind a pretty good amount. My main wishes are for them to add rotary wing aircraft, and for them to make the cadet officer rank look like the SM (and there for AF) rank but with something to identify them as a cadet (I know about the fact I'm a C/AB, but I want the rank to look nice for when I become a cadet officer when I'm 15)

They will not add helicopters they are expensive to maintain and operate and the AF purchases our aircraft.  The cadet officer ranks have been the way are for well over years and you could say are a tradition and distinctive.  Soak up what you can now so when you are farther along in the program you can mentor others.

Private Investigator

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 05:07:57 AMHey it was my dads idea, after who knows how many years he was a cop out in LA it must have altered his mind a pretty good amount.

Rainey, did you dad retire out of Harbor Division? In his youth, a blonde guy? I think I know your dad.  What a hoot   :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 03:49:55 AM... that each squadron should be attached to an AF wing. My thoughts on that are get rid of state wings, and make each state a group (so it is basically the same administrative wise as a current CAP wing). ie. Rio del Fierro CS is attached to the 82nd Training Wing out of Sheppard AFB, and for CAP administrative purposes, is under the Texas Group not Texas Wing. What are other people's thoughts about it?

So you change the TXWG status to Group status? So what happens to the current Groups? What happens to Region HQ and Staff? I think you do not quite understand the chain of command and how the whole thing works.

If nothing is broken do not try to fix it. Basically the K.I.S.S. Principle.

Critical AOA

Here's an idea.  After you grow up and gain some knowledge and wisdom, you might consider joining the Air Force yourself.  That way, you could wear adult insignia and actually be under an Air Force wing for real.  Then after you graduate basic, if you want to wait that long, you can walk into the wing commander's office and tell him all that is wrong with how he and all of the other senior officers are running the Air Force and enlighten them with all of your bright and novel ideas.  I am sure they will listen patiently and take all your suggestions to heart.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Luis R. Ramos

I wanted to say something, but...

All the members that posted before me said it all...

Flyer :P
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

I mean no disrespect to your dad or his service as a police officer, but this is NOT a good idea. It just shows lack of knowledge about CAP and USAF. The same goes for your suggestion on the cadet officer ranks; they are fine the way they are. I'm not even going to comment on the helicopter idea.

Since you've started on this board, you've been making suggestions about how to change and "improve" CAP, however it's obvious by your comments that you know very little about the organization. The only way you're going to understand CAP and what we do is to EXPERIENCE it. A few weeks it's just NOT enough.

I suggest you spend more time studying, learning and participating. When you have a bit more experience under your belt, then you can start making more meaningful suggestions. And even then, you may want to limit them to things you have a deeper understanding about. I doubt that at your level you truly understand how CAP works, how and why it's structured the way it is and its relationship with the Air Force.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 19, 2013, 08:06:52 AM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 05:07:57 AMHey it was my dads idea, after who knows how many years he was a cop out in LA it must have altered his mind a pretty good amount.

Rainey, did you dad retire out of Harbor Division? In his youth, a blonde guy? I think I know your dad.  What a hoot   :clap:
No my dads got brown hair, and to make it simple says he was a cop in LA, he was in Inglewood and went through the  LASD Academy back in the '70s and has some pretty good stories (his first day in the field while still in the academy, he had to call in the LAPD Air Cavalry).