I'm applying to USAFA! Any advice? Wish me luck!

Started by Starbird, April 12, 2018, 12:12:55 AM

Starbird

Title says it all, really.  I am now officially an applicant for USAFA Class of 2023.  Any advice for a successful application?  At this time, my initial application has been reviewed, I have emailed my ALO, and I have obtained support from a retired USAF colonel, who is planning to write a letter of recommendation for me.  I am also drafting my requests for congressional nomination, which I hope to get in the mail as soon as they are satisfactory.

Anything else I should be doing at this time?  I feel like there must be something I can do to further improve my chances of being appointed.

Wish me luck!  ;D

Very respectfully,

C/2d Lt Starbird

Airplane girl

I'm also applying for the Air Force Academy as well as the Naval Academy for class of 2023! Are you going to summer seminar? I know that going to summer seminar (which I am going to do) can be very useful for the application. Other than that, have you looked at the Service Academy Forums? There is a lot of advice on what to do to improve your application there. Here is the link: https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php

Good luck!

MSG Mac

Talk to your Congressman and Senator to let them know you're interested.
Either stop by their offices or send a letter.
There are five academies, including the Merchant Marine Academy-Apply for all of them.
Also apply for the CAP AF Prep school slot. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Starbird

Quote from: Airplane girl on April 12, 2018, 12:22:49 AM
I'm also applying for the Air Force Academy as well as the Naval Academy for class of 2023! Are you going to summer seminar? I know that going to summer seminar (which I am going to do) can be very useful for the application. Other than that, have you looked at the Service Academy Forums? There is a lot of advice on what to do to improve your application there. Here is the link: https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php

Good luck!

Thank you! Good luck to you too, I hope to see you at the academy someday!  I will look at the summer seminar, however, I fear that I may have failed to meet the cut off date for the Class of 2023's summer seminar.  Please correct me if I am wrong, however.

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 12, 2018, 06:55:24 AM
Talk to your Congressman and Senator to let them know you're interested.
Either stop by their offices or send a letter.
There are five academies, including the Merchant Marine Academy-Apply for all of them.
Also apply for the CAP AF Prep school slot. 

Thank you!  I will send letters this afternoon.  Should I send a letter of interest before sending the structured, formal letter requesting a nomination?

Also, about the CAP AF Prep school slot.  I am unsure if I qualify for it, as I am a senior, however, I was unable to apply for the Class of 2022 for various personal and family reasons.  Thus, I will be out of high school (I read somewhere being in HS was a requirement to apply) by the time I apply for the prep spot for 2023, so unless I can apply early, I am not sure if I still qualify. If you know the answer to this, I would be most grateful.

Kind regards,

C/2d Lt Starbird

THRAWN

Don't limit yourself. Don't forget about New London, King's Point, and the Naval and Military Academies. There's also VMI, The Citadel, Norwich...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

HGjunkie

Your application should highlight how you truly want to serve and any reasons which may factor into that desire. Take a hard look and also start ROTC applications - if you want to serve in the military that badly to begin with, you should use all your available options to get there.

There's a LOT of nuances about the application process so if you have any specifics (And your ALO can't answer them) you need answered then I can probably help. I'm sure a decent amount has changed in the 5 years it's been since I started applying however.

Fun fact: summer seminar has little correlation on you actually getting in.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

J2H

I got accepted into Norwich Corps of Cadets after I left Active Duty... the ROTC recruiter told me not to bother, as I would have more military experience and combat experience than any ROTC instructor there.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

PHall

Keeping your GPA up and not getting hurt bad enough to keep you out of the military is the two things that you can do right now.

CadetFriesen

Keep your GPA up, nail the fitness assessment, if you are not already doing a team sport I highly advise you quickly get on a team. Increase your SAT scores as much as possible. Of all of those, GPA/SAT is the most important. GPA/SAT is more important then CAP. Very few points on your application are due to CAP involvement. Your GPA/SAT on the other hand is weighed significantly.

Also, have a backup plan. Apply for ROTC scholarships and apply to additional schools you really want to attend. I understand USAFA is your first choice, but the goal is to commission. There are many roads to get to that same point, make sure you explore all of them.
1st Lt, USAF

THRAWN

Quote from: J2H on May 17, 2018, 11:29:53 PM
I got accepted into Norwich Corps of Cadets after I left Active Duty... the ROTC recruiter told me not to bother, as I would have more military experience and combat experience than any ROTC instructor there.

Just like any former enlisted member with combat experience. What they did have, and what you didn't, was the gold bars at the end of the rainbow. That's the worst advice I ever heard from anybody, and I've heard some real doozies....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

J2H

I didn't end up applying... I actually did that when I was going to get out the first time... I ended up reenlisting.  When I got out that time, I went right to work as a Security Supervisor
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031