Cadet Program Activity Ideas

Started by DBlair, April 16, 2009, 07:10:51 PM

BTCS1*

oh... I thought that was a guideline, as I have heard of C/SSGs and C/TSgts being 1st sgts in smaller squadrons. well, I guess I would just be flt. sgt until I become a C/Msgt
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

BTCS1*

next question... why does vanguard sell the daimonds when C/MSgt grade insignia and above to C/CMSgt has it(daimond) in between he chevrons? hmmm...

Eclipse

How is what VG sells relevant to our regulations?

If the reg says you need something, and VG has it, great, buy it there if you are so inclined, but just because they sell something doesn't mean its legal for wear by CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

BTCS1*

oh, okay thanks. but either way I will be serving the same role in my squadron, and I hope to improve it. BTW its Brooklyn Tech Cadet Squadron(NY-384), we are a unit of mostly basics and airmen, our cadet command consists of C/SrAs abd NCOs, but we are improving ourselfs and will do so more next year as we get more involved with ES and other things. :D

DC

Quote from: BTCS1* on April 21, 2009, 04:11:08 AM
oh, okay thanks. but either way I will be serving the same role in my squadron, and I hope to improve it. BTW its Brooklyn Tech Cadet Squadron(NY-384), we are a unit of mostly basics and airmen, our cadet command consists of C/SrAs abd NCOs, but we are improving ourselfs and will do so more next year as we get more involved with ES and other things. :D
At this stage in your squadron's development you really shouldn't have a staff position higher than Flight Sergeant.

Take a look at the suggested CoC structures at the end of the Cadet Staff Handbook (link), particularly those on page 54.

Also, it's really not necessary to make four posts back to back to back to back. Go back and edit the original, rather than make four successive posts in the same thread over 20 minutes. Or, better yet, think about your post for a minute, then include all four questions, responses and the like in one post. Use the quote tool to address specific posts.

JayT

Quote from: Nathan on April 21, 2009, 03:26:23 AM
Quote from: BTCS1* on April 21, 2009, 03:22:05 AM
well anyway to get back into this, I may be C/CC because my squadron is a very small, school based squadron, out ENTIRE upper COC is graduating this year so I and another cadet are the next to be C/CC and 1st Sgt. And because we are based in NYC(brooklyn) a road(sidewalk) march is suitable

For your sake, I hope your commander chooses not to assign a cadet commander and take over the duties his/herself until one of you reaches C/2d Lt.

This isn't bashing your motivation. Rather, I hope your commander realizes the problem that comes up when you do make C/2d Lt and have been the C/CC for two years. It would likely be someone else's turn, and then what do YOU do? It would be difficult for you to take orders from someone you were just commanding, so you just work as an advisor? That's not very much fun. You're only halfway through the program, and according to program suggestions, shouldn't even BE a C/CC yet.

Regulations do not require a commander to appoint a C/CC, and I hope, for your sake, that he/she does not.

Thing's are a little weird out here in the lower New York area Nathan. A lot of commanders would rather have a C/CC filled by a junior Airman then figure out what to do without a Cadet CoC to run interference for them.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

BTCS1*

its true, NYCG is one *special* group! (in both ways!) are you from NYCG?

flyguy06

I would like to see more aviation centered activities. We are the Civil "Air" Patrol, not the Civil "Ground Team" Patrol. I would like to see flight training. actual flight training, not just O rides. I wouldlike to see Avaition ground schools ansd visits to ATC facilities. and maybe airlines and have speakers talk about careers in airlines or military aviation or aviation business.

It would be cool if each region could have a flight academy. Those are the kindsof activities I wouldlike to see, It seems a lot of members are so caught up on GT that you'd think CAP was a ground team or ground rescue organization. It is an aviation organization.

Pingree1492

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 22, 2009, 04:49:43 PM
I would like to see more aviation centered activities. We are the Civil "Air" Patrol, not the Civil "Ground Team" Patrol. I would like to see flight training. actual flight training, not just O rides. I would like to see Aviation ground schools and visits to ATC facilities. and maybe airlines and have speakers talk about careers in airlines or military aviation or aviation business.

It would be cool if each region could have a flight academy. Those are the kind of activities I would like to see; it seems a lot of members are so caught up on GT that you'd think CAP was a ground team or ground rescue organization. It is an aviation organization. (edited for spelling/grammar)

Yes, we are an aviation-oriented program, but until a cadet is 18, he/she CAN'T participate in the air side of search and rescue.  There is a lot of focus with cadets on Ground Teams, as that's one way they can make a direct and positive influence on the aviation community.  That's also why Flight Line Marshalling is a popular choice.  No one really likes standing on a hot/cold ramp all day, but for the cadets to get that close to airplanes, fuel them, and "tell" the pilots what to do- that's a really awesome experience for them until they can actually get in the plane.

If you want more visits to ATC Facilities, Airline Tours, etc, etc, then arrange them yourself!  We've done tours of ATC Facilities, Airline tours, we've sent a number of cadets into United's Flight Simulators, and have had numerous guest speakers.  Careful with the guest speakers though- some can be VERY boring, and a waste of a meeting- even if they are very knowledgeable. 

The Ground School side is harder to do, many cadets simply aren't old enough for more than what's in their Aerospace Modules to be terribly useful to them.  Sure, early exposure to the material will help later when they have to actually use it and apply it, but there's a lot of better training opportunities out there for them to do until their old enough to actually be ready to solo a plane.  Gliders make things easier because you can start younger, but it's also harder to arrange time to train in them.

Maybe I'm spoiled where I live, but it seems that there's a Flight Academy in-state at least every couple of years- is this not the case elsewhere?
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

flyguy06

We have a glider encampment here which is good. but I am a powered guy and would like to see a powered encampment.

But again your first paragraph said until a cadet is 18 he/she cant participate on the air side. You focus again on ES. Thats not what I am talking about. Like I always say everyone doesnt join CAP to do ES. We have several members in my squadron that have absolutley no interset in ES. They dont want to be on an aircrew or a ground team. I like ES,but my main objective in CAP is to see cadets fly. I am not talking about fly on a mission. I mean just fly. To solo either a glider or a powered aircraft. To get a Private pilot certificate. thats what I enjoy. That and particiapte in Color Guard and Honor Guards. To provide a Color Guard to community events. To put on an Aerospace exhibit at a school To work crowd control at an airshow.

I could do my entire CAP career and never be issued a 101 card and that would be ok with me. For me and my community ES is not the primary function of our squadron. The primary function is to take kids in the communtiy and mold them and expose them to aviation careers (not just military aviation either) and teach them leadership through drill teams and color guards, and to have fun. We can do all of that without once picking up a DF or taking a GES test.

I am not knocking ES. Like I said I like it. I am a MO and almost a MP and I used to be a GTL. But if I never had any of that stuff, thats ok. I am happy taking cadets on O rides, Instructing them, helping them attain a pilots certificate,  coordinating tours of aviation or ATC facilities.

I work with another youth avition organization where in the summer we team up with Delta Airlines for a week long camp. They tour the maintence facilities, They get an orientation to Flight Attendant training, they vist the MD-90 full motion sims, they get a discovery flight in Cessna 172's and Delta chaters us a 757 and takes us to the Smithsonian air and space museum or to NASA in Houston. Btw, they allow me to take 10 CAP cadets along when they have room which they usually always do.

I would love to do an activity like that for CAP cadets. We are a youth aviation organization but we seem to have more ES ground and fiield related activiites than avaition related activites. I have always wondered why that is.

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 22, 2009, 09:37:28 PM
To work crowd control at an airshow.
Not to nitpick but that's ES.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

Quote from: davidsinn on April 22, 2009, 11:55:28 PM

Ummmm no its not. How is parking cars and crowd control ES? We arent looking for any ELT's or lost kids. We just park cars and keep the public off the flight line during performances

arajca

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 23, 2009, 12:02:18 AM

Ummmm no its not. How is parking cars and crowd control ES? We arent looking for any ELT's or lost kids. We just park cars and keep the public off the flight line during performances
ES is not only SAR (yeah, I know that's tantamount to blasphamy). Parking cars can be useful at disaster scenes and staging areas. Crowd control can be VERY helpful at command posts and other incident facilitites. Both are very useful when helping at distribution points.

davidsinn

Because at EVERY airshow where we work that I have heard of you are REQUIRED to have at least GES now they are requiring IS100 and 700.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

flyguy06

Quote from: arajca on April 23, 2009, 12:34:50 AM

ES is not only SAR (yeah, I know that's tantamount to blasphamy). Parking cars can be useful at disaster scenes and staging areas. Crowd control can be VERY helpful at command posts and other incident facilitites. Both are very useful when helping at distribution points.

Yes, but we werent talking about disater scenes or a command post. We were talking about an airshow.

flyguy06

Quote from: davidsinn on April 23, 2009, 12:58:51 AM

Because at EVERY airshow where we work that I have heard of you are REQUIRED to have at least GES now they are requiring IS100 and 700.

Not at the ones we have worked at

Pingree1492

Must be a wing or region specific thing- I've never heard of that requirement.  To do any Flight Line Marshalling, one would need those things, but not to work the airshow itself.

We have a glider encampment here which is good. but I am a powered guy and would like to see a powered encampment.

But again your first paragraph said until a cadet is 18 he/she cant participate on the air side. You focus again on ES. Thats not what I am talking about. Like I always say everyone doesnt join CAP to do ES. We have several members in my squadron that have absolutley no interset in ES. They dont want to be on an aircrew or a ground team. I like ES,but my main objective in CAP is to see cadets fly. I am not talking about fly on a mission. I mean just fly. To solo either a glider or a powered aircraft. To get a Private pilot certificate. thats what I enjoy. That and particiapte in Color Guard and Honor Guards. To provide a Color Guard to community events. To put on an Aerospace exhibit at a school To work crowd control at an airshow.

I work with another youth avition organization where in the summer we team up with Delta Airlines for a week long camp. They tour the maintence facilities, They get an orientation to Flight Attendant training, they vist the MD-90 full motion sims, they get a discovery flight in Cessna 172's and Delta chaters us a 757 and takes us to the Smithsonian air and space museum or to NASA in Houston. Btw, they allow me to take 10 CAP cadets along when they have room which they usually always do.

I would love to do an activity like that for CAP cadets. We are a youth aviation organization but we seem to have more ES ground and fiield related activiites than avaition related activites. I have always wondered why that is.

Caught me on that one.  I do tend to be a bit ES-focused because that is one of the unique opportunities that we give our cadets.  I don't know another organization that I could have joined when I was 12 and begun to learn about Search and Rescue.  Color Guards and Drill Teams are a great way to learn leadership, but I've learned far more about being a leader while doing ES-type stuff than I did as a Cadet Drill Team Commander.  I'm not saying one should be done in place of another, as both definitely have their place in our program.

And if it wasn't for CAP, I certainly wouldn't have earned my Private Pilot's Certificate.  I learned to fly through CAP Instructor Pilots, who donated their time in the aircraft and on the ground with me.  I also received a few scholarships along the way to help me out.  One day, I'll be able to "pay that forward".  But I did all that outside of the meeting times- and that worked for me.  It's working for another cadet in my squadron- hopefully he'll be going up on his first powered solo this weekend.

And CAP does offer a few different National Special Activities that are similar (but not identical) to the summer camp you mentioned.  The program does sound pretty cool- it might be possible to work with National to set up a new NCSA for next year through that program.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

flyguy06

Hmmm. thats not a bad idea actually

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 23, 2009, 05:10:53 AM

Not at the ones we have worked at

Could be region. I experienced it in two different wings.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

gistek

Air shows, and other events that require parking and/or crowd monitoring are now referred to as "Planned Disasters" in the Incident Command System. Like large SAR missions and disaster response missions, they benefit from unified command.

In a disaster situation it is very possible that some CAP members might be asked to assist with refugee/survivor camp management (crowd control) and evacuation (parking/traffic control).

The first year I helped at one event there were a lot of problems because the various agencies didn't coordinate their services. The next year CAP decided to use the Incident Command Structure to manage their part of the event support. It worked so well that the other agencies got together and coordinated gatekeeping, first aid, participant management, and security using the Incident Command Structure as their model. CAP's parking, and crowd monitoring are part of the gatekeeping operations.

They even consider each presenting participant group to be a "task force." Issues still crop up every year, but they hold after actions at all levels, so the same problems rarely happen twice.