Cadet Commander Duty Positions

Started by Cadet CMSgt, August 19, 2015, 06:47:53 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 20, 2015, 12:16:52 AM
Especially if this C/CC is the C/XO and the ES officer, which would be supervised by the C/XO. :) In reality there is no C/XO, because it is impossible for a C/ESO to be supervised by himself.

Funny enough, there are a lot of people in leadership positions that would actually believe it can be done :P

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 06:43:02 PM
Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 20, 2015, 12:16:52 AM
Especially if this C/CC is the C/XO and the ES officer, which would be supervised by the C/XO. :) In reality there is no C/XO, because it is impossible for a C/ESO to be supervised by himself.

Funny enough, there are a lot of people in leadership positions that would actually believe it can be done [emoji14]
Its even better that the highest ranked nco in the squadron is in the lowest staff position under lower ranked nco's

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 20, 2015, 05:54:56 AM
I am the CMSgt i have a smsgt as my flight commander and im promoting to cmsgt 2nd phase next month. Thw cadet commander is always saying position over rank? Theres no such thing. The positions come with rank. I am in the position a staff and tech sgt should be in.

You're the C/CMSgt, and perhaps the C/SMSgt is in that position because he was deemed to be better suited for it.

No such thing as Position over Rank Grade? Guess the LtCol in our unit should coup the new Squadron Commander Captain. I'll be back, have to send some emails.

While positions certainly relate to grade, they don't have to be. Yes, it makes no sense to have a C/Officer as the Flight Sergeant or First Sergeant. Yes, for First Sergeant there are requirements of C/MSgt-C/CMSgt, and C/Capt for C/CC. But overall? It's up to the SMs in charge to run the program as they deem fit.

I've got a C/SSgt as a Flight Sergeant and a C/CMSgt who isn't in a line staff job.

Reasons for not having a cadet in a "grade appropriate" position vary from attendance/time/commitment/maturity/want.

I'm getting a distinct vibe that you FEEL like you should be higher up, and don't like having to report to someone "below" you in terms of stripes. If that's the case, address it with the chain of command (on the senior side). If you don't like it, feel free to escalate, but also be ready to deal with the consequences.

Cadet CMSgt

Ok so i know your not trying to say im a terrible cadet. I know that. Ive been calling drill and doing drill for 4-5 years and went to merhga this summer i love drill ive been told im good at drill. I love leading others and following. But i was put there because the cadet commander didnt want me part of promotion board.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 20, 2015, 05:54:56 AM
I am the CMSgt i have a smsgt as my flight commander and im promoting to cmsgt 2nd phase next month. Thw cadet commander is always saying position over rank? Theres no such thing. The positions come with rank. I am in the position a staff and tech sgt should be in.

You're the C/CMSgt, and perhaps the C/SMSgt is in that position because he was deemed to be better suited for it.

No such thing as Position over Rank Grade? Guess the LtCol in our unit should coup the new Squadron Commander Captain. I'll be back, have to send some emails.

While positions certainly relate to grade, they don't have to be. Yes, it makes no sense to have a C/Officer as the Flight Sergeant or First Sergeant. Yes, for First Sergeant there are requirements of C/MSgt-C/CMSgt, and C/Capt for C/CC. But overall? It's up to the SMs in charge to run the program as they deem fit.

I've got a C/SSgt as a Flight Sergeant and a C/CMSgt who isn't in a line staff job.

Reasons for not having a cadet in a "grade appropriate" position vary from attendance/time/commitment/maturity/want.

I'm getting a distinct vibe that you FEEL like you should be higher up, and don't like having to report to someone "below" you in terms of stripes. If that's the case, address it with the chain of command (on the senior side). If you don't like it, feel free to escalate, but also be ready to deal with the consequences.
I mean i agree with what your saying but the cadet over me is just not mature at time doesnt wear uniform properly at times and cant call commands on the roght foot. I will admit i dislike reporting to a lower ranked cadet its downgrading to me mostly because ive worked on staff for going on two years and i was hoping to move up the chain instead i get stuck as a flight sergeant. It makes no since. Ive been working hard and showing up to everything was even willing this past monday night to turn my essay in and do the speech the same night so i could promote next month.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 06:53:04 PM
Ok so i know your not trying to say im a terrible cadet.

Of course not. There are no terrible cadets. Those that were are all former cadets.

Ive been calling drill and doing drill for 4-5 years and went to merhga this summer i love drill ive been told im good at drill.

So you're a C/CMSgt with 4-5 years in CAP? While I'm all for "slower" promotions, that's a bit too long. Outside of that? I've got no way to judge your drill skills, but that's only a small part of being a flight commander/sergeant.

I love leading others and following. But i was put there because the cadet commander didnt want me part of promotion board.

The CDC had to approve those selections. Take it up with him/her.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:02:07 PM
Ok so i know your not trying to say im a terrible cadet.

Of course not. There are no terrible cadets. Those that were are all former cadets.

Ive been calling drill and doing drill for 4-5 years and went to merhga this summer i love drill ive been told im good at drill.

So you're a C/CMSgt with 4-5 years in CAP? While I'm all for "slower" promotions, that's a bit too long. Outside of that? I've got no way to judge your drill skills, but that's only a small part of being a flight commander/sergeant.

I love leading others and following. But i was put there because the cadet commander didnt want me part of promotion board.

The CDC had to approve those selections. Take it up with him/her.

Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in rotc before hand. I was also trained by my dad before that in a few things but. I guess your right I don't like reporting to a younger cadet. Im 18 and he's 14. I just seem embarrassed by the fact a 14 year old is in charge of me. Im sorry for getting a little mad at you for what you said.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 06:59:27 PM
I mean i agree with what your saying but the cadet over me is just not mature at time doesnt wear uniform properly at times and cant call commands on the roght foot.

Maturity is also showing respect for your superiors.

I will admit i doslije reporting to a lower ranked cadet its downgrading to me mostly because ive worked on staff for going on two years and i was hoping to move up the chain instead i get stuck as a flight sergeant.

What reasons were you given?

It makes no since.

BTDT. It really depends.

Ive been working hard and showing up to everything was even willing this past monday night to turn my essay in and do the speech the same night so i could promote next month.

BTDT. Most of my cadets aren't so lucky. With the exception of one so far, everyone has had to revise their essays at least once, before giving the speech.

Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in rotc before hand.

So you're about 18-19?

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

I mean i agree with what your saying but the cadet over me is just not mature at time doesnt wear uniform properly at times and cant call commands on the roght foot.

I will admit i doslije reporting to a lower ranked cadet its downgrading to me mostly because ive worked on staff for going on two years and i was hoping to move up the chain instead i get stuck as a flight sergeant.

It makes no since.

BTDT. It really depends.

Ive been working hard and showing up to everything was even willing this past monday night to turn my essay in and do the speech the same night so i could promote next month.

BTDT. Most of my cadets aren't so lucky. With the exception of one so far, everyone has had to revise their essays at least once, before giving the speech.

So you're about 18-19?
I was never given any reasons.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

It makes no since.

BTDT. It really depends.

So you're about 18-19?
And yes Sir I'm 18 years old.

Майор Хаткевич

In case it's not obvious, I'm implying that you should take your grievances to the CDC, and go from there.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:13:12 PM
In case it's not obvious, I'm implying that you should take your grievances to the CDC, and go from there.
Yes Sir thank you. I'm sorry. I just don't like to bring things to my squadron because i get turned down a lot by C/CC and it never makes it up the chain. So i guess you can say i have 2 years of anger in things i think shouldnt be happening the way they are happening. So im sorry for my anger.

Storm Chaser

To put things into perspective, I'm a Maj and a Group Commander. My Group Deputy Commander and several staff officers and squadron commanders are Lt Cols. While grade is important and taken into account when assigning duty positions, it's not always the decisive factor. You also have to keep in mind that members can and often are promoted while in a duty assignment. That was the case of my Deputy Commander, who was a Maj when appointed, but was promoted several months later to Lt Col.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:17:07 PM
Yes Sir thank you. I'm sorry. I just don't like to bring things to my squadron because i get turned down a lot by C/CC and it never makes it up the chain. So i guess you can say i have 2 years of anger in things i think shouldnt be happening the way they are happening. So im sorry for my anger.

If you're not getting the answer or resolution you're looking for from the Cadet Commander, you can always go to the Deputy Commander for Cadets or Squadron Commander. That is the chain of command. One link in the chain can't stop you from going to the next, especially if that link is another cadet.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:03:13 PM
Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in jrotc before hand. I was also trained by my dad before that in a few things but. I guess your right I don't like reporting to a younger cadet. Im 18 and he's 14. I just seem embarrassed by the fact a 14 year old is in charge of me. Im sorry for getting a little mad at you for what you said.

Fix that for ya  ;)

Now you know how 50-year-old Sergeant Majors feel when a 22-year-old Second Lieutenant gets put in charge of them.

But the key is knowing who your boss is and why they're your boss. Sometimes you might not agree, and it's absolutely frustrating, but part of being a responsible person, especially in a position of authority such as yours, is to man up and deal with the hand you've been dealt.

If you plan on staying in CAP and transitioning to become a Senior Member/Officer, you also need to remember that you aren't suddenly outranking everyone and throwing your authority around now that you finally hit the big leagues. Stay within your chain of command, and execute your duties and responsibilities accordingly and appropriately.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 26, 2015, 07:33:28 PM

If you're not getting the answer or resolution you're looking for from the Cadet Commander, you can always go to the Deputy Commander for Cadets or Squadron Commander. That is the chain of command. One link in the chain can't stop you from going to the next, especially if that link is another cadet.
Well with the new C/CC hes gotten on to me for doing that before. So thats why i don't.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 07:38:47 PM
Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:03:13 PM
Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in jrotc before hand. I was also trained by my dad before that in a few things but. I guess your right I don't like reporting to a younger cadet. Im 18 and he's 14. I just seem embarrassed by the fact a 14 year old is in charge of me. Im sorry for getting a little mad at you for what you said.

Fix that for ya  ;)

Now you know how 50-year-old Sergeant Majors feel when a 22-year-old Second Lieutenant gets put in charge of them.

But the key is knowing who your boss is and why they're your boss. Sometimes you might not agree, and it's absolutely frustrating, but part of being a responsible person, especially in a position of authority such as yours, is to man up and deal with the hand you've been dealt.

If you plan on staying in CAP and transitioning to become a Senior Member/Officer, you also need to remember that you aren't suddenly outranking everyone and throwing your authority around now that you finally hit the big leagues. Stay within your chain of command, and execute your duties and responsibilities accordingly and appropriately.
Yes sir/ma'am(not sure which to choose.)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:39:03 PM

Well with the new C/CC hes gotten on to me for doing that before. So thats why i don't.

I think you need to provide a little extra detail on that issue before it can be better addressed.

It sounds like you went over his head previously and he wasn't too happy about it, which can be understandable, even if what you did was appropriate. But I don't want to assume anything on this and give advice when I don't know all of the facts.

Neither.

There's no rank/grade here. This is a place for discussion and sharing ideas/information, not a place for saluting.  ;)

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 07:42:22 PM
Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:39:03 PM

I think you need to provide a little extra detail on that issue before it can be better addressed.

It sounds like you went over his head previously and he wasn't too happy about it, which can be understandable, even if what you did was appropriate. But I don't want to assume anything on this and give advice when I don't know all of the facts.

Neither.

There's no rank/grade here. This is a place for discussion and sharing ideas/information, not a place for saluting.  ;)
Its still sir or ma'am. And i haven't gone over him. Ive gone to the C/CC and if that didn't work he sent me to a senior member.

TheSkyHornet

....I am indeed male >_>

Any more specificity than that?

I'm really not getting the issue here, other than you have a problem with the person above you, which could be very well legitimate. But what's happening when you go beyond that person? Is (are) your problem(s) being resolved?

Quote from: lordmonar on August 20, 2015, 01:09:56 AM
All not filled positions are filled by the next higher on the chain.

So....if their is not XO (the guy who manages the cadet staff) then of course the commander is filling that position by defualt.   And just like NIMS you can double billet people but never "combine" jobs...it makes it easier to fit a person into said job once he become qualified and available.

Other then that....you are correct....The squadron commander/DCC are the people who determine what positions are filled and by who.

So....to the OP it seems like you feel that you are not being given enough leadership opportunity.....okay fair enough....take your concerns to your C/CC and/or the DCC.

While true, unfortunately, my squadron commander doesn't always agree with that, feeling "the cadets run themselves." The way our cadet command has morphed in the past month really doesn't please me at the moment, and makes my job more difficult as the leadership officer and activities officer.