Cadet Commander Duty Positions

Started by Cadet CMSgt, August 19, 2015, 06:47:53 PM

Cadet CMSgt

In our squadron our Cadet commander currently has 4 duty positions. Is this even allowed? I say if you are the Cadet Commander you should only have that one position and give other cadets a chance to have positions. But again I ask. What are the regs. on number of duty positions?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: 531080 on August 19, 2015, 06:47:53 PM
In our squadron our Cadet commander currently has 4 duty positions. Is this even allowed? I say if you are the Cadet Commander you should only have that one position and give other cadets a chance to have positions. But again I ask. What are the regs. on number of duty positions?

What are the duty positions?

Cadet CMSgt

He is:
Cadet Commander
Executive Officer
ES Officer
and
Wing CAC

Storm Chaser

No, there's no regulation limiting the number of positions a cadet can have. That's going to be up to the squadron commander or deputy commander for cadets. There are many factors that come into play when deciding who's going to do what. Without knowing this cadet or other cadets in your unit, it would be hard to say whether he or she should have these other positions.

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 19, 2015, 06:51:32 PM
He is:
Cadet Commander
Executive Officer
ES Officer
and
Wing CAC

It's redundant for the cadet commander to also be the executive officer. If there's no other suitable person to have that position, it should stay vacant. It's like having the cadet commander also be the cadet deputy commander. The duties overlap.

Cadet CMSgt

Agreed. I am the current ES NCO but will be officer really soon. But I was told by DCC that I would be the cadet over ES after he went Commander. But he still pushing me out of the subject. Mostly because he is SET in GTM3 and UDF. But so am I and I'm almost GTM2, GTM1, and GTL. Any ideas on what to do here? I mean yes I know he's an officer and I have to respect that. But He's trying to take command a little to far.

Storm Chaser

Regardless of any additional duties a Cadet Commander may have, he or she still oversees these functions and the cadet staff assigned to them. Of course, as a Cadet ES NCO or Officer, you would also be working with the senior member ES Officer. You can still do that regardless of your duty title.

If you still have issues with that, then follow the chain of command and talk to your Deputy Commander for Cadets.

Cadet CMSgt

Eaker Guy

Would you be comfortable sharing the makeup of your squadron(e.g. number of officers, NCOs, airmen)? This would help with regards to your question.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 19, 2015, 06:56:12 PM

No, there's no regulation limiting the number of positions a cadet can have. That's going to be up to the squadron commander or deputy commander for cadets. There are many factors that come into play when deciding who's going to do what. Without knowing this cadet or other cadets in your unit, it would be hard to say whether he or she should have these other positions.

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 19, 2015, 06:51:32 PM
He is:
Cadet Commander
Executive Officer
ES Officer
and
Wing CAC

It's redundant for the cadet commander to also be the executive officer. If there's no other suitable person to have that position, it should stay vacant. It's like having the cadet commander also be the cadet deputy commander. The duties overlap.

Especially if this C/CC is the C/XO and the ES officer, which would be supervised by the C/XO. :) In reality there is no C/XO, because it is impossible for a C/ESO to be supervised by himself.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 19, 2015, 09:43:26 PM
Would you be comfortable sharing the makeup of your squadron(e.g. number of officers, NCOs, airmen)? This would help with regards to your question.

It really wouldn't. Since all duty assignments are made by the Squadron Commander or Deputy Commander for Cadets, it is them who need to determine who's more qualified to do what. It's also their call whether one cadet holds more than one position or not.

Based on the information provided, there's nothing wrong with the Cadet Commander also being the WCAC Representative and C/ESO. The only position that seems redundant is the Executive Officer.

If the OP has an issue with the way his cadet organization is structured, then he needs to address that with his Commander or Deputy Commander for Cadets.

lordmonar

All not filled positions are filled by the next higher on the chain.

So....if their is not XO (the guy who manages the cadet staff) then of course the commander is filling that position by defualt.   And just like NIMS you can double billet people but never "combine" jobs...it makes it easier to fit a person into said job once he become qualified and available.

Other then that....you are correct....The squadron commander/DCC are the people who determine what positions are filled and by who.

So....to the OP it seems like you feel that you are not being given enough leadership opportunity.....okay fair enough....take your concerns to your C/CC and/or the DCC.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eaker Guy

Quote from: lordmonar on August 20, 2015, 01:09:56 AM

So....if their is not XO (the guy who manages the cadet staff) then of course the commander is filling that position by defualt.   And just like NIMS you can double billet people but never "combine" jobs...it makes it easier to fit a person into said job once he become qualified and available.

Other then that....you are correct....The squadron commander/DCC are the people who determine what positions are filled and by who.

So....to the OP it seems like you feel that you are not being given enough leadership opportunity.....okay fair enough....take your concerns to your C/CC and/or the DCC.

+1. Especially on the leadership opportunity part.

To the OP, make sure you have all the facts before you contact the C/CC and CDC. There may be other factors. Maybe even a simple misunderstanding between the C/CC and the CDC.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 20, 2015, 12:56:03 AM

It really wouldn't. Since all duty assignments are made by the Squadron Commander or Deputy Commander for Cadets, it is them who need to determine who's more qualified to do what. It's also their call whether one cadet holds more than one position or not.

Based on the information provided, there's nothing wrong with the Cadet Commander also being the WCAC Representative and C/ESO. The only position that seems redundant is the Executive Officer.

If the OP has an issue with the way his cadet organization is structured, then he needs to address that with his Commander or Deputy Commander for Cadets.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the C/CC being the WCAC rep and the C/ESO. I see your point about the CC and CDC having authority over duty assignments. I was just trying to get a feel for the situation. One thing I've learned on CAP Talk is never post assuming things. For all I know the C/CC and this soon to be C/2d Lt are the only two officers in the squadron. Maybe the detail with the airmen went to far, but I was just trying.

Cadet CMSgt

You have
Cap. As CC AND EXO
2nd. Lt is first sergeant and DC
Smsgt.'s as flight commander
Me a chief and a msgt. As flight sergeants.
Then the flights.
We have 4 officers
1 chief(me)
3 SMSgts.
2 Msgt.
1 tech
2 maybe 3 staff
3 senior airmen
5 A1C's
6 airman
And
Maybe 9 AB's

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 20, 2015, 02:37:33 AM

Your unit's First Sergeant is a C/2d Lt? There's something very wrong with that picture. A C/MSgt, C/SMSgt or C/CMSgt should be assigned to that position. If no suitable C/NCOs are available for the First Sergeant position, then the position should be left vacant.

If you haven't already, I recommend you become familiar with CAPP 52-15, Cadet Staff Handbook, as it provides guidelines on how to structure the cadet staff.

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 20, 2015, 03:16:04 AM

Your unit's First Sergeant is a C/2d Lt? There's something very wrong with that picture.

They also have a C/SMSgt as flight commander but a C/CMSgt as a flight sergeant.  Unless that C/SMSgt is a flight commander for the C/MSgt.  But then, I would ask why have a C/SMSgt as a flight commander and C/2d Lt as a 1SG?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: LSThiker on August 20, 2015, 03:39:33 AM

Your unit's First Sergeant is a C/2d Lt? There's something very wrong with that picture.

They also have a C/SMSgt as flight commander but a C/CMSgt as a flight sergeant.  Unless that C/SMSgt is a flight commander for the C/MSgt.  But then, I would ask why have a C/SMSgt as a flight commander and C/2d Lt as a 1SG?

That one I can understand. If you have two cadets with the same grade assigned to the Flight Sergeant and Flight Commander positions and the next month the Flight Sergeant gets promoted, then you end up with that situation. Should you switch positions when that happens? Not necessarily. Especially because cadets can promote so quickly and it may not be practical to change the staff every couple of months.

Spam

Chief Gregg:

1/ Your situation is not unique. This will be the second time this week I've recommended that senior member officer staff should attend and participate in the (SM only) Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC) class, which has an exercise for officers to use the CAP publications to step through this exact analysis (manning and staffing of the cadet staff).  If at all possible to do so tactfully, perhaps you could mention to your CDC (Deputy Commander for Cadets) that you'd heard of this TLC course on line, which contains resource material in how to do this. See:
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/index.cfm
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/tlc-instructors/

I say again, tactfully, politely, and in a manner which does not imply criticism. (I'm not real good at that myself, honestly)...

2/ Your concerns regarding duty assignments are valid, yet as other posters have pointed out, the Squadron Commander (CC), not Cadet Commander (C/CC) or Deputy Commander for Cadets (CDC) is the single person responsible for duty assignments, often acting on recommendations tendered to him/her from the CDC, based on suggestions/analyses from the current cadet commander/staff.  A good CO will seek staff inputs (should you politely state your case) but once a decision is made your job is to execute - not to pursue disagreement past his/her decision point.

3/  Having said that - what can you contribute/suggest constructively?  One factor which you or they might not be aware is that there is room within eServices to have multiple cadets in a given staff position, which enables training cadets to learn to work as a team. For example, the Duty Assignment module ("Personnel/Duty Assignment/Assign Cadet Duties") allows both Cadet ES Officers and Cadet ES NCOs - which would seem to fit your specific bill. In my unit I routinely have at least two cadets assigned to this functional department (I have between 8 - 10 cadet officers at any given time, and a bunch of C/NCOs, most of whom are SET qualified GTM3/2/1, so I try to find jobs for them to work together on).  May I suggest that there is room for a senior/junior mentoring relationship between two or more of you, which enables the junior to understudy the senior and to provide continuity for the unit once he promotes and moves on... so, try that on for size, and see if you'd suggest having BOTH of you team up as C/ESO and C/ESNCO.

4/  By bringing the eServices position assignment options to their notice, you may be subtly steering your officers to what are essentially position guides for cadet duty assignment, which are now hard coded into the eServices DP modules. (For example, I just input a junior cadets name as a test, and selected Command Section/First Sergeant, and the system pulls up a red text message, "*Duty recommends a of rank of C/MSgt or higher" as guidance to me as the unit CC).

Coupled with a respectful suggestion that there may be resources on the TLC site and in the regulations that we could all use (cadets and officers both), you might position yourself as a senior C/NCO who actually reads the regs, and makes concrete suggestions to improve teamwork, rather than a cadet who could come across as complaining about favoritism or nepotism.  Take the high road!

Best wishes,

Spam

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 20, 2015, 03:49:45 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on August 20, 2015, 03:39:33 AM

That one I can understand. If you have two cadets with the same grade assigned to the Flight Sergeant and Flight Commander positions and the next month the Flight Sergeant gets promoted, then you end up with that situation. Should you switch positions when that happens? Not necessarily. Especially because cadets can promote so quickly and it may not be practical to change the staff every couple of months.
I am the CMSgt i have a smsgt as my flight commander and im promoting to cmsgt 2nd phase next month. Thw cadet commander is always saying position over rank? Theres no such thing. The positions come with rank. I am in the position a staff and tech sgt should be in.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Spam on August 20, 2015, 05:26:31 AM
Chief Gregg:

1/ Your situation is not unique. This will be the second time this week I've recommended that senior member officer staff should attend and participate in the (SM only) Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC) class, which has an exercise for officers to use the CAP publications to step through this exact analysis (manning and staffing of the cadet staff).  If at all possible to do so tactfully, perhaps you could mention to your CDC (Deputy Commander for Cadets) that you'd heard of this TLC course on line, which contains resource material in how to do this. See:
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/index.cfm
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/tlc-instructors/

I say again, tactfully, politely, and in a manner which does not imply criticism. (I'm not real good at that myself, honestly)...

2/ Your concerns regarding duty assignments are valid, yet as other posters have pointed out, the Squadron Commander (CC), not Cadet Commander (C/CC) or Deputy Commander for Cadets (CDC) is the single person responsible for duty assignments, often acting on recommendations tendered to him/her from the CDC, based on suggestions/analyses from the current cadet commander/staff.  A good CO will seek staff inputs (should you politely state your case) but once a decision is made your job is to execute - not to pursue disagreement past his/her decision point.

3/  Having said that - what can you contribute/suggest constructively?  One factor which you or they might not be aware is that there is room within eServices to have multiple cadets in a given staff position, which enables training cadets to learn to work as a team. For example, the Duty Assignment module ("Personnel/Duty Assignment/Assign Cadet Duties") allows both Cadet ES Officers and Cadet ES NCOs - which would seem to fit your specific bill. In my unit I routinely have at least two cadets assigned to this functional department (I have between 8 - 10 cadet officers at any given time, and a bunch of C/NCOs, most of whom are SET qualified GTM3/2/1, so I try to find jobs for them to work together on).  May I suggest that there is room for a senior/junior mentoring relationship between two or more of you, which enables the junior to understudy the senior and to provide continuity for the unit once he promotes and moves on... so, try that on for size, and see if you'd suggest having BOTH of you team up as C/ESO and C/ESNCO.

4/  By bringing the eServices position assignment options to their notice, you may be subtly steering your officers to what are essentially position guides for cadet duty assignment, which are now hard coded into the eServices DP modules. (For example, I just input a junior cadets name as a test, and selected Command Section/First Sergeant, and the system pulls up a red text message, "*Duty recommends a of rank of C/MSgt or higher" as guidance to me as the unit CC).

Coupled with a respectful suggestion that there may be resources on the TLC site and in the regulations that we could all use (cadets and officers both), you might position yourself as a senior C/NCO who actually reads the regs, and makes concrete suggestions to improve teamwork, rather than a cadet who could come across as complaining about favoritism or nepotism.  Take the high road!

Best wishes,

Spam
Thank you Spam this should be of much needed help.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 20, 2015, 12:16:52 AM
Especially if this C/CC is the C/XO and the ES officer, which would be supervised by the C/XO. :) In reality there is no C/XO, because it is impossible for a C/ESO to be supervised by himself.

Funny enough, there are a lot of people in leadership positions that would actually believe it can be done :P

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 06:43:02 PM
Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on August 20, 2015, 12:16:52 AM

Funny enough, there are a lot of people in leadership positions that would actually believe it can be done [emoji14]
Its even better that the highest ranked nco in the squadron is in the lowest staff position under lower ranked nco's

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 20, 2015, 05:54:56 AM
I am the CMSgt i have a smsgt as my flight commander and im promoting to cmsgt 2nd phase next month. Thw cadet commander is always saying position over rank? Theres no such thing. The positions come with rank. I am in the position a staff and tech sgt should be in.

You're the C/CMSgt, and perhaps the C/SMSgt is in that position because he was deemed to be better suited for it.

No such thing as Position over Rank Grade? Guess the LtCol in our unit should coup the new Squadron Commander Captain. I'll be back, have to send some emails.

While positions certainly relate to grade, they don't have to be. Yes, it makes no sense to have a C/Officer as the Flight Sergeant or First Sergeant. Yes, for First Sergeant there are requirements of C/MSgt-C/CMSgt, and C/Capt for C/CC. But overall? It's up to the SMs in charge to run the program as they deem fit.

I've got a C/SSgt as a Flight Sergeant and a C/CMSgt who isn't in a line staff job.

Reasons for not having a cadet in a "grade appropriate" position vary from attendance/time/commitment/maturity/want.

I'm getting a distinct vibe that you FEEL like you should be higher up, and don't like having to report to someone "below" you in terms of stripes. If that's the case, address it with the chain of command (on the senior side). If you don't like it, feel free to escalate, but also be ready to deal with the consequences.

Cadet CMSgt

Ok so i know your not trying to say im a terrible cadet. I know that. Ive been calling drill and doing drill for 4-5 years and went to merhga this summer i love drill ive been told im good at drill. I love leading others and following. But i was put there because the cadet commander didnt want me part of promotion board.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 20, 2015, 05:54:56 AM

You're the C/CMSgt, and perhaps the C/SMSgt is in that position because he was deemed to be better suited for it.

No such thing as Position over Rank Grade? Guess the LtCol in our unit should coup the new Squadron Commander Captain. I'll be back, have to send some emails.

While positions certainly relate to grade, they don't have to be. Yes, it makes no sense to have a C/Officer as the Flight Sergeant or First Sergeant. Yes, for First Sergeant there are requirements of C/MSgt-C/CMSgt, and C/Capt for C/CC. But overall? It's up to the SMs in charge to run the program as they deem fit.

I've got a C/SSgt as a Flight Sergeant and a C/CMSgt who isn't in a line staff job.

Reasons for not having a cadet in a "grade appropriate" position vary from attendance/time/commitment/maturity/want.

I'm getting a distinct vibe that you FEEL like you should be higher up, and don't like having to report to someone "below" you in terms of stripes. If that's the case, address it with the chain of command (on the senior side). If you don't like it, feel free to escalate, but also be ready to deal with the consequences.
I mean i agree with what your saying but the cadet over me is just not mature at time doesnt wear uniform properly at times and cant call commands on the roght foot. I will admit i dislike reporting to a lower ranked cadet its downgrading to me mostly because ive worked on staff for going on two years and i was hoping to move up the chain instead i get stuck as a flight sergeant. It makes no since. Ive been working hard and showing up to everything was even willing this past monday night to turn my essay in and do the speech the same night so i could promote next month.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 06:53:04 PM
Ok so i know your not trying to say im a terrible cadet.

Of course not. There are no terrible cadets. Those that were are all former cadets.

Ive been calling drill and doing drill for 4-5 years and went to merhga this summer i love drill ive been told im good at drill.

So you're a C/CMSgt with 4-5 years in CAP? While I'm all for "slower" promotions, that's a bit too long. Outside of that? I've got no way to judge your drill skills, but that's only a small part of being a flight commander/sergeant.

I love leading others and following. But i was put there because the cadet commander didnt want me part of promotion board.

The CDC had to approve those selections. Take it up with him/her.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:02:07 PM
Ok so i know your not trying to say im a terrible cadet.

Of course not. There are no terrible cadets. Those that were are all former cadets.

Ive been calling drill and doing drill for 4-5 years and went to merhga this summer i love drill ive been told im good at drill.

So you're a C/CMSgt with 4-5 years in CAP? While I'm all for "slower" promotions, that's a bit too long. Outside of that? I've got no way to judge your drill skills, but that's only a small part of being a flight commander/sergeant.

I love leading others and following. But i was put there because the cadet commander didnt want me part of promotion board.

The CDC had to approve those selections. Take it up with him/her.

Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in rotc before hand. I was also trained by my dad before that in a few things but. I guess your right I don't like reporting to a younger cadet. Im 18 and he's 14. I just seem embarrassed by the fact a 14 year old is in charge of me. Im sorry for getting a little mad at you for what you said.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 06:59:27 PM
I mean i agree with what your saying but the cadet over me is just not mature at time doesnt wear uniform properly at times and cant call commands on the roght foot.

Maturity is also showing respect for your superiors.

I will admit i doslije reporting to a lower ranked cadet its downgrading to me mostly because ive worked on staff for going on two years and i was hoping to move up the chain instead i get stuck as a flight sergeant.

What reasons were you given?

It makes no since.

BTDT. It really depends.

Ive been working hard and showing up to everything was even willing this past monday night to turn my essay in and do the speech the same night so i could promote next month.

BTDT. Most of my cadets aren't so lucky. With the exception of one so far, everyone has had to revise their essays at least once, before giving the speech.

Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in rotc before hand.

So you're about 18-19?

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

I mean i agree with what your saying but the cadet over me is just not mature at time doesnt wear uniform properly at times and cant call commands on the roght foot.

I will admit i doslije reporting to a lower ranked cadet its downgrading to me mostly because ive worked on staff for going on two years and i was hoping to move up the chain instead i get stuck as a flight sergeant.

It makes no since.

BTDT. It really depends.

Ive been working hard and showing up to everything was even willing this past monday night to turn my essay in and do the speech the same night so i could promote next month.

BTDT. Most of my cadets aren't so lucky. With the exception of one so far, everyone has had to revise their essays at least once, before giving the speech.

So you're about 18-19?
I was never given any reasons.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

It makes no since.

BTDT. It really depends.

So you're about 18-19?
And yes Sir I'm 18 years old.

Майор Хаткевич

In case it's not obvious, I'm implying that you should take your grievances to the CDC, and go from there.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on August 26, 2015, 07:13:12 PM
In case it's not obvious, I'm implying that you should take your grievances to the CDC, and go from there.
Yes Sir thank you. I'm sorry. I just don't like to bring things to my squadron because i get turned down a lot by C/CC and it never makes it up the chain. So i guess you can say i have 2 years of anger in things i think shouldnt be happening the way they are happening. So im sorry for my anger.

Storm Chaser

To put things into perspective, I'm a Maj and a Group Commander. My Group Deputy Commander and several staff officers and squadron commanders are Lt Cols. While grade is important and taken into account when assigning duty positions, it's not always the decisive factor. You also have to keep in mind that members can and often are promoted while in a duty assignment. That was the case of my Deputy Commander, who was a Maj when appointed, but was promoted several months later to Lt Col.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:17:07 PM
Yes Sir thank you. I'm sorry. I just don't like to bring things to my squadron because i get turned down a lot by C/CC and it never makes it up the chain. So i guess you can say i have 2 years of anger in things i think shouldnt be happening the way they are happening. So im sorry for my anger.

If you're not getting the answer or resolution you're looking for from the Cadet Commander, you can always go to the Deputy Commander for Cadets or Squadron Commander. That is the chain of command. One link in the chain can't stop you from going to the next, especially if that link is another cadet.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:03:13 PM
Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in jrotc before hand. I was also trained by my dad before that in a few things but. I guess your right I don't like reporting to a younger cadet. Im 18 and he's 14. I just seem embarrassed by the fact a 14 year old is in charge of me. Im sorry for getting a little mad at you for what you said.

Fix that for ya  ;)

Now you know how 50-year-old Sergeant Majors feel when a 22-year-old Second Lieutenant gets put in charge of them.

But the key is knowing who your boss is and why they're your boss. Sometimes you might not agree, and it's absolutely frustrating, but part of being a responsible person, especially in a position of authority such as yours, is to man up and deal with the hand you've been dealt.

If you plan on staying in CAP and transitioning to become a Senior Member/Officer, you also need to remember that you aren't suddenly outranking everyone and throwing your authority around now that you finally hit the big leagues. Stay within your chain of command, and execute your duties and responsibilities accordingly and appropriately.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 26, 2015, 07:33:28 PM

If you're not getting the answer or resolution you're looking for from the Cadet Commander, you can always go to the Deputy Commander for Cadets or Squadron Commander. That is the chain of command. One link in the chain can't stop you from going to the next, especially if that link is another cadet.
Well with the new C/CC hes gotten on to me for doing that before. So thats why i don't.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 07:38:47 PM
Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:03:13 PM
Ive only been in CAP for 2.5 years i was in jrotc before hand. I was also trained by my dad before that in a few things but. I guess your right I don't like reporting to a younger cadet. Im 18 and he's 14. I just seem embarrassed by the fact a 14 year old is in charge of me. Im sorry for getting a little mad at you for what you said.

Fix that for ya  ;)

Now you know how 50-year-old Sergeant Majors feel when a 22-year-old Second Lieutenant gets put in charge of them.

But the key is knowing who your boss is and why they're your boss. Sometimes you might not agree, and it's absolutely frustrating, but part of being a responsible person, especially in a position of authority such as yours, is to man up and deal with the hand you've been dealt.

If you plan on staying in CAP and transitioning to become a Senior Member/Officer, you also need to remember that you aren't suddenly outranking everyone and throwing your authority around now that you finally hit the big leagues. Stay within your chain of command, and execute your duties and responsibilities accordingly and appropriately.
Yes sir/ma'am(not sure which to choose.)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:39:03 PM

Well with the new C/CC hes gotten on to me for doing that before. So thats why i don't.

I think you need to provide a little extra detail on that issue before it can be better addressed.

It sounds like you went over his head previously and he wasn't too happy about it, which can be understandable, even if what you did was appropriate. But I don't want to assume anything on this and give advice when I don't know all of the facts.

Neither.

There's no rank/grade here. This is a place for discussion and sharing ideas/information, not a place for saluting.  ;)

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 07:42:22 PM
Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:39:03 PM

I think you need to provide a little extra detail on that issue before it can be better addressed.

It sounds like you went over his head previously and he wasn't too happy about it, which can be understandable, even if what you did was appropriate. But I don't want to assume anything on this and give advice when I don't know all of the facts.

Neither.

There's no rank/grade here. This is a place for discussion and sharing ideas/information, not a place for saluting.  ;)
Its still sir or ma'am. And i haven't gone over him. Ive gone to the C/CC and if that didn't work he sent me to a senior member.

TheSkyHornet

....I am indeed male >_>

Any more specificity than that?

I'm really not getting the issue here, other than you have a problem with the person above you, which could be very well legitimate. But what's happening when you go beyond that person? Is (are) your problem(s) being resolved?

Quote from: lordmonar on August 20, 2015, 01:09:56 AM

While true, unfortunately, my squadron commander doesn't always agree with that, feeling "the cadets run themselves." The way our cadet command has morphed in the past month really doesn't please me at the moment, and makes my job more difficult as the leadership officer and activities officer.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 07:49:41 PM
....I am indeed male >_>

I'm really not getting the issue here, other than you have a problem with the person above you, which could be very well legitimate. But what's happening when you go beyond that person? Is (are) your problem(s) being resolved?
Usually yes but then later I'm pulled aside by C/DC or now C/CC an lectured about how broke the chain. But i didn't. :(

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:53:13 PM
....I am indeed male >_>

Usually yes but then later I'm pulled aside by C/DC or now C/CC an lectured about how broke the chain. But i didn't. :(

So, correct me if I'm mistaken....

You went to the C/CC on an issue, who directed you to the DCC, and then C/CC chewed you out after? Or am I missing something in this

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 07:54:46 PM
....I am indeed male >_>

You went to the C/CC on an issue, who directed you to the DCC, and then C/CC chewed you out after? Or am I missing something in this
You are correct and the new C/CC doesnt. Direct me to senior members if he can't help me. He forgets it ever came up. So then I'd take it up the chain.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 08:03:01 PM
....I am indeed male >_>

You are correct and the new C/CC doesnt. Direct me to senior members if he can't help me. He forgets it ever came up. So then I'd take it up the chain.

Oooookay. Now I'm getting it.

Try this---
Ask your C/CC if you two can talk in private. Explain to him your issue that you feel the chain of command isn't helping solve certain problems that are being brought to their attention, and when someone has to jump a link in the chain when something isn't addressed, people are getting chastised for it.

Keep in mind, there is a possibility that maybe you aren't in the right on certain issues. Not everything needs to be "resolved" just because one person thinks it does. Their way of addressing a problem could be considering it not to be a problem. But if this is a repeat problem with multiple issues, then this is something to perhaps discuss with the DCC as an ongoing concern with the cadet chain of command.

I really can't jump to that conclusion of "OMG! You're right and they're totally wrong with the way they're doing things!" That might not actually be the case, so excuse me if I don't take sides here. It seems like you have an issue with problems being addressed in your squadron, and very little is being done to help correct whatever the negative situations might be.

There's not a whole lot more to offer you since I don't have much knowledge of whatever the problems are that you're having. The details are lacking to really help dig down deep and give you a more solid answer. If it's something more private that you just don't feel like sharing on an open forum, shoot a message to me, but other than that, I can't give much better advice.

Storm Chaser

The chain of command is clear. You should always try to resolve issues at the lowest level possible. But if your issue is not being resolved, then you go to the next level. That's not breaking the chain of command, especially when you keep your supervisor or commander informed. In addition, cadets are allowed to go to senior members to resolve issues other cadets can't resolve. You don't need permission from the cadet commander for that.

If you have issues with assignments, promotions, awards, qualifications, testing, waivers, approvals, etc., then there's nothing your cadet commander can do because it's not up to him or her to resolve those issues, but up to your commander or deputy commander for cadets. Sometimes cadets overstep their authority and that's when you need to get your commander involved.

Cadet CMSgt

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 26, 2015, 08:13:54 PM
Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 08:03:01 PM
....I am indeed male >_>

Oooookay. Now I'm getting it.

Try this---
Ask your C/CC if you two can talk in private. Explain to him your issue that you feel the chain of command isn't helping solve certain problems that are being brought to their attention, and when someone has to jump a link in the chain when something isn't addressed, people are getting chastised for it.

Keep in mind, there is a possibility that maybe you aren't in the right on certain issues. Not everything needs to be "resolved" just because one person thinks it does. Their way of addressing a problem could be considering it not to be a problem. But if this is a repeat problem with multiple issues, then this is something to perhaps discuss with the DCC as an ongoing concern with the cadet chain of command.

I really can't jump to that conclusion of "OMG! You're right and they're totally wrong with the way they're doing things!" That might not actually be the case, so excuse me if I don't take sides here. It seems like you have an issue with problems being addressed in your squadron, and very little is being done to help correct whatever the negative situations might be.

There's not a whole lot more to offer you since I don't have much knowledge of whatever the problems are that you're having. The details are lacking to really help dig down deep and give you a more solid answer. If it's something more private that you just don't feel like sharing on an open forum, shoot a message to me, but other than that, I can't give much better advice.
Your fine Sir you've helped greatly and I will take this to my C/CC and maybe DCC at the same time. I hope this will help with any future problems. And I understand not taking sides i wouldn't either. Thank you.