What are the differences between CAP and JROTC?

Started by Woodsy, May 08, 2011, 08:04:13 PM

Woodsy

As the PAO and R&R Officer, I'm putting together some materials and supplies in preparation for having booth at a few events.  My squadron has never had much of a PA program or community presence so we're trying to change that.  While developing a list of questions which might be asked by a potential recruit, I found myself stuck on "what are the differences between the CAP cadet program and a JROTC program?" 

I don't know much about JROTC programs and really don't know much about the CAP cadet program either.  The seniors in my squadron are very ES oriented and except for the ones that run the cadet program, we don't think about the cadet side of the house too much.  But since I'm the PAO I have to do some stuff for them too, it wouldn't be right to run a recruiting booth with just senior stuff.  I've "crossed lines" into the cadets side and have enlisted a few of them to help me out.  They really didn't know how to answer the question because they have no experience with JROTC.  So if someone that has experience (or knowledge) with both could brief me on what the fundamental differences are that would be great.  Thanks!

coudano

I don't know where you live, but one HUGE difference here where I live is that CAP is available in the local area,
but the closest JROTC stuff is over 2 hours drive from here.

MSG Mac

AFJROTC's cadre are retired Officers and NCO's who are members of the school faculty. CAP is all volunteer
CAP grades are earned and permenant. AFROTC's grades are assigned by school class (Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, Senior) and position within the unit.
Air Force pays for all activities, uniforms, and insignia; CAP buys it's own
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jimmydeanno

CAP: Community Based, all volunteers
Has a "real-world" mission that cadets can participate in (Emergency Services)

JROTC: School Based, paid instructors
No real impact except for on the cadets themselves.  No "real-world" mission that they do.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 08, 2011, 10:13:19 PM
CAP: Community Based, all volunteers
Has a "real-world" mission that cadets can participate in (Emergency Services)

JROTC: School Based, paid instructors
No real impact except for on the cadets themselves.  No "real-world" mission that they do.

JROTC's main purpose - to feed qualified applicants into ROTC. They also produce a number of enlistments too.

Woodsy

Ok, so it would be correct to say that JROTC is more of a recruitment tool, whereas CAP is more about the development of the individual cadet, with more of a community service focus?

What I'm looking for is an answer to the question "Why should I join CAP rather than JROTC?"  Here in this area all of the high schools have a JROTC program, making it readily available.  Also I think some of our cadets are also involved in JROTC programs at their schools.  What would you say are the benefits of CAP over JROTC?  Any negatives?

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions for recruiting cadets I'd love to her them.  As I said I'm not to familiar with the cadet program so need all the help I can get. 

jimmydeanno

Areas with JROTC are tough.  CAP isn't going to compete with them head-to-head from a community based squadron.  The JROTC cadets that you'll get will be the ones that like doing military stuff.  Many of the JROTC cadets join because it's better than doing gym class.  When you have a military program that actually gives you a school grade and is an easy A, something that is similar isn't going to draw people away when it doesn't have the school grade benefit.

This is compounded more when you take into consideration that CAP flies JROTC orientation flights.  But, like I said before, the ones you'll get to do both just like doing military stuff.  You aren't going to want the ones that do JROTC because they're trying to get out of something else.  They tend to apply the same thought-process to their CAP time.

Get them before high-school, before they join JROTC, get involved in high-school sports, etc.  Once they hit freshman year their commitments go up and CAP drops down the list.  Hit airshows, home-school groups, community centers, middle-schools, etc.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Woodsy

We're planning on going into schools after classes start in the fall.  We're going to focus on middle schools like you said.  Also, there's some big home school trade show here this summer that we're trying to have a booth at.

With the competition from JROTC, it sounds like the best way to go may be a differentiation strategy and focus on the ES.  My squadron is very active in ES and we have a SAREX at least once a month, and smaller scale stuff several weekends.  That might spark more interest.  But, in a city of a million plus (Jacksonville) there's plenty of competition out there I suppose. 

NCRblues

Quote from: Woodsy on May 09, 2011, 03:20:58 AM
We're planning on going into schools after classes start in the fall.  We're going to focus on middle schools like you said.  Also, there's some big home school trade show here this summer that we're trying to have a booth at.

With the competition from JROTC, it sounds like the best way to go may be a differentiation strategy and focus on the ES.  My squadron is very active in ES and we have a SAREX at least once a month, and smaller scale stuff several weekends.  That might spark more interest.  But, in a city of a million plus (Jacksonville) there's plenty of competition out there I suppose.

IMHO (and I'm sure i will get jumped for this, but this is what i see)

to home schoolers, CAP = babysitters, so the parents can have time alone... sometimes the kids are fine, other times the kids resent being "dropped off" and left for weekends and meetings. I don't have a problem with this kids, but a problem with parents mind set about CAP in general. It might be different around your area, but in my area  99 times out of 100 we are babysitters....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Arkbird

I am currently a cadet in both CAP and NJROTC.  In my JROTC unit, the main thing we do is drill, competitions and the rare trip to a military base.  The biggest difference I have noticed is that JROTC has the paid instructors.  A big disadvantage I have noticed though is that because it is a school class, you have some that are in there just for the easy A.  That can make it difficult for a unit to function well.  Some cadets join CAP over JROTC because of the NCSAs and ES opportunities.  As far as JROTC summer activities go, in my unit we send 1 cadet (the future cadet commander) to a leadership school but that is it.  The O Flights and the opportunity to get flight training also seem to get cadets to chose CAP over JROTC.  As far as JROTC being a recruitment tool, in my unit last year we only had 1 cadet go military and it was the same for the class of '09.  It should be noted though that just as all CAP squadrons are different, so are JROTC units. So, YMMV.
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

sneakers

I know in a JROTC unit near me, there are no haircut standards (or if there are, they are never enforced) and it is rather lax. I've met JROTC members who are excellent, but many times I feel CAP is a step above, at least in the professionalism and military bearing side of things. Perhaps you could attract cadets who are more serious if your squadron is more focused than the JROTC units near you.