Information Technology Specialty Track

Started by Pylon, March 02, 2005, 11:40:58 AM

Lancer

The problem I see, and it's prevalent throughout CAP in many areas, is that instead of a 'top down' approach to the implementation of ideas to further our efforts, we have many 'cowboy' efforts throughout the organization to try and better things for all involved.

Now before everyone starts whining about this being the only way to do things within CAP, I tend to disagree. I find nothing wrong with a grassroots effort for change and or implementation of ideas, but if the execution is wrong, if the intent is wrong, then all you do is wind up re-inventing the wheel someone else just tried to do months or years prior.

NHQ should take the lead with a project such as this, but, and it's a big one that you'll all agree with; involvement throughout the organization is VERY necessary! Squelching out the general membership is NOT the way to make a volunteer organization such as ours function.

I applaud the efforts of those involved in trying to make this work, and we all need to understand that MOST of us already have full time jobs that take %100 of our time. This is why it is important to spread reasonability for projects like this out. There is a good many of us, just on CAPtalk, that are members of the IT community that could contribute to this effort. I for one would love to be a part of it.

Let's not drowned ourselves in the white noise of what seems to kill many great ideas.

Dragoon

Quote from: shorning on January 07, 2007, 08:38:54 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on January 07, 2007, 07:59:12 PM
I can't wait to see where this falls in 20-1.

Hopefully, it won't be listed as a mandatory postion in every squadron. 

Not every job in 20-1 is required to be filled despite what many people think.  I've said it before, you've got to fill those positions you need to accomplish your unit's mission.

I've never seen a position listed as optional. I HAVE seen a unit fail an inspection because of a position not filled. (rightly or wrongly).

My concern is that first we have an IT officer in every squadron.  THEN we have a mandatory monthly IT officer report that the poor squadron CC ends up filling out every month (which basically says - we don't have any IT!)  Then the Wing IT guy starts beating up the squadron commanders because they didn't send a representative to the monthly Wing IT Officer's meeting.....

I just want to see the word "optional" in writing.  It would sure save us some grief.

afgeo4

Quote from: Dragoon on January 08, 2007, 03:43:02 PM
Quote from: shorning on January 07, 2007, 08:38:54 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on January 07, 2007, 07:59:12 PM
I can't wait to see where this falls in 20-1.

Hopefully, it won't be listed as a mandatory postion in every squadron. 

Not every job in 20-1 is required to be filled despite what many people think.  I've said it before, you've got to fill those positions you need to accomplish your unit's mission.

I've never seen a position listed as optional. I HAVE seen a unit fail and inspection because of a position not filled. (rightly or wrongly).

My concern is that first we have an IT officer in every squadron.  THEN we have a mandatory monthly IT officer report that the poor squadron CC ends up filling out every month (which basically says - we don't have any IT!)  Then the Wing IT guy starts beating up the squadron commanders because they didn't send a representative to the monthly Wing IT Officer's meeting.....

I just want to see the word "optional" in writing.  It would sure save us some grief.
but then what would the fun be?
???
GEORGE LURYE