Main Menu

RWCC

Started by Pylon, May 17, 2006, 09:29:43 PM

Pylon

So, how many of you have been to a Region & Wing Commander's Course?

And, while on that topic, how does one go about applying for such professional development activities?  Is it "invite only" or can anybody at the appropriate level of PD attend?  Are they held regularly around the US?

I spotted an article about a recent RWCC in the latest issue of the Volunteer and it spiked my interest.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

shorning

IIRC, that is the "charm school" that every Wing/Region Commander is required to attend in their first year (?) of command.  So, yes, it's "invite only"...unless...are you volunteering for one of those positions?   ;D

Pylon

Quote from: shorning on May 17, 2006, 10:32:54 PM
IIRC, that is the "charm school" that every Wing/Region Commander is required to attend in their first year (?) of command.  So, yes, it's "invite only"...unless...are you volunteering for one of those positions?   ;D

Well I'm not so sure it's just for current and elected Wing Kings and Region CCs.  The Volunteer made it sound like potential future commanders also took the course, and there definitely were some silver oakleaves in the photo of the course participants.  I was just wondering if, after RSC, it was something I could get into.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

shorning

Quote from: Pylon on May 18, 2006, 05:04:06 AM
...and there definitely were some silver oakleaves in the photo of the course participants.

Interim Wing Commanders have attended too.  They don't get promoted until they are no longer "interim".  My understanding is that you have to be a Region/Wing Commander or about to be one.  I don't not think it's a PD option just because you want to attend.  If it were, it should be after NSC, not RSC.

CAPOfficer

I seem to recall a couple of Region Vice Commander's attending previously.

JCJ

The course is intended for new corporate officers.  Other senior leaders, such as vice commanders, attend if space is available and after nomination by their wing or region CC.

O-Rex

Quote from: CAPOfficer on February 22, 2007, 12:15:05 AM
I seem to recall a couple of Region Vice Commander's attending previously.

Usually heir-apparents. . .

Al Sayre

IIRC, you can actually throw your hat in the ring for Wing CC as a Major...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Monty

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 22, 2007, 01:47:46 PM

Yup.....seen quite a few Wing CCs go from Major to Colonel.  To my (admittedly-limited at times) understanding, there are no ProDev or Rank requirements for initial consideration for the Wing King/Queen slot.

Those expectations come after appointment.....  :)

shorning

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 22, 2007, 01:47:46 PM

I've seen a couple captains too.  Granted it was a smaller wing...

DNall

There's rules on that now, Major & Lvl IV, there's a special reg that covers that & the selection process. Forget teh number off the top of my head, but it's listed.

shorning

Quote from: shorning on February 22, 2007, 05:02:08 PM

DNall

Quote from: shorning on February 22, 2007, 05:02:08 PM
Was that recent though? Cause this new regs is, well, new. I guess it could be waived by the Nat/CC in an extremely special case, but it's hard to imagine even in a tiny wing you don't have qual'd people. And w/ the exception of PR or HA, we've been selecitng people from the next state over, seems like a lot lately.

shorning

Quote from: DNall on February 22, 2007, 05:21:57 PM
Was that recent though? Cause this new regs is, well, new.

Never said when it was.  Ya'll jumped to the conclusion that it was recent.  Just because something is in a reg today, doesn't mean it always has been, nor that it will be in the future.

DNall

Actually I assumed it was old, till you re-quoted yourself after the reg was posted, which seems to imply you saw this after the reg was in place. My mistake though, moving on.

ZigZag911

"These suggested guidelines are designed to assist region commanders in carrying out this responsibility in a timely, judicious manner and to standardize the selection process. The final decision concerning selection still rests with the region commander concerned."  (CAPR 35-9 (B) (3), 4 Nov 2001)

The regulation -- their term, not mine, a regulation is something that actually applies! -- lists minimum criteria for consideration as wing CC: major, Level IV, 3 years command/staff experience, 5 years total CAP membership.

The criteria, if actually followed, would be insufficient for the medium (1000 plus members) and larger wings; it would probably be sufficient for the smaller wings, since in terms of 'span of control', a small wing is comparable (in numbers of personnel & units, not in total responsibility -- please restrain your flames!) to a group command elsewhere.

The problem is that the 'guidelines' themselves are routinely ignored.

CAP needs checks and balances. A region commander's selection for wing CC should be approved by a National level board, representing National CC....it should include at least one CAP-USAF officer who has actually held USAF command (squadron or above).

It's one thing to choose like-minded people, sharing a common vision, with whom one can work....it is something else entirely to perpetuate the GOB network that has brought us to the current situation in CAP.

DNall

Well we're drifting, but why not just ahve all corporate officers confirmed by BoG (like the senate process). Region CC can still make the selections according to these guidelines & his judgement, submit the packet for prelim approval, and then interview before the board at the next meeting, can serve interm between now & then at LtCol. Seems pretty simple to me.